Rant: Has anyone ever quit a job and then decided they want it back?

MixMasterTang

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Has anyone ever decided that their job wasn't worth it anymore and was on the fence about quitting a few times and then finally did it?

If so have any of those people felt regret after quitting and started looking for another job in that career field?

I'm sure to those people that have they would carefully weigh any job offer they received to make sure it was the right job for them and would possibly turn down the deal if they weren't 100% convinced it was the perfect fit.

It's also possible that if that company came back to you and made the deal even sweeter and gave you a 2nd offer you would take it.

Would somebody call you a flip flopper or a cry baby drama queen? Why is it ok for normal working people to go through the same types of thing Brett Favre has done with playing football but it's not okay for him?

I agree that there is too much media buzz over it and sports center makes too much of a deal out of it, but how is that his fault?

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
A few years ago, I left a decent job and took another one. The new job only lasted about a year. At that time, I did wish that I did not left.

About Brett, I used to think he was ok but the on going saga "am i in or am i out" is a big distraction for the potential team(s).

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
happened with an ex-coworker of mine.

he took a promotion into a different department but didn't like the new job and wanted to come back... my boss had already hired someone to replace him, though, so he was SOL and was eventually fired from the new job for sucking at it.

a couple months later, though, he did end up coming back. someone ended up quitting unexpectedly and we were really hard up to find someone new. one of his friends still worked with us and mentioned that the ex-coworker hadn't been able to find a real job (just misc. temp work), so they hired him back (albeit starting at the bottom of the totem poll in terms of seniority and with a pay cut)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Once or twice. I never tried to get the job back though. Once I've decided to quit...I stick to my decision.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
IF I ever did, I would be too ashamed to admit it and ask for my job back.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Oh yeah...I forgot to add...when you go beyond "Buring the Bridge" to the point of nuking, not only the bridge, but the landscape on both sides of the bridge...there's usually no going back...something I was GOOD at. :p

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I'm going back to my old job.

But they asked me to come back. Except this time I won't be a contractor.

:)

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Guy at my worked left his engineering position to head west and be a cop. After 4 years he's back now. Our boss is awesome that we would always have a spot if anyone wanted to come back.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm thinking of "possibly" doing it right now. We are down to 7 people (out of 30) on the floor and are getting no new business (building production equipment for an automotive company). Every job that we've quoted, regardless of price, has been rejected or placed elsewhere. The lease is up on the building and 75% of the people are old enough to retire. That leaves me (actually, all of us) to believe that management is in the process of a shutdown.

I have the chance for an interview at a production plant, but I really enjoy working in tooling (building new stuff all the time). I'm just so damn afraid that I won't have a job soon.....I might offer my current boss to lay me off "if" I get offered the new job just to check it out. If I don't like it, I can just call him and be pulled back in (bump someone else if the work is slow enough by then).

I really hate this time of life (at least job situation).

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I have not ever quit.
I leech until I get fired.
Wanting the job back is never an issue.
Especially with those pesky restraining orders.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Not personally, but I've had a few colleagues jump ship thinking there were greener pastures. Then they are wooed back at much higher compensation/role.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Never done this, but this Favre stuff is hilarious. It makes Jordan look like a decision making machine!

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
I tried to go back to my last job 2 months ago. My previous boss' boss was happy I wanted to come back because all the things I used to do were no longer getting done and they needed someone with VMware, blade, and SAN experience. My ex-boss, however, said they were fine and (this is a direct quote) "every time things breaks we learn new things." They have 10 blade servers running VMware ESX, a pair of 28 disk FC SANs, etc. but no one has ANY clue how to manage them. In fact, I heard through the grapevine than my ex-boss said things are more stable now because I'm not there to mess with things (they were VERY stable when I was there).