Rant: Armchair Generals

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Is everyone else getting sick of all the "armchair generals" that have started working for the news networks??

Early this morning (3:00 A.M. or so) I was watching one of the news programs on the war. The network had a guy on who was only a former Major (not Major General, but a plain old "gold leaf" Major.) He was commenting on the oil "pit" fires that were set around the city of Baghdad. His comment was around the fact that the fires were not that significant. He indicated "if they had wanted to make the fires significant - hotter and more intense, they should have put some tires into the pits." Jeez, this stuff gets under my skin. Why are the networks recruiting these military "have beens" in an attempt to paint certain pictures? Plus, the comments that this ex-Major made could have been used against us. Who's to say that the next oil pit fires that get lit won't have tires in them?

I think there are times when individuals need to keep quiet. Isn't their retirement sufficient enough that they shouldn't need to get money from the networks? Maybe, the military needs to invoke a "shut the hell up clause" that retiring officers need to sign when they depart the military. I find it sad that someone can get on the news and give their off-base opinions that later could come back to haunt our forces.

:|

Soldat

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2000
on the contrary I respect the news channels that bring in former military officers. The questions and comments that come from the 'journalists' are downright laughable at times.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
I think you are getting too worried about nothing. The information they are giving out is not that critical. Talking about tires in pits? Big deal. I'm sure they already know something as simple as that. They're getting more sensitive information from the Russians, anyway. It sounds like you're one of those people who likes to be left in the dark because you feel safer that way.

Think about it... Iraq knows how to make chemical weapons and guided ballistic missiles and you're worrying information about burning tires?

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Marshallj
I think you are getting too worried about nothing. The information they are giving out is not that critical. Talking about tires in pits? Big deal. I'm sure they already know something as simple as that. They're getting more sensitive information from the Russians, anyway. It sounds like you're one of those people who likes to be left in the dark because you feel safer that way.

Think about it... Iraq knows how to make chemical weapons and guided ballistic missiles and you're worrying information about burning tires?
First: I'm not one who likes to be left in the darkness.
Second: I've served in the military. The day I left the military, the information that belonged to the military stayed with them. I haven't tried to make money off of my military stint.
Third: While the Russians might be providing more sensitive information to Iraq, I still think some of the former-military folks just need to keep quiet.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Military analysts run the gamut from knowledgeable and insightful to inane, but as long as they don't "pull a Geraldo" and give away classified info, I think there's no problem.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What I find amusing is that they've had some "retired" Air Force and Army Captains and at least one "retired" Army Lieutenant! They weren't good enough or dedicated enough to make it to field grade, but they sure can pontificate on TV now. I could maybe accept the opinion of an O-3 if he/she were directly involved in supporting operations in the Middle East for the majority of time served in uniform, particularly in something relevant like operational planning, covert operations, or intelligence.

Curiously, the "retired Captains" I've seen haven't had their previous job titles listed.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: AndrewR
What I find amusing is that they've had some "retired" Air Force and Army Captains and at least one "retired" Army Lieutenant! They weren't good enough or dedicated enough to make it to field grade, but they sure can pontificate on TV now. I could maybe accept the opinion of an O-3 if he/she were directly involved in supporting operations in the Middle East for the majority of time served in uniform, particularly in something relevant like operational planning, covert operations, or intelligence.

Curiously, the "retired Captains" I've seen haven't had their previous job titles listed.

So if you retire, you have cashed in your brain? FYI your President is a "retired" military man. Oops. He couldnt even make it to retirement.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So if you retire, you have cashed in your brain? FYI your President is a "retired" military man. Oops. He couldnt even make it to retirement.

Touchy? That's hardly what I was saying. Taking strategy comments from someone who 1) hasn't gone to a higher level staff school, 2) was in an undetermined job possibly completely unrelated to what he's discussing, 3) doesn't have access to all the information, and 4) wasn't even in the military that long strikes me as silly. We're supposed to accept the "expert" opinion of someone who possibly went through tech school, served one operational assignment, and then got out? I have no problem listening to what a Colonel or a retired flag officer has to say -- even Lieutenant Colonels and Majors. Company grade officers in the majority of the cases simply do not have the perspective or the background to be on TV as military experts without something else to back up their credentials -- and I include myself in that group.

I am very glad that President Bush served in the military in some capacity, unlike the previous one who dodged service in a foreign country. The fact of the matter is that President Bush did not design the war plan and has numerous senior flag officers to both advise and educate.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: AndrewR

Touchy? That's hardly what I was saying. Taking strategy comments from someone who 1) hasn't gone to a higher level staff school, 2) was in an undetermined job possibly completely unrelated to what he's discussing, 3) doesn't have access to all the information, and 4) wasn't even in the military that long strikes me as silly. We're supposed to accept the "expert" opinion of someone who possibly went through tech school, served one operational assignment, and then got out? I have no problem listening to what a Colonel or a retired flag officer has to say -- even Lieutenant Colonels and Majors. Company grade officers in the majority of the cases simply do not have the perspective or the background to be on TV as military experts without something else to back up their credentials -- and I include myself in that group.

I am very glad that President Bush served in the military in some capacity, unlike the previous one who dodged service in a foreign country. The fact of the matter is that President Bush did not design the war plan and has numerous senior flag officers to both advise and educate.

Yeah, im touchy. Cabin fever I guess. :D

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: arcitech2
It's all Showbiz, don't worry, just turn on King of the Hill, and have another Mountain Dew.
True. However, at what point will *ALL* of America realize that "it's just showbiz" and say "we've had enough?" Personally, I'm very selective in what I watch and take in. It's those few moments of the news that I catch that I find it hard to believe how the media is behaving. I know it's all about a ratings game. But, sooner or later, people need to wise up and say "enough is enough."