RANT: Don't you hate cronically sick coworkers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AU Tiger

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 1999
I hate them almost as much as people who insist on coming to work when they should be home sick.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
I work retail and this is very much often the case and it sucks. I miss 1-2 days/year max due to being sick. I have to be pretty sick to miss work/school.

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
People who are honestly, chronically sick? It's a pain, but I have no problem with it.

It's the people who abuse it, like I suspect your example may be doing, that get to me.

Is your coworker seeing a doctor? Does she go home every time she coughs once?

People who abuse the sick time should get canned. :disgust:

melly

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
a few ppl i work with are 'sick' a few times a week. they're practically never at work because they're lazy or either seeing the guys they're having affairs with. i don't hate them, but i don't value them as people.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Give her four letters to look into when you see her next:
NAET

She can be skeptical all she wants, as long as she'll try it. If I didn't see my mother go from near bedridden to holding a full-time job, I'd not have believed it could work.

She can't help being that way, but there are ways to get better. I was so allergic to various sh!t that I had to be taken out of my high school. The last cold I had lasted four months.

Oh, and perfumes are EVIL. Plain, pure EVIL. If you take a shower, you don't need any perfume or cologne, a'ight?
It likely isn't the dust itself, but I won't go into that. Lights sounds odd...mainly because I've never heard of that before--but I can't stand even the brightness of most monitors.

http://www.chirobase.org/06DD/naet.html
http://www.naet.com/
http://allergies.about.com/library/weekly/aa071601a.htm
Goodbye to Illness (Amazon)

huey1124

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2000

i am really grateful for the benefits my company provides. i receive unlimited sick leave, seriously. only caveat is that if i am sick for a day longer than 6 months at a time (6 months stretch), then i am subject to a long-term disability leave, which means that insurance company pays for the salary pay, typically around 70 to 80 percent of normal pay. but up to 6 months, company pays the normal 100% salary and 100% of other benefits. i could theoretically be in at work one day every 6 months.

having said that, i have some of the best co-workers. hardly anyone calls in sick, since every position in my department is very vital (all of us are scientists). but when situations do come up, we all help out each other and i haven't heard anyone complain not even once. some people even put in 12 hour days without complaining to cover others' work. i have a co-worker who is battling cancer for the 3rd time in her life (and all 3 times while she's been employeed with the company). she has been away because of surgeries, chemotherapies, and radiation treatments. but the company is very supportive of her, and making her feel as comfortable as possible. she will have been out of office for at least 6 months, but she doesn't have to worry about her job security.
my company was named as one of the 100 best company to work for, by working mothers' magazine. i know a lady who is out for 4 months because she was giving birth. and my co-worker who is due in July, will be doing the same.