Random artifacts on plasma screen used with HTPC

blackhaus99

Oct 23, 2013
I'm hoping folks here can help me with an intermittent display issue I'm having. I have a Sandy Bridge based HTPC using the Intel HD3000 graphics. I'm running 64-bit Windows 7. I have this hooked up to my 58" Samsung plasma screen through an Onkyo receiver. All connections are with HDMI. Ever since I've had this setup I will get these strange faint blue bands near the top edge of the screen. I see them sometimes when I'm watching Netflix. If I'm browsing the internet in Chrome they will appear and then disappear as I scroll down the page. I suspect a display driver issue. I have the latest Intel drivers but have been unable to get rid of this issue.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Does your Sammy have VGA input? If so, try it with that from PC to TV. If the problem remains, your TV screen has failed. If not, I suspect either bad HDMI cable or connection through your receiver via HDMI or both.

If I were you I would start off with VGA connection.

cheez

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
Connect the PC straight to the TV instead of the receiver and see if you still the get the artifacts.

blackhaus99

Oct 23, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried connecting the computer directly to the TV with HDMI and with VGA. The artifacts were still there, but the strange thing is there were less of them with the VGA connection. I know the VGA cable is good as I used the one I normally use to connect may laptop to my external monitor and it works fine.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried connecting the computer directly to the TV with HDMI and with VGA. The artifacts were still there, but the strange thing is there were less of them with the VGA connection. I know the VGA cable is good as I used the one I normally use to connect may laptop to my external monitor and it works fine.
Please try relocating the TV. Move it to a different location, far away from things like fire place, speakers, etc. It's possible it's being interfered with the RFI/EMI. This is next step for troubleshooting to rule out.

Also try a different power cord for your TV before moving. Also try it after you moved the TV as well.

cheez

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005

Looks like a bad HDMI cable honestly. You got another one you can try? Another thing might be the GPU is going bad. Can you buy a cheap GPU with HDMI bitstream to try?

Last edited:

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Looks like a bad HDMI cable honestly. You got another one you can try? Another thing might be the GPU is going bad. Can you buy a cheap GPU with HDMI bitstream to try?
Since he is getting the artifact issue on his screen with HDMI and VGA straight to the TV it's not the HDMI cable being culprit. The problem is likely either the TV is failing or is being interfered by RFI/EMI. He can however try the graphics card to test. ;)

cheez