RANT: Ventrilo SUCKS

Runes911

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
What kind of f**king company ONLY sells their highly sought after pro server to businesses ONLY!? I mean WTF:

In order for an applicant to be considered you must meet the following minimum requirements.

1) You must have a legitimate business license in your state, country or jurisdiction. Please be prepared to provide proof when requested.

2) You agree to a 1000 slot minimum. Slot counts greater then 1000 are billed at the per slot rate for the total number of slots hosted. Slot counts below 1000 are billed at the per slot rate with the required minimum of 1000 slots.

3) Licensee's slot counts are expected to grow on a regular basis

Grr I normally dont pirate software but THIS IS ENOUGH TO MAKE ME!!! I have a server of my own WHY THE HELL WOULD I PAY SOMEONE ELSE MONTHLY FOR A EXTRA SERVER THAT I CAN RUN JUST FINE!?!?!

Anyone else feel the same way?

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: Runes911
What kind of f**king company ONLY sells their highly sought after pro server to businesses ONLY!? I mean WTF:

In order for an applicant to be considered you must meet the following minimum requirements.

1) You must have a legitimate business license in your state, country or jurisdiction. Please be prepared to provide proof when requested.

2) You agree to a 1000 slot minimum. Slot counts greater then 1000 are billed at the per slot rate for the total number of slots hosted. Slot counts below 1000 are billed at the per slot rate with the required minimum of 1000 slots.

3) Licensee's slot counts are expected to grow on a regular basis

Grr I normally dont pirate software but THIS IS ENOUGH TO MAKE ME!!! I have a server of my own WHY THE HELL WOULD I PAY SOMEONE ELSE MONTHLY FOR A EXTRA SERVER THAT I CAN RUN JUST FINE!?!?!

Anyone else feel the same way?

Nope :)

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
the mistake they made was developing good software and actually expecting people to pay for it.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I see, they suck.... but it has absolutely nothing to do about the actual product itself.

Runes911

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
You miss the point I have NO PROBLEM paying for it but you CANT! You HAVE to be a business owner with FULL intentions on reselling it. Why the hell cant they just sell it to those who want to run their own server? They would probably make more money!

Non pro is limited to 8 slots. I need 40-60 for my Wow guild raids.

Runes911

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
Originally posted by: skace
I see, they suck.... but it has absolutely nothing to do about the actual product itself.

Sorry, if I put Flagship Industries, Inc sucks no one whould know who the hell I was talking about.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Many companies, if not most, sell only to resellers.

Furthermore we use Vent just fine for up to 50 people for our WoW guild. There is an older version of Vent out there somewhere that you can download which works great and isn't limited to a handful of people.

brian_riendeau

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 1999
My WoW guild uses Vent, and we pay for it. Maybe we have the old version and just pay to have the server hosted somewhere though.

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
You miss the point I have NO PROBLEM paying for it but you CANT! You HAVE to be a business owner with FULL intentions on reselling it. Why the hell cant they just sell it to those who want to run their own server? They would probably make more money!

I see, at most I get around 6-7 people on my server.

What kind of connection are you using to run a 50 man Vent server?
I can't imagine it being residential broadband.

Runes911

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
Originally posted by: psteng19

Thats the point: I'm NOT running a vent server, I WANT to run one but they only sell their software to resellers which IMO is stupid. I have a colocated server I want to run the server on, 10 Mbit line.

Where can I get the older version that doesnt have a cap? Will the current client that you can download from Vents site connect to the older server?

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: psteng19

Thats the point: I'm NOT running a vent server, I WANT to run one but they only sell their software to resellers which IMO is stupid. I have a colocated server I want to run the server on, 10 Mbit line.

Where can I get the older version that doesnt have a cap? Will the current client that you can download from Vents site connect to the older server?

No, server and client versions must match.

Runes911

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
Originally posted by: NiKeFiDO
teamspeak FTW !!!

I run a TS server right now but all I keep hearing in how much TS sucks from the guild, and how vent is oh so much better...

brian_riendeau

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 1999
Teamspeak sounds better if people set it up right and have the bandwidth for it. Overall quality takes a dive when people go to Vent, but it is easier on people's PC with less configuration so they end up saying it is better.

That has been my experience, 200 person guild, 40 person MC Raids once a week, 5 to 20 man stuff almost daily. Vent is required for all members.

Runes911

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
Originally posted by: brian_riendeau
Teamspeak sounds better if people set it up right and have the bandwidth for it. Overall quality takes a dive when people go to Vent, but it is easier on people's PC with less configuration so they end up saying it is better.

That has been my experience, 200 person guild, 40 person MC Raids once a week, 5 to 20 man stuff almost daily. Vent is required for all members.

That what I thought. I think I will "require" the server to use one and only one codec: the best. So umm which codec has the best sound? I think I can try to get them to stay with TS eaither that or they will chip in and rent a server cause I cant afford it. :)

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Originally posted by: brian_riendeau

I hate TS

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
btw OP, check out www.gamecomm.com
might find something there, it's like ventrilo... but i've never bought a server from them, see if it's what you're looking for or not

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
What's to stop you from using the regular server? Are there limitations on it that I'm not aware of?