Ranking of the 500 best universities of the world

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darien

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2002
they must love the UCs. probably a bunch of people from ucla in Shanghai Jiao Tong University. explains why usc is so low :p

berkeley > mit...?
ucsd > ucla?

tokyo univ is ranked at 19. i thought it would have been higher. same goes for waseda.

flot

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Look at their methodologies... Calling this list the 500 best universities is a bit misleading.

- Nobel Laureates from 1911-2002
- Highly cited researchers from 1981-1999
- Articles published in nature and science (2000-2002)

So basically the list has little to nothing to do with the quality of education you might get there....

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Notre Dame has gotta be pissed, ranked 19 in the US by US News, and ranked over 200 by this one.

ClueLis

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2003
This list seems to be based on the notoriety of the professors. While it may be a part of the picture, it certainly is not the only factor. It also is disadvantageous to smaller schools, as it (until the last part of the ranking) only looks at the total number of professors that have gained such mentions.

Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ClueLis
This list seems to be based on the notoriety of the professors. While it may be a part of the picture, it certainly is not the only factor. It also is disadvantageous to smaller schools, as it (until the last part of the ranking) only looks at the total number of professors that have gained such mentions.

yeah total # instead of percent is ridiculus

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

i bet some of those profs don't even teach anyway

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Idex
Why is UCSD above UCLA?

Why is UTexas above Rice. And why is Texas Tech on the list? Out of the major schools in Texas Id rate them

Rice
UTexas
Baylor
A&M
Houston
North Texas
Texas Tech

thraxes

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2000
Originally posted by: jamesave
and the first germany univ to be ranked is #48??
I am amazed..

Yep... our education system is in a mess. There are a few schools that perform brilliantly in certain fields:

Tech. univ. Dresden is not even in the top100 but they are a real microprocessor engineering powerhouse and one of the main reasons AMD set up shop next door.
Univ. Hamburg is quite famous for their aeronautics faculty - mostly due to EADS (Airbus) sponsorship.

The main reason is that funding for the universities has not kept up with student enrollment (Univs. are entirely state funded) and hence the quality has been falling for the past decade. Tuition fees are being discussed but are not very popular, mainly because they don't benefit the universities but are designed to cushion the states budget deficit instead. Funding to universities will not be increased even when students are paying tuition (in some states it will even be decreased) - which pisses me off. Support for tuition fees would be greater and the system would benefit far more if the money would go directly to the universities and stay there. But this is a huge argument that will keep me and my fellow students busy for the next year.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: ElFenix

- Nobel Laureates from 1911-2002
- Highly cited researchers from 1981-1999

Id say some are dead, and quite a few are retired.

ClueLis

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Idex
Why is UCSD above UCLA?

See my earlier post. UCSD gets a much higher score per professor, but has fewer of them. This completely leaves out a number of fantastic smaller schools, such as Swarthmore and Amherst that deserve to be on that list.

Nov 5, 2001
Total crap....not even consitent. For instance, Kansas State is #206 (?) iint he world, but not among the top 100 in the US????

Conversely, Nebraska is not on the top 500, but is on the top 100. Makes no sense!

ClueLis

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2003
Originally posted by: ElFenix

That is definitely the case with Harvard these days.