RANT! Broken Windshields. W/poll.

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Okay, so today, I had another windshield cracked by a rock from one of those rock carrying Trucks. The ones with the large tubs that carry rocks for construction purposes.

This is like the 3rd one for me in 4 years. Almost everytime one of those things get next to my car on the freeway, I can feel debris from them hitting my car. I hate it.

Am I the only one with this problem? If I'm the only unlucky one, I probably won't complaint to the authorities, but are there others here who's had this problem?

Note: I wrote down the license plate of this particular truck, but probably can't make any claims against him cause he'll just deny it.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Had a rock put a chip in my windshield once but never cracked.

I just drop back many car lengths or change lanes and get around them.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
My truck got hit once by a rock and once by a 3/4" bolt!

Just cracks though... Never shattered.

Only time I had a windshield shatter was when I put my fist through the one in my old GTI cuz I was pissed off at my wife. :(

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: DurocShark

Only time I had a windshield shatter was when I put my fist through the one in my old GTI cuz I was pissed off at my wife. :(

hrm... fist through window about your wife? stay away from me.

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
Originally posted by: cheapbidder01
Okay, so today, I had another windshield cracked by a rock from one of those rock carrying Trucks. The ones with the large tubs that carry rocks for construction purposes.

This is like the 3rd one for me in 4 years. Almost everytime one of those things get next to my car on the freeway, I can feel debris from them hitting my car. I hate it.

Am I the only one with this problem? If I'm the only unlucky one, I probably won't complaint to the authorities, but are there others here who's had this problem?

Note: I wrote down the license plate of this particular truck, but probably can't make any claims against him cause he'll just deny it.

Not true. Last time this happened I was behind a landscaping dumptruck on a 2 lane road. I was about 30 yards behing him at 60 mph and a rock flew at the windshield that was big enough it made me duck out of reflex. I called the company up that afternoon and they covered the cost of a new windshield and installation.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Yes, my open-topped Jeep was hit by a fist sized rock kicked up by a big tractor mower. I freaked out, I was going about 60 when my frickin windshield had a 4" hole blasted in it. Lucky it didn't whack me in the head. I pulled over and the fvcktard gave me attitude, "no that wasn't from my mower". The company ended up paying for the repair after I threatened them with legal action.

filmmaker

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Sundog

Not true. Last time this happened I was behind a landscaping dumptruck on a 2 lane road. I was about 30 yards behing him at 60 mph and a rock flew at the windshield that was big enough it made me duck out of reflex. I called the company up that afternoon and they covered the cost of a new windshield and installation.
Yeah, and make sure you get a police report to help you if you have to go to court.

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
Originally posted by: filmmaker

Yeah, and make sure you get a police report to help you if you have to go to court.

Police will only file a report if there is over $500 in damages, at least that is what it was/is in San Diego and Minneapolis.

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
Originally posted by: DurocShark

I blame the PMS

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003

Police will only file a report if there is over $500 in damages, at least that is what it was/is in San Diego and Minneapolis.

Well, there's a couple of details that I left out of the original post for brevity.

1. The car I was driving was a rental car since mine's in the shop. I don't know if I should just report it to them first. I don't want to end up paying for it.
2. The driver of the truck didn't stop, he didn't even know it happened since I was behind him.
3. I have no idea what company this truck worked for, it was just a large white truck.

filmmaker

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2002

Well, there's a couple of details that I left out of the original post for brevity.

1. The car I was driving was a rental car since mine's in the shop. I don't know if I should just report it to them first. I don't want to end up paying for it.
2. The driver of the truck didn't stop, he didn't even know it happened since I was behind him.
3. I have no idea what company this truck worked for, it was just a large white truck.
Hence why I suggested the police report.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Thankfully no. The sentra has a crack from when I bought it two years ago about a foot long but it's not moved, and I have no intentions of repairing it. For those trucks I aim to keep distance or gun it past them.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Uh. I drive around a quarry (LaFarge group, Texas, MD facility) a whole freaking lot. These trucks you're talking about have mechanically operated tarps that they pull over the top to prevent this. They won't let them leave the quarry without. Someone wasn't doing their job.

I have, however, had my car pelted by green beans.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Happens reletively often, I get them fixed the same day the chips occur and they don't become cracks. My insurance policy has a neat windshield deal where you have a $100 deductable to replace a windshield, however they will cover chip repair upto the $100 deductable (no more than 2/year). So when I get one, I just make a phone call, file a claim, and drive down to the autoglass shop and get it fixed. The insurance company is okay with it because $60 chips are cheaper to them than $250 windshields.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: PipBoy
Yes, my open-topped Jeep was hit by a fist sized rock kicked up by a big tractor mower. I freaked out, I was going about 60 when my frickin windshield had a 4" hole blasted in it. Lucky it didn't whack me in the head. I pulled over and the fvcktard gave me attitude, "no that wasn't from my mower". The company ended up paying for the repair after I threatened them with legal action.

Sweet Jesus, that's insane! You got money from the mower manufacturer? That's cool. What was your legal argument in holding them responsible and how long did it take them to fold and pay you?

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Lucky
Originally posted by: PipBoy

Sweet Jesus, that's insane! You got money from the mower manufacturer? That's cool. What was your legal argument in holding them responsible and how long did it take them to fold and pay you?

not the manufacturer, the company that was doing the mowing. took about a month.