Random BSODs while gaming, watching videos, skyping

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
So I did a new PC build about two months ago, and I started having some serious issues recently. It seems like it coincided with when I upgraded from my GTx260 to a pair of new R9 280x's, but I was able to prove otherwise.

System specs:
Core i7 4770k
H90 cooler
MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133/9-11-11-31
2x Asus Direct CU II R9 280x
Samsung Evo 840 500GB
Windows 8.1

I started noticing BSODs when I started playing Diablo in anticipation of the expansion. I was installed on my older Corsair Force GT 120GB, and the BSODs seemed so random and were caused by a different thing every time, giving a different error every time, I decided to do a clean install on my Samsung Evo. I made sure to update my motherboard bios, get the latest drivers, and install all the device drivers. I have done nothing else on the install besides download Diablo 3 for testing.

It still errored. I figured it might be memory so I ran memtest overnight which did 7 passes with no errors. I swapped back to my old GTX260 with no success. I even swapped to my spare power supply. Nothing seemed to work, but the memory passes memtest and the CPU can prime 95 all day long.

Last night, I thought I finally found something. If I disable the XMP proflle in the bios and let the memory auto configure to 1333/9-9-9-24 it seemed stable overnight when it would normally have crashed. I left the XMP disabled for now but manually set the rated memory frequency and timings and am currently testing now.

What are the odds the problem is memory since it passes memtest fine with XMP enabled? I would like to think the memory is fine and its a motherboard problem, but could it be the CPU? I'm so lost at what device I should be seeking support on to try and get replaced.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Sounds to me more like it doesn't like the Catalyst drivers. Have you tried running different versions?

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Yeah, I had tried the latest 13.12 catalyst drivers, used driver cleaner to remove it and tried 13.9, then I cleaned that off and swapped to my old Nvidia GTX260 and installed the latest forceware drivers and none of it made a difference.

I submitted a ticket to MSI about the motherboard and they are RMAing it. I hope that solves the problem, but I'll see.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Could be it. When you went from having one PCI-Express 2.0 card to two PCI-Express 3.0 cards, that may have unearthed a bad lane on the board (or a bad slot altogether). I suppose time will tell if I am a very good guesser.