Rant: Why T-mobile sucks.

hopeless879

Mar 4, 2002
So I was planning on ordering the Nokia 3650 from Amazon because its free after rebate with a new contract. I decided to go to a T-mobile store before I ordered to check out the phone. At the store the rep. tells me I can sign up for the contract in the store and then order the phone from Amazon and still get the rebate.

So I sign up in the store to avoid the hassle of activation myself. I go home and try to order the phone from amazon only to find out that I can't qualify for the rebate unless I order the service through amazon. This gets me a little upset but I get over it. I call up T-mobile, tell them the story and they cancel the account I just created not less than 2 hours ago and tell me I should now be fine ordering from amazon.

So I go on to amazon to order, everything goes through fine. Today I get an email saying that amazon cancelled my order because T-mobile denied my service. I call up t-mobile again, a little peeved, they tell me that I cannot order the phone because I cancelled my contract within 90 days. Now they say there is absolutely nothing they can do for me and that I will have to wait until October (90 days) before I can get the phone from amazon and by then the rebate will be expired.

So because of one dumbass salesman, I cannot get my phone :|

Anyone have any suggestions about what I can do to be able to get this phone for free with T-mobile, or any other service?

That fscking blows - try going down to T-Mobile and bitching out the sales guy. He's the one who started all this in the first place. BTW, T-Mobile activation consists of you putting in the SIM card and waiting for a SMS with your phone number in it.

EDIT: I think the reason the rep told you to sign up in store is so that he can get commission off the activation. Go back there and demand that he give you his commission check.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
ROFL, how hard is it to activate a Tmobile phone ?

all you need to do is pop in a Sim card.

Drekce

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2000
It clearly says on Amazon.com that you must buy through them...where do you think they get their money. Along with that where do you think that salesman gets his money? Sounds like the salesman saw a "dumbass" customer and used it to his advantage. What he did was absolutely wrong, and I think that you should complain about him. I would.

BTW, I'm not trying to be a jerk to you, but looking at it from the outside that how it appears this situation occured.

hopeless879

Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Drekce
It clearly says on Amazon.com that you must buy through them...where do you think they get their money. Along with that where do you think that salesman gets his money? Sounds like the salesman saw a "dumbass" customer and used it to his advantage. What he did was absolutely wrong, and I think that you should complain about him. I would.

BTW, I'm not trying to be a jerk to you, but looking at it from the outside that how it appears this situation occured.

I was thinking about that too. The thing is I didnt pay a dime in the store. I'm sure he makes commission for every plan he sells, but I would assume he doesnt get it if the plan is cancelled withing 14 days. Either way I'm going there to b!tch tonight.

TJN23

Golden Member
May 4, 2002
so this isnt about how T-Mobile sucks, it's about one salesman who didn't know about Amazon's policies and inadvertently screwed you...

edit: go with sprint...get a pcs phone

Originally posted by: TJN23
so this isnt about how T-Mobile sucks, it's about one salesman who didn't know about Amazon's policies and inadvertently screwed you...
I think the salesman knew exactly what he was doing.

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
I got my Tmobile Service & Phone a little phone store near my house. Got my samsung s105 for 70 out the door and a 50 mail in rebate. I had thought about buying from amazon but the 200 MIR was just too much of a risk because I just might not get it back.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: HiTek21
I got my Tmobile Service & Phone a little phone store near my house. Got my samsung s105 for 70 out the door and a 50 mail in rebate. I had thought about buying from amazon but the 200 MIR was just too much of a risk because I just might not get it back.
Yeah I'm waiting for them to get back to me about where the fvck my $200 rebate is...I bought the phone if fvcking February and still haven't gotten it. :| :| :|

TJN23

Golden Member
May 4, 2002
Originally posted by: jumpr
I think the salesman knew exactly what he was doing.

thats probably true, but i too dont see how t mobile sucks because of all this...maybe cause of its salespeople? how about service (call reception)? i've heard good things about that...

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
Originally posted by: werk
Originally posted by: HiTek21
Yeah I'm waiting for them to get back to me about where the fvck my $200 rebate is...I bought the phone if fvcking February and still haven't gotten it. :| :| :|

I asked a couple of questions about buying a phone and someone said Amazon rebates take forever and a day, I sent in my Samsung rebate in and I just checked the status and it has been recieved but its going to take 3 months (minimum) to verify and send me my rebate

hopeless879

Mar 4, 2002

edit: go with sprint...get a pcs phone

Well, considering the salesman works for T-mobile and considering the 3 different customer service reps on the phone I spoke to all work for T-mobile, I am sticking by my original statement that T-mobile sucks since nobody was able to help me at all and they're screwing themselves out of money.

The only reason I like t-mobile is because their reception is outstanding in the Cleveland area and in the Columbus area. Which is where I am most of the time.

Anybody know how any other service providers are in those areas?

TJN23

Golden Member
May 4, 2002
well bad sales reps and CSR can definitely mean they suck...i think sprint's people suck too but again their network seems to be really good in the new england area

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
You can still get this to work. You just need to get a hold of the right people that can do the right things.

If you really want this to work out, find out who's in charge locally, regionally, etc. for the T-mobile store. Draft a letter to the store and/or corporate. At the very least, head in to the store and ask to speak with the salesman and/or manager. If they want you happy, they'll do something.

Explain that you were misled. It will become apparent that if they want your money, they will make it work. The base level of support can truly not do anything because you technically tripped off whatever flags that disqualify you. You need to get past the base level.

Nothing about this situation equates to "T-mobile sucks". You're dealing with a big business, and there's all sorts of potential red tape to get through.

Another thing: don't think that this round of rebates will be the last. I had my parents order a plan one day under the assumption that the rebate was only valid until the following monday. Turns out, a fresh new round of rebates started then.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
That sucks, but I'm sure there IS something they can do about it. Call customer care again.

EDIT: I think the reason the rep told you to sign up in store is so that he can get commission off the activation. Go back there and demand that he give you his commission check.
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif
I'm sorry, but that is one of the stupidest thing i've ever seen. First off, maybe he made a mistake, maybe he was told or otherwise thought he WOULD get the rebate? Highly doubtful he outright lied just to get commission. And even if he did, do you know how retail works? if something gets returned, you lose the commission.

Originally posted by: Deeko
That sucks, but I'm sure there IS something they can do about it. Call customer care again.

rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif
I'm sorry, but that is one of the stupidest thing i've ever seen. First off, maybe he made a mistake, maybe he was told or otherwise thought he WOULD get the rebate? Highly doubtful he outright lied just to get commission. And even if he did, do you know how retail works? if something gets returned, you lose the commission.
It's possible that the rep thought that when Amazon didn't work out, hopeless879 would come back and just end up buying the phone from the store. Then his plan would have worked. So, from the salesman's POV, it's either: turn the customer away and make NO money, or sign the customer up with a plan and have a 50/50 shot at making money.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif
It's possible that the rep thought that when Amazon didn't work out, hopeless879 would come back and just end up buying the phone from the store. Then his plan would have worked. So, from the salesman's POV, it's either: turn the customer away and make NO money, or sign the customer up with a plan and have a 50/50 shot at making money.

It is possible that that was his train of thought, but he would have to be pretty stupid to think that. I am a retail salesman, and if I had outright lied to a customer like that, I certainly would expect it to be returned if they found out...hell, I expect things to come back even if I just make a little mistake. *shrug*

rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif

It is possible that that was his train of thought, but he would have to be pretty stupid to think that. I am a retail salesman, and if I had outright lied to a customer like that, I certainly would expect it to be returned if they found out...hell, I expect things to come back even if I just make a little mistake. *shrug*
I agree - it's very possible, even probable that the salesman just had no clue what he was saying, but it's possible that he did.

I know that you're an intelligent person, but I (having worked retail in a previous job) also know that the public can be pretty idiotic sometimes. I'm betting that the salesman was just uninformed, but either way he made a customer (a multi-hundred dollar asset, in terms of cell phone contracts) unintentionally unable to sign up. That makes him a bad salesman.

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002
Originally posted by: hopeless879
So I was planning on ordering the Nokia 3650 from Amazon because its free after rebate with a new contract. I decided to go to a T-mobile store before I ordered to check out the phone. At the store the rep. tells me I can sign up for the contract in the store and then order the phone from Amazon and still get the rebate.

So I sign up in the store to avoid the hassle of activation myself. I go home and try to order the phone from amazon only to find out that I can't qualify for the rebate unless I order the service through amazon. This gets me a little upset but I get over it. I call up T-mobile, tell them the story and they cancel the account I just created not less than 2 hours ago and tell me I should now be fine ordering from amazon.

So I go on to amazon to order, everything goes through fine. Today I get an email saying that amazon cancelled my order because T-mobile denied my service. I call up t-mobile again, a little peeved, they tell me that I cannot order the phone because I cancelled my contract within 90 days. Now they say there is absolutely nothing they can do for me and that I will have to wait until October (90 days) before I can get the phone from amazon and by then the rebate will be expired.

So because of one dumbass salesman, I cannot get my phone :|

Anyone have any suggestions about what I can do to be able to get this phone for free with T-mobile, or any other service?

Yeah, they pulled the same sh!t on us. :|

hopeless879

Mar 4, 2002

rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif

I also worked in retail for awhile (Best Buy) and I don't think he would intentionally do that and expect me to return. I will go back today to see if there is anything he can workout with amazon to get me the rebate. If not I will talk to a manager and see if theres any deal he can swing for me on the phone, such as taking money off on the spot (doubtful). Otherwise I will just keep calling customer service until I can get ahold of somebody that can do something for me.