Rant: Some people just never listen.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Argh!!! The guy who lives at the end of the corridor on my floor is buying a computer and ignored most of the advice I told him. He just paid $280 for a retail V770 Ultra. I told him to get a GeForce Mx but no, Mr. could not wait 3 weeks and the guy at the store said he'd be better with proven technology and mature drivers. Crap! I have a V770 and I had already told him what I thought about Diamond's frequent ;) driver updates. Plus $280 is way too much. He only gets 64 MB RAM; with the money saved by buying a MX, he could have 128MB RAM. He also bought a US Robotics hardware modem because the guy told him it handles noisy lines better. For heaven's sake, we live in the same large building on the top floor and he's seen my Aopen winmodem in action. If the lines are good enough for me, they are for him. He got a el cheapo 17" Zoltrix shadow max monitor and intends to run it at the same resolution as me (1152x864x32) or higher (he thinks it will do 1600x1200x32) but does not want the fonts to look slightly fuzzy. Cripes, at that resolution, all TNT2 based cards start to have slightly fuzzy fonts if the refresh rate is fast enough. Doesn't matter to him that my monitor is a 19" FD Trinitron and the comparison is poor at best. I really think that his 17" will suck donkey's butt at those settings.

In the end, I was so exasperated that, when he asked my about ISPs, I gave him a dozen AOL coasters and told him to check these.

Now I feel guilty. Still angry but guilty nonetheless.

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
Well, he sounds like one of those people who will not learn until they have been burnt, so I would not feel guilty. He probably would have went with AOL if you had told him about your isp anyway, because in his mind, obviously he knows better. You should feel good you tried to help him in the first place.

MisterM

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
If I were you i would have sold him my TNT2U for $200, bought an GeForce 2 MX and I would have given the $60 difference to my "stock fund". :D

Brooks

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
argh! Morons will always follow the advice of somebody in a computer store. I just honestly don't bother recommending computers to any but my closest friends now, because anyone else its just not worth the effort trying to persuade them against buying a frigging compaq.

LouisXIX

Oct 9, 1999
lol, this is funny. I know of so many similar scenarios of people buying from the worst suppliers in the trade, and over-paying for ancient graphic cards. DF, how much did this guy pay in total?

SufferinSuccotash

Jun 4, 2000
Some people only listen to "experts". If that same salesman were telling him this on the street and didn't have Best Buy (or whatever)tag on, I'm sure he wouldn't take his advice either.

Passions

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
280 for a tnt2 ultra? BWAHaHahAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA u can get a geforce 2 for that money. LMAO!!

MisterM

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hmm...wait a second, were talking canadian money here..wow, US $1 for an TNT2U is actually quite cheap! ;)

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Well, there is the old saying.......... 'you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it'. Just be glad he wasn't using your money ;)

Cheers,
Aquaman

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
Ever notice how fools always seem to have money.....

Where is Andy Rooney when we need him. :p

dennilfloss

Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
LouisXIX,

He's gonna end up paying ~$1000US for a Celeron500 system with 64MB RAM and a 17" shadow mask monitor. I could have saved him $300US and he'd have a better system.

I bet that now he'll come to me when problems occur and be angry if I don't have time for him. LOL

Easy (Commodores)

ApacheXMD

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
explain to me what a "dot matrix" monitor is :)
and you really shouldn't be using Diamond's drivers for anything

-patchy

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Dennil: It's us and them, and I'm not so sure about us! But, really, I've had the same results giving my friends advice. One bought a Dell with Rambus after I told him not to waste his money. Another paid $800 for a 233 mx system, used, out of the paper. I could go on for hours. It's them and us. Many more of them. :p

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999
When you get a Geforce 2 MX and show him the difference between it and the TNT 2 he paid US $175, he'll probably start to listen to you. It's only when they realize that you're right that they start listening.

dennilfloss

Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
ApacheXMD,

Ack! The rant upset my brain! I meant dot trio (shadow mask). I corrected the mistake. :eek:

BTW, I use nVidia's reference drivers, but he says he won't bother.

Rainbow (Barbie)

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
Dennil, do me a big big favor. Ask the guy to borrow his TNT2 for some "benchmarks." Then beat him to a bloody pulp with it.

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Boy am I glad that I know not to listen to salesmen :D

Everything they say is complete crap... yet people always fall for it.

dennilfloss

Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Hey, don't put down the TNT2 too much. ;) Afterall, this is what I got a year ago and currently still have. I just think that it's not the best dollar value this summer.

Sold My Heart To The Junkman (Bette Midler)

KarsinTheHutt

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2000
There was nothing you could have done short of physically dragging the poor sucker out of the shop! Hopefully he will learn from his mistakes...

dennilfloss

Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Hehe. I've decided that if he bothers me, I'll simply give him jonnyGuru's email address and tell him that this is a professional who knows everything and is extremely patient & polite (and that he'll be happy to help for free).

:D

;)

From The Beginning (Emerson, Lake & Palmer)