rant on "procedure"

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
If you guys dont mind, I'm going to post a quick rant about procedure. :) I'm a junior in college and two summers ago I started with a free ride scholarship. The conditions were I had to mantain a 2.0 out of 4.0 gpa, and be a full time student each semester, as well as enroll in the journalism class each semester. Easy enough right?

Well the first fall semester I got took Calc 1 and toward the end of the semester withdrew so I could take it again and get a higher grade. I was concerned since this would take me below the number of hours of a full time student. I thumbed through the handbook and saw that hours earned during the summer would apply to that count. I went into admissions, showed this to them, and asked if it would be fine if I dropped. Yes was the answer.

All was well and I was actually have a pretty nice day today when the guy in charge of scholarships hunted me down. Apparently they dropped my scholarship that semester since I didnt mantain enough credit hours. I was shown the form that I signed that explicitly says summer hours were not applicable in this case. Okay I'm stupid.

So it looks like I'm going to owe the college lots of cash, and I'll admit, its ultimately my fault. The guy says he mailed me a letter when they dropped me that I never recieved (of course he thinks i'm lying.) I was able to be a student worker and get paid (shouldnt get a check if I owe money), sell books back to the book store for cash (they keep the cash if you owe), and continue signing up for classes (shouldnt be able to do that if you owe...). It just sucks that when I tried to verify this information it wasn't done, and the other parts of the system werent followed and I received a mysterious balance in the last few weeks.

:| All in all, it makes me seriously consider saying fsck college and getting that solaris cert and finding some work.....

Any thoughts?

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
Sucks to be you, it sounds like. Don't fsck college tho. Getting some of the upper tier network jobs requires having a B.S. in a computer field.

Just try and work out some payment plan with em (how in the world can they expect a student to come up with several thousand dollars?). Take it as a life lesson learned, and remember to read all contracts you sign very thoroughly in the future.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Yes :) That was more than dumb of me!
I've got a meeting with the guy again tomorrow and I'm gonna try to at least get them to try to drop the bill since I still tried to meet what I understood to be the requirements, and exceeded them by like 5-6 hours even.....even that poorly taught journalism class that I'm more qualified to teach.... All else fails I'll be selling stuff in the fs/ft forum hehe.