RANT: Don't you hate cronically sick coworkers?

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I work with someone who is cronically sick. She is allergic to just about everything (perfumes, colognes, lots of foods, etc.) and constantly complains about smells, dust, and lights. She is out of work at LEAST once every two weeks and is gone from work for weeks at a time every few months.

My bosses are asking those of us that can spare them, to give up some of our sick leave time for her. I say, HELL NOO!

I have been gone MAYBE 4 days in the last year. Two day for a bad sunburn and two days for a gash in my leg. I have earned my leave and I'm not giving it up to her.

Anyway, just had to vent as it's getting on my nerves. :|

Jugs

btw: When she is out of the office, everyone else has to take up her slack, which puts pressure on everyone else who doesn't need it.

AstIsis

Jan 18, 2003
Yes! You forgot to add those who are always need time off to take care of their children. This means more work for us without children which is unfair. Just because I don't have them does not mean that I have no life damn it!

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Ohhh I forgot to mention, I've had to move her desk three times in the last year because "I don't feel right in that space." Moving a freaking desk all the way across the office is bad enough, all the annoying talking that goes with it from her in torture.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I've used a total of 3 sick days in over 4 years. Given that we get 5 days/year. That leaves me with about 150 hours of sick time. So I can take a day as sick once a week for the next 5 months to use up my sick time.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
hide perfume samples under her desk & chair and this may drive her out of work ;) :D

Cheers,
Aquaman

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
my job only allows me to be sick two days out of the week...can you guess which two....heres a hint sat and sun..

during cunch time and we have to work mandatory weekends if we miss our families and want to see them its encouraged we brign pictures of them :p

but seriously...you must work at a small company...i doubt many HR deparments would ask employees to do this

L

Lola

Ok, i am not as bad as her, but i have had very VERY bad migraines to the point where i am incapable of doing anything, so there for, some of the time i have to stay home (for days). I feel bad for people like her, but i do not believe that anyone else should give their sick time for her.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
I have taken a total of 1 sick day since I started working full time in 1987.

That sick day was actually to take care of a sick girlfriend who was running a high fever and had no family in the area to help out.

Michael

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Sadly I know two of them. One is a friend of mine who claims to be sick for weeks on end. As soon as she feels better, it is about 2-3 days until she feels sick again. Luckilly she doesn't have a job (just graduated from college last weekend). My wife is the other person. If she wakes up in the morning and feels tired she calls in sick (student teacher - so not quite a job yet) before attempting to even get out of the bed. Boy that bothers me so much since it messes up my whole schedule (we only have one car and take each other places). All she has to do is stand up and walk around for a few minutes to end the tired feeling...

Hammer, looks like your flaming post applies perfectly to my experiences.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN
my job only allows me to be sick two days out of the week...can you guess which two....heres a hint sat and sun..

during cunch time and we have to work mandatory weekends if we miss our families and want to see them its encouraged we brign pictures of them :p

but seriously...you must work at a small company...i doubt many HR deparments would ask employees to do this

Yep, it's a small biz. Probably 25 employees in the whole company.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Im lucky my co-workers are cool and work hard.

I can understand the perfume/cologne thing. I cant stand the stuff and really messes with my sinuses when im around it for a bit. Our front desk lady i swear bathes in Mary Kay perfume. I can be walking behind her and be 30+ feet away and my eyes are watering.

As far as giving up my vacation time. HELL NO! i earned them, she used hers. Maybe its time she left the job market. Now if she had a really bad disease that required hospital time, then yea i proably would give her a few days.

Yes! You forgot to add those who are always need time off to take care of their children. This means more work for us without children which is unfair. Just because I don't have them does not mean that I have no life damn it!

1. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa GROW UP
2. Never have kids
3. Never get a divorce.

If it is such an impact on you then your management sucks.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
No one misses me or my work while i'm gone...so it doesn't matter if i call in sick or not.

AstIsis

Jan 18, 2003
Originally posted by: Citrix
Im lucky my co-workers are cool and work hard.

I can understand the perfume/cologne thing. I cant stand the stuff and really messes with my sinuses when im around it for a bit. Our front desk lady i swear bathes in Mary Kay perfume. I can be walking behind her and be 30+ feet away and my eyes are watering.

As far as giving up my vacation time. HELL NO! i earned them, she used hers. Maybe its time she left the job market. Now if she had a really bad disease that required hospital time, then yea i proably would give her a few days.

1. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa GROW UP
2. Never have kids
3. Never get a divorce.

If it is such an impact on you then your management sucks.

Actually, I am the management...COO thanks.

If that statement came out as a whine..it was not meant that way. People should realize that their work life and their personal life are seperate entities and keep them that way. Poor performance in either one need not effect the other.

As for points 2 & 3...never plan on doing either.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
It's not like she's faking it... she could be but it's doubtful. I have a friend like this, who is allergic to a lot of things and I feel sorry for her. There is no reason she should not be able to have a steady job just like everyone else. You wouldn't complain if she was physically handicapped though it's almost the same thing from what I've seen.

There is always the potential for abuse, and it's not fair by any means for you to give up your sick time to help her, but don't take offensive to the problem. The problem here seems to be shoddy management inside your company.

clarkmo

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2000
Don't hate'em but I wouldn't give up my sicktime for them. The company can afford to be generous. It's pennies to them. Bux to me.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation
It's not like she's faking it... she could be but it's doubtful. I have a friend like this, who is allergic to a lot of things and I feel sorry for her. There is no reason she should not be able to have a steady job just like everyone else. You wouldn't complain if she was physically handicapped though it's almost the same thing from what I've seen.

There is always the potential for abuse, and it's not fair by any means for you to give up your sick time to help her, but don't take offensive to the problem. The problem here seems to be shoddy management inside your company.

Sorry, but yes I would complain. Anyone (handicapped included) who needs to take sick leave from his/her coworkers because they can't do their job properly because of sickness/physical disability shouldn't have the job. If you are MIA 40% more than ANYONE else in the company, you are the weakest link (Goodbye).

People who can't be at work all the time on a regular basis, shouldn't be fulltime salaried employees. They should be hourly...