Random Crashing?

DarkManX4lf

Jan 24, 2006
Ok I have my AMD x2 3800 overclocked to 2.7ghz (300x9) and my ram using the 5:3 divider and is runnign at DDR500, memtest ran for 9hours stable, and OCCT ran for 8hours stable no errors in each program, but when I use vista randomly I wil get a quick blue screen and then reboot...whats wrong here?

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
First thing to check...heat.

I know, I know...your motherboard BIOS and your temp software say that everything is within range...that might be true...THEY WILL LIE.

As that heat dissipates off the CPU, VPU, RAM and HDD it must be evacuated out of the case fast enough so that it does not build up.

Eliminate the simple stuff first:

#1) check to make sure that all dust and crap are completely cleaned from ALL your fans

#2) Get all your cables nice and neat so they are not restricting air-flow.

#3) add another fan or two to your case that pull air out of it and if needed add one to pull cool air in.

You may want to check your thermal paste also....it may be too thick...or too thin or depending oh how long ago you did it it may have dried out...I check mine every 6-8 months just to be safe.

After you have done that. May want to reduce your overclock and start over rasing it slowly to see where the problem is.

Up your voltage.

I have the same motherboard (awesome!) as you with a 4000+ SanDiego that hit 3.0GHZ easy and an x1950XTX...heat monsters I tell ya!

I am on water, with 3 case fans 1 in 2 out all my temps seemed well with in range but I had random lockups and reboots...untill I added a 4th 80mm fan to the back that pulled out more hot air from inside the case....now it runs peachy keen even on the hottest days of summer without the A/C on.

DarkManX4lf

Jan 24, 2006
Ok, so I cleaned out the dust in the comp, the cables were already as neat as possible for the case I have. In this case there is a 120mm fan blowing air in (front) and a 120mm fan blowing air out (back) and a 120mm fan on the cpu (TT Big Typhoon), I lapped the heatsink base and the cpu IHS, and so far there hasnt been a crash yet....

Lord Banshee

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2004
So what does the BSOD say? If it is rebooting too fast to see it disable auto reboot on crash.
"windows+break", Advance Settings, "startup and recovery" settings, uncheck "System Failure" Automatic restart.

If it is IRQ equal or less than i found those to be too high of an OC. If it says a driver name like creative or ati then you know it is one of your drivers conflicting... Also in vista MS will log the error and when you restart it should ask you to find a solution. It seems pretty good to figure out a general idea what was crashing.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Just a quick question, but can you complete a run of cinebench (smp mode) at your current 2.7 ghz OC?

DarkManX4lf

Jan 24, 2006
Originally posted by: DrMrLordX
Just a quick question, but can you complete a run of cinebench (smp mode) at your current 2.7 ghz OC?

Umm not sure how to run smp mode, I'm new to the software but I clicked on run all tests and it ran and didnt lock up.

Originally posted by: Lord Banshee
So what does the BSOD say? If it is rebooting too fast to see it disable auto reboot on crash.
"windows+break", Advance Settings, "startup and recovery" settings, uncheck "System Failure" Automatic restart.

If it is IRQ equal or less than i found those to be too high of an OC. If it says a driver name like creative or ati then you know it is one of your drivers conflicting... Also in vista MS will log the error and when you restart it should ask you to find a solution. It seems pretty good to figure out a general idea what was crashing.

Well when I do get the bsod, all I see is a blue screen and then it reboots, no words. Where can I get the crash log like you said?

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Is there any particular reason you are running 64bit Vista on that older system?

Anyway, it appears Vista 64 can't handle that overclock. Did it run well on XP?

DarkManX4lf

Jan 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Conky
Is there any particular reason you are running 64bit Vista on that older system?

Vista 64 doesnt run good on older systems? I think Vista 64 should run fine on this system. I had the same problem in WinXP 64 but the last time I ran WinXP 64 was in December.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Originally posted by: DarkManX4lf
Originally posted by: Conky

Vista 64 doesnt run good on older systems?
Well, it's a beta O/S so I don't know. Did that system run good under XP?