*RANT*Why does ANYONE bother reviewing a card without including its competition? It's utterly pointless :|

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Actually makes a fair amount of sense in this round. At least you will be comparing similar iq without the standard dispute on the settings used. :beer:

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: ronnn
Actually makes a fair amount of sense in this round. At least you will be comparing similar iq without the standard dispute on the settings used. :beer:

hehe, i hadn't thought of that ;)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
usually this is done as a 'preview' . . . when something 'new' comes out, it's architecture/features etc. are thoroughly discussed and quite often it is compared to it's own previous generation. ;)

neothe0ne

Feb 26, 2006
Well, if you include the card's benchmarks, at least you'll be able to compare the benchmarks of separate cards in separate reviews... some people just don't directly compare.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Actually I get more irritated when they can't bother to compare it to even the previous generation cards. Obviously I want to know which card for $x is faster, but without any frame of reference it's a bit pointless. I understand that they aren't going to benchmark FEAR with the Geforce3 ti200 I bought in 2002, but is it so ridiculous to think that if I am looking at video card reviews I probably have a card that is more than 6 months old?

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: aka1nas
Actually I get more irritated when they can't bother to compare it to even the previous generation cards. Obviously I want to know which card for $x is faster, but without any frame of reference it's a bit pointless. I understand that they aren't going to benchmark FEAR with the Geforce3 ti200 I bought in 2002, but is it so ridiculous to think that if I am looking at video card reviews I probably have a card that is more than 6 months old?

Indeeed! Without reference to previous models it falsely suggests that only the new model is worth considering and maybe only versus the latest model of the competition. Sophistry! Often, the high-end model of the previous generation is faster yet costs the same or less to buy than a whole slew of new cheaper-to-make models.