Random Seti@Home GPU Task crash

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
After few months running Seti@Home on my PC, I noticed a problem while running some Seti GPU tasks. It happens so randomly, I can't figure out when would it happen again. Driver updates do nothing to fix the problem. Recently, I had a task that needed more than an hour to run before it crashed my PC. Some notes:
* I'm running on stock seti apps,
* there's no other project run concurrently with seti,
* my PC is using R7 360 card,
* I always do clean driver install with DDU.

Last edited:

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
To be honest I'm not using Afterburner because I think WattMan is pretty adequate for me. But, I'm still using SpeedFan to track components temp. It reported 65 C on my gpu with auto fan profile. That's why I'm quite sure that it's not related to thermal issue.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
The next thing I'd consider is your PSU. What kind is it and how old is it? Last time I had a crash while running a GPU task that was the cause.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
The next thing I'd consider is your PSU. What kind is it and how old is it? Last time I had a crash while running a GPU task that was the cause.
I'm using 4 months-old Seasonic ECO 430. I never had any crash with other gpu projects (Einstein, Enigma, Milkyway, and sprint-related project). It only comes from seti, which is kinda sad because I have soft spot for seti.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
After aborting some batch of tasks few days ago, currently seti gpu tasks run without any issues. It's more like a gamble every time I ask for new batch of tasks from seti. Sometimes, it's all good, but occasionally, it isn't. One thing that really annoys me is that I can't isolate the problem properly so I can't tell you where the real problem is.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
You have a very high quality power supply, and the card only requires 85-100 watts of power, so I certainly do not believe the PSU is an issue, especially since it runs other projects just fine. I am sorry that we can't find a solution to this problem for you. :(

Reactions: ao_ika_red

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Thanks, I guess it's part and parcel of doing DC. Just won't take my eyes off seti every time it runs on my computer.