RANT: Why does it seem like women are always the worst drivers

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Yeh, I read that, too.

Like it's been said young males seem to be the cause of these types of serious accidents more times than not.

Gimme 2 fender benders for one of those accidents any day!

These kids just need to learn how to drive correctly. Your Caddy is not a Nascar vehicle! There are people who drive fast, which isn't always bad, but there are those who drive too fast be it for conditions or just overall. They tend to think they can do things that are either impossible feats or something out of their skill set (corners too fast or whatever). Maybe people will learn that such concepts don't just magically come to you by watching Jeff Gordan.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: meltdown75
Need poll option for Asian women on cellphones.

Since most Asian women have to sit in the back seat, I don't mind if they're on a cell phone.

I'd be pretty bored if I was back there all alone while my husband and 6 year old son were chatting it up in the front.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: jbourne77
Originally posted by: meltdown75
Need poll option for Asian women on cellphones.

Since most Asian women have to sit in the back seat, I don't mind if they're on a cell phone.

I'd be pretty bored if I was back there all alone while my husband and 6 year old son were chatting it up in the front.
LOL - there's a can of worms in that post, I just know it!

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
women in expensive cars are even worse...they think they own the road :|

had one who decided that she's too good to wait in line for the light to turn green and decided to pass about 50 cars and stop her card next to mine. had the nerve to stare me right in the eyes and ask me to let her cut in line.

I did cuz she was hawt :p

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: FreshPrince
women in expensive cars are even worse...they think they own the road :|

had one who decided that she's too good to wait in line for the light to turn green and decided to pass about 50 cars and stop her card next to mine. had the nerve to stare me right in the eyes and ask me to let her cut in line.

I did cuz she was hawt :p

I can't imagine why she would think it's okay to do such a thing...

:confused:

Jahee

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2006
A coworker of mine as hit SEVEN DEER. She's infamous for it. She drove with one the carcasses ATTACHED TO HER UNDERCARRIAGE for TEN MILES. You could see the streak of meat from our parking lot at work all the way back to where she ran over it.

Oh my GOD! seriously though how can you not notice that, the drag alone would catch ur attention, i really dnt understand... :confused:

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Jahee
A coworker of mine as hit SEVEN DEER. She's infamous for it. She drove with one the carcasses ATTACHED TO HER UNDERCARRIAGE for TEN MILES. You could see the streak of meat from our parking lot at work all the way back to where she ran over it.

Oh my GOD! seriously though how can you not notice that, the drag alone would catch ur attention, i really dnt understand... :confused:

She is quite literally the dumbest, stupidest, most empty-headed person I've ever come into contact with. I cannot emphasize the infinitely small space between her and the realm of clinical retardation. She's one of those people who, when you see them for the first time and have yet to even hear a word from their mouths, causes you to think to yourself, "wow... what a fscking idiot*." She has these enormous eyes and whenever she's talking or listening her head bobbles like... well... a bobble-head doll.

I've been in her car with her. She's one of those people who will be yapping a mile a minute while pulling out into a four-lane road chock full of trucks and semis and, when they all start blaring their horns and swearing at her as they careen into ditches and signposts, she goes, "whoops!", while innocently giggling away the horror of what almost transpired.

She's nice and has a monstrous rack, though.

Jahee

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2006
Originally posted by: Jahee

She is quite literally the dumbest, stupidest, most empty-headed person I've ever come into contact with. I cannot emphasize the infinitely small space between her and the realm of clinical retardation. She's one of those people who, when you see them for the first time and have yet to even hear a word from their mouths, causes you to think to yourself, "wow... what a fscking idiot*." She has these enormous eyes and whenever she's talking or listening her head bobbles like... well... a bobble-head doll.

I've been in her car with her. She's one of those people who will be yapping a mile a minute while pulling out into a four-lane road chock full of trucks and semis and, when they all start blaring their horns and swearing at her as they careen into ditches and signposts, she goes, "whoops!", while innocently giggling away the horror of what almost transpired.

She's nice and has a monstrous rack, though.

:laugh: Haha, yeah i know the type!!

montanafan

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Originally posted by: kmr1212
Originally posted by: montanafan
Originally posted by: andy04
Driving is more about Taking control of... Taming... Overpowering the vehicle. These qualities are for MEN. women are more like ... to be controled, tamed, overpowered, that how nature has made them and intended to be... so... YES driving is not a female thing - they let the vehicle and the road control them.

Bwwwwaaaaaaaaahhaaaaaaaahaaaaaahaaaaaa<breath>haaaaaaaahaaaaaaahaaaaa
haaaaaaahaaaaaaahaaaaaaaa<wipes tears from eyes>aaaaaahaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaa
haaaaaahaaaaha! :p

Worst drivers

1) Old men wearing hats, not caps, hats.
2) Drunks of either gender.
3) Teenagers of both sexes. Boys being stupid and reckless. Girls being stupid and careless.
4) Young men in their 20s who think they are such excellent drivers that they are in complete control of the situation no matter how fast they are driving.
5) I haven't had much experience with Asian women drivers, but I'll go with the consensus here.
6) Tie - Men and women in a hurry who think that everyone else on the road are just in their way.
7) Tie - Men who think their vehicle is an extension of their masculinity. Women who think the car is a place to get everything else done that they should have done before they left the house.

did you post this while driving? :D

where is "Women who do their makeup, talk on cell phone, balance checkbook, and referee kids?"

Nah, I posted it while writing the check for my low insurance premium. :D

I bolded the answer to your second question in my previous quote.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: sixone
Maybe because you wouldn't have dared to throw that cup if a man had been behind the wheel?

LOL beat me to it ;)

"Why do I always tend to have more altercations with women than men..."

err... because women won't kick your ass for throwing sh*t at their car?

THAT SAID, I would have to agree with the OP. I'd order the Drivers of Death as follows:

1. OLD PEOPLE
Not enough sensory input available to make good driving decisions; inability to react to traffic conditions quickly enough; lack confidence to blend with traffic

2. TEENAGE GIRLS
Total lack of respect for the damage they can do with their car... as a result, reading AND talking on the phone WHILE sharing fries with backseat passenger are acceptable priorities over driving.

3. PEOPLE (male/female) ON CELL PHONE
Cell phone turns you into TEENAGE GIRL (see #2)

4. TEENAGE BOYS
Respects the vehicle a little more than teenage girls, but not enough to dissuade him from doing 100mph in a residential zone with his riced out '86 Civic. Causes fewer accidents than teenage girls, but does 10x the damage.

5. MOMS w/KIDS IN CAR
Lack of respect for car has somewhat carried over into adulthood and, as a result, will prioritize dealing with kids over dealing with car. DAD w/KIDS, on other hand, will keep focus on the road and simply promise to slaughter kids once at destination.

:thumbsup:

I live in FL and I will say the elderly are *by far* the most dangerous drivers.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
I think Urban people drive like crap too. I find it ironic, that they all wanna be "hard" and they'll steal a bunch of stuff, and rob you, but you better be damn sure they're not gonna approach the actual speed limit. 5mph under FTL. Stupid Savannah.

SoylentG

Oct 26, 2005
I think a lot of it is from Drivers' Education classes. In Texas, at least, parents can elect to teach their kids to drive. My fiance, as an example was taught by her parents. She's been in 3 accidents her whole life, if I'm remembering correctly, and all of them were because she wasn't paying attention. I beleive that when parents are teaching their kids to drive (or not teaching them, as I beleive is more appropriate), they don't relay the good driving habits that all drivers need...because they don't have them! Talk about a big blind leading the blind situation. One of my good friends was taught by his dad. His dad gets in about 2 accidents per year minimum as of late, and has had as many as 8 accidents in a single year before.

At any rate, in my Driver's Ed class, I noticed that 80% were males. If anyone has some numbers to back it up, I'd love to see them. To me, this says that either less teenage girls are driving (doubtful), or more teenage girls are learning to drive from their parents, rather than a licensed professional.

There may be genetic differences that contribute, but the skill of a driver largely depends on how you were taught. I treat driving as a priveledge, and am always careful to not be a contributing cause of an accident. I drive very defensively, and am always aware. Why? My dad would jump up my ass if he saw me not constantly checking my surroundings for the self-mandated 100 hours of drive time with him. I attribute my driving skill to my dad's insistence upon good driving habits. It's a rarity, I suppose.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
men on cell phones are the most dangerous because they should know better, so they have to be complete idiots.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: JujuFish
My mom has never had a point on her license, and my aunt has been ticketed once, for speeding.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that females tend to get out of more tickets then males. "ohhh boohooo, my boyfriend is a jerk and I'm having my period." "Okay, maam, just keep your speed down, okay?" One of my friends demonstrated how she got out of several speeding tickets - she could turn on the tears so effortlessly and 30 seconds later, be laughing about it.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: moshquerade
aren't 16-25 y/o males incurring the highest total amount of car accidents?

It seems that women's accidents usually involve inattentiveness or lack of spatial awareness, while men's accidents involve lack of judgement.

That's why you see lots of women get into minor fenderbenders that a man wouldn't make (like not being able to correctly guess how far the front/back end of the car sticks out), while men tend to push their judgment aside and do things a woman wouldn't do like take a turn way too fast or racing. These kinds of accidents often involve death.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
I have to give my #1 vote, BY FAR, to Asian women. They seem to have little or no control of the vehicle they're driving.

I'm dead serious, I see them often make extremely basic mistakes like cutting a corner too close and running over the curb, or hitting the car in front of them while pulling into a parking spot. I think if you gave them a test, Asian women would be by far the worst at spatial awareness. Now, I usually don't see them racing or going 100 mph down a side street, so they're not really a major threat. Just uncoordinated.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: SoylentG
I think a lot of it is from Drivers' Education classes. In Texas, at least, parents can elect to teach their kids to drive....

At any rate, in my Driver's Ed class, I noticed that 80% were males. If anyone has some numbers to back it up, I'd love to see them. To me, this says that either less teenage girls are driving (doubtful), or more teenage girls are learning to drive from their parents, rather than a licensed professional.

Driver's ed is so incredibly easy to pass that I wouldn't give it any importance at all. "Licensed professional"? Please, give me a break. You gain nearly all of your experience driving by yourself. Compare the amount of time you spend driving in your life to the time you actually spend in the class. Are you telling me that you can't learn on your own without someone teaching you? As the saying goes, "practice makes perfect"- and if you don't advance your skills beyond the couple weeks of driver's ed class in the decades you spend driving, then you've either reached your limit or you just don't learn. You don't need someone to "teach" you how to drive. It relies on your inate abilities of awareness and coordination.

It's like riding a bike. Growing up, I'm sure you've known kids who were very shaky riding bikes and would constantly fall off. These are the same people who sucked at sports. They're just uncoordinated. It's not that you need a licensed professional to "teach" someone not to trip over their own feet, it's that they're just clumsy.

By the time I got in a car, I'd been driving go carts for 7 years.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
2) entitled 16 year-old teens on cell phones, driving daddy's benz. Girls and boys are equally culpable for this, but for different reasons.

The grand champion of bad drivers, however (and no, I am not racist--just going on observation) :

1) Black women. Too much evidence in my lifetime to convince me otherwise. Put a cell phone in her hand, and you have instant death on wheels.

Ignored this thread for a few days...will go back and browse, to see how truly racist it has become...(surprised my number 1 isn't on your poll, I have plenty of friends and associates who share my opinion. And yes, some of them are black.) :)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: jtvang125
Originally posted by: irishScott
I find Asians and Mexicans in general to be the worst drivers ever. I got rammed from behind by an Asian guy when sitting still at a red light (hard, moved my car 3 ft forward, fvcked up my bumper), and every time I get behind a slow driver there's a 70% chance the driver is an Asian woman.

No racism intended, just my observations.

I live in SoCal so there are plenty of Mexican and Asian drivers here. From my experience I had more bad encounters with Mexican drivers than Asian drivers.

My Mexican-driver experience while still living in NC:

I was in traffic court (trumped-up speeding violation ;) ), and this Mexican construction worker was up before the judge. He didn't speak any English, so they had a translator. The judge spoke slowly to him/translator (not sure why...) and this is what I picked up from the judge's mouth:

"Sir, you do realize that driving a 3-axle pickup truck along the median of, and into oncoming traffic down an 8-lane interstate is against the law? Sir, why were you also driving 15 miles-per-hour on a 70mph interstate?"

The Mexican guy just shrugged with a sh1t-eating grin plastered across his face. He became my hero that day :)

SoylentG

Oct 26, 2005
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
Originally posted by: SoylentG
I think a lot of it is from Drivers' Education classes. In Texas, at least, parents can elect to teach their kids to drive....

Driver's ed is so incredibly easy to pass that I wouldn't give it any importance at all. "Licensed professional"? Please, give me a break. You gain nearly all of your experience driving by yourself. Compare the amount of time you spend driving in your life to the time you actually spend in the class. Are you telling me that you can't learn on your own without someone teaching you? As the saying goes, "practice makes perfect"- and if you don't advance your skills beyond the couple weeks of driver's ed class in the decades you spend driving, then you've either reached your limit or you just don't learn. You don't need someone to "teach" you how to drive. It relies on your inate abilities of awareness and coordination.

It's like riding a bike. Growing up, I'm sure you've known kids who were very shaky riding bikes and would constantly fall off. These are the same people who sucked at sports. They're just uncoordinated. It's not that you need a licensed professional to "teach" someone not to trip over their own feet, it's that they're just clumsy.

By the time I got in a car, I'd been driving go carts for 7 years.

Wow. Nice triple post with lack of reading comprehension bud. Way to go.

I refer to the drivers education teachers as licensed professionals because they can lose the allowance of teaching the course if they are discovered to have not enforced the completion of proper in-car drive time. Whereas if a parent doesn't make their kid drive the full amount of time with them, they may be fined, but the odds of that actually being thoroughly checked is about none.

If you actually took drivers ed, you may have noticed that everyone in the class didn't know all the answers. Personally, I was pretty familiar with the whole driving process because I asked a shitton of questions when I was a kid. Some people in my class had some really stupid questions. There is a lot more to driving than coordination. Most 12yo kids that are gamers have developed their coordination pretty well, but many would cause accidents if they were to be thrown into a driving situation due to lack of knowledge.

The main point I was making was, if parents are allowed to teach their children to drive, the enforcability of the requirements is dramatically decreased. In addition, misconceptions and bad habits are passed on. My parents have driving habits they didn't even realize they posessed until I pointed them out; many of which would have earned them a ticket.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Originally posted by: cheezy321
I just bought a 20 oz soda, so I took it and hit the back window of her car pretty hard. She slows down, rolls down her passenger side window and says "She didn't see me". I proceed to yell "F You, learn how to drive" and she drives off.

Haha, nice

Aquila76

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
www.facebook.com
Your poll should include SUV drivers. I don't think I've ever seen one NOT doing something stupid (going in and out of a space five times to park, backing up into a wall/pedestrian/parked car behind it, refusing to yield, either taking a year to pull out into traffic or cutting somebody off then proceeding to drive at 5 MPH, etc.).

Oh, and you need one for New Hampshire plated minivans. ***shudders***

Legend

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2005
One time I was taking a left turn at a busy intersection into a shopping market area, and luckily I noticed quickly enough that a girl (on a cell phone) had decided to attempt to exit from that market area in my entrance. She made this face like I was at fault...I quickly drove around to enter the main road's opposing traffic's entrance (a right turn). Luckily there was a gap in the traffic for me to do this, otherwise I could have been killed.

Clearly she didn't understand what was going on...or maybe she was so stupid that she didn't realize that there was absolutely no traffic behind her to get in the way of her backing up because the traffic is supposed to go in!

palindrome

Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: sixone
Maybe because you wouldn't have dared to throw that cup if a man had been behind the wheel?

You're right, I wouldn't have. I would have thrown a brick :evil: