Question Random reboots started, try to trouble shoot offending component?

xeno2060

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2001
AMD Ryzen 5 3rd Gen - RYZEN 5 3600 Matisse (Zen 2) 6-Core 3.6 GHz (4.2 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W 100-100000031BOX Desktop Processor

GIGABYTE ?DDR4 SDRAM B450M DS3H AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2C3600C20

Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, up to 560 MB/s - CT1000MX500SSD1

CORSAIR RM Series RM650 CP-9020194-NA 650 W ATX12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply

Windows 10 Pro

Ruled out SSD-Drive - as I tried a clean reinstall on a New - Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2TB 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive Bare Drive.

Random reboots start @ the end of the reinstall.

Concerned the CPU is the issue. Has anyone here, had a similar issue with this CPU.

Thanks

• Wow
Reactions: DAPUNISHER
Jul 27, 2020
I would think it's the Gigabyte mobo. My current one is stable only after I paired it with Kingston RAM.

Oh boy! I see that you are using Corsair RAM. I can tell you from my hair pulling experience that Gigabyte has issues with Corsair RAM. My Corsair RAM only worked error-free with Dell Optiplex.

Reactions: xeno2060

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I assume this is a new build, and it was never, previously running stable?

Have you disabled windows' reboot on error setting and then was there a bluescreen code?

Why do you suspect the CPU, unless it is overheating?

I would boot to memtest86+ to check memory, or whatever else the kewl kids are using these days to check memory outside of windows... or does windows stay stable for a while, how long running and under what circumstances is a reboot likely to happen?

Does the windows install complete, and make it to the first boot to the desktop, and is this before or after you added drivers yourself?

If you get memory errors, you should resolve that first, THEN do another reinstall as you could have filesystem corruption.

You might check Gigabyte's site for a newer bios to improve memory compatibility, but first you must get the memory stable to flash the bios, maybe try underclocking the memory, then proving it stable through membest86+ before flashing... IF you feel adventurous.

Jul 27, 2020
Windows has a built-in memory test. It was failing on my Gigabyte mobo with Corsair RAM but the same RAM passed the memory test on Dell Optiplex. Finally got error free stability with Kingston RAM on my Gigabyte mobo.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ Yeah but if the memory is instable, booting/running windows sets up a potential filesystem corruption issue where even swapping memory, may not be enough, especially since if memory, the whole OS was installed using it.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Is the memory set to 1.35 or 1.375 in bios ? And have you tried setting the memory to 3466 instead of 3600 ? or even 3200 ?

The CPU is very UNlikely to be your problem, memory first, then motherboard. Also, what are temps ?

xeno2060

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2001
@mindless1

Sorry, details - was running stable for about 2 months ( running usually 24/7 )
the random reboots started 1 week ago. first thing I did was roll back Win 10, same issue.1st install completed, then same issue on the first boot up while configuring Win Tried new clean install on new HD never completed an install after that first unstable one on the SSD.

( no Errors or BSD ever encountered )
After the rollback, before I tried the clean install I was able to boot into Safe mode a couple of times, but every time I loaded Win in normal 64bit mode, random reboot.

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
It does seem likely that you have a hardware fault rather than an incompatibility since it ran stable for 2 mos. I might have thought some windows update but if using the same installation media, it can't even finish the install now, all that seems to remain besides a hardware fault is if you changed something in the bios after the first install that ran okay for 2 months.

Have you disabled windows reboot on error setting? Does a reboot mean it just suddenly, stops/resets, POSTS and begins to boot again? Does it stay stable if you leave it sitting in the bios? I might try that and watch the temperatures and voltages.

This is another reason to run something like memtest86+ outside of windows, not just to catch memory errors but see if it stays running for a few hours without a reset/reboot.

xeno2060

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2001
It does seem likely that you have a hardware fault rather than an incompatibility since it ran stable for 2 mos. I might have thought some windows update but if using the same installation media, it can't even finish the install now, all that seems to remain besides a hardware fault is if you changed something in the bios after the first install that ran okay for 2 months.

Have you disabled windows reboot on error setting? Does a reboot mean it just suddenly, stops/resets, POSTS and begins to boot again? Does it stay stable if you leave it sitting in the bios? I might try that and watch the temperatures and voltages.

This is another reason to run something like memtest86+ outside of windows, not just to catch memory errors but see if it stays running for a few hours without a reset/reboot.

Have you disabled windows reboot on error setting?
Yes while in Safe mode.

Does a reboot mean it just suddenly, stops/resets, POSTS and begins to boot again?
Yes exactly
Does it stay stable if you leave it sitting in the bios?
Yes

I might try that and watch the temperatures and voltages.
Temps stable, voltage looked normal.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
Had very similar situation with dying GPU once, would run memtest86, run stressapptest from linux boot usb. WIndows would install, but some 10-15 mins after installing GPU drivers it would just hard reboot without BSOD.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I wasn't going to chime in but something came to mind. I was getting kernel power errors in Windows and I chased it down to being a driver issue and not a power issue by booting into Linux and it being stable. IIRC it ended up being an Intel driver issue.

Things would be stable for a few days and then go haywire with reboots for no apparent reason. The fact that you can do safe mode leans towards it being a potential driver issue. I would try DDU to purge video drivers, check which Windows updates may have been installed, and go from there.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Hit me up, if you need me to bring over parts to troubleshoot.

First things first. Checklist includes - Clear CMOS and use defaults to evaluate stability. Remember, XMP is overclocking, and that ram kit already needs pretty loose timings to manage 3600MHz. Confirm ram is in slots 2&4. Try a different SATA cable and port.

What GPU are you using with this build? That is the next suspect. Device mangler says it's working properly? Need to rule it out before moving on. Could be soiling the bed when the OS tries to install drivers. That would explain the system being okay in safe mode.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Did a build recently for my son. System was stable for a month then started crashing while playing certain games that had just been installed. I tried everything, RAM testing, different PSU, removing overclocks, plus changing things that were on game specific sites. Finally did a BIOS update on the mobo and haven't had a crash since.

Jul 27, 2020
Did a build recently for my son. System was stable for a month then started crashing while playing certain games that had just been installed. I tried everything, RAM testing, different PSU, removing overclocks, plus changing things that were on game specific sites. Finally did a BIOS update on the mobo and haven't had a crash since.
Specs of the build if you don't mind please?

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Sadly I've run into usb/stability issues like that with chiplet Ryzens, they all relate to chiplets and power saving states.

I would suggest:
1. Disable "DF States"
2. If that doesn't help disable "Global CF States"

Disabling DF States is what did the trick for me and had essentially zero impact on power consumption.

Reactions: podspi

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
Sadly I've run into usb/stability issues like that with chiplet Ryzens, they all relate to chiplets and power saving states.

I would suggest:
1. Disable "DF States"
2. If that doesn't help disable "Global CF States"

Disabling DF States is what did the trick for me and had essentially zero impact on power consumption.
Is this what is going on? I've never had so many issues with USB stability.

I just picked up a pcie aib - no more stability issues.
Gigabyte B450 Aorus M

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Is this what is going on? I've never had so many issues with USB stability.

I just picked up a pcie aib - no more stability issues.
Gigabyte B450 Aorus M
AMD was supposed to fix USB issues with new AGESA revisions, but I don't think they did 100%. My entire household is AM4 and it's been really unpredictable - some motherboard/cpu combinations required disabling DF states out of the box to resolve USB issues, and some combinations have been stable for year before developing random reboots. In every single case though disabling DF States solved my issues. AM4 has been a great platform and I don't regret switching, but these issues have been incredibly annoying and I wish AMD actually fixed the problem instead of "calling it done".

Reactions: igor_kavinski

xeno2060

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2001
Hit me up, if you need me to bring over parts to troubleshoot.

First things first. Checklist includes - Clear CMOS and use defaults to evaluate stability. Remember, XMP is overclocking, and that ram kit already needs pretty loose timings to manage 3600MHz. Confirm ram is in slots 2&4. Try a different SATA cable and port.

What GPU are you using with this build? That is the next suspect. Device mangler says it's working properly? Need to rule it out before moving on. Could be soiling the bed when the OS tries to install drivers. That would explain the system being okay in safe mode.

Sapphire Radeon PULSE RX 580 100411P8GOCL Polaris GPU with 2304 4th generation of Graphics Core Next stream processors, boost-clocked at 1366 MHz, and 8 GB of VRAM.

Going with a Full Tower, ATX MB with B550 Chipset, not sure which MB any suggestions are much appreciated

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

xeno2060

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2001
How much do you want to spend? And what features are you after? Are you going to upgrade CPUs later?

If you want a good budget board that can easily handle a 3600, this is a good deal right now - https://www.newegg.com/asrock-b550-...7936?Item=N82E16813157936&Tpk=N82E16813157936

EDIT: Sale ends in an hour. Ya snooze ya lose, literally. :p

If you want beefier VRMs the Tomahawk is $160 after code - https://www.newegg.com/msi-mag-b550-tomahawk/p/N82E16813144326?Item=N82E16813144326

I bought that Asrock board and returned it, decided to spend some extra and get a board that would be better suited for a CPU upgrade.