Rand Paul makes up his own Board Certification in Opthalmology

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
If he disagrees with the existing board, why not just not get certified and leave it at that? Why start his own board so he can claim that he's board certified?

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
If he disagrees with the existing board, why not just not get certified and leave it at that? Why start his own board so he can claim that he's board certified?

This is at the root of his dishonesty. He could have made a principled stand against board certification if that was his goal, but he didn't. Instead, he went out of his way to make up shit and try to bullshit others into thinking he was legitimately board certified.

Asked when he would explain this weasel move, Rand replied, ""Uh, you know, never ..."

If it acts like a weasel and won't answer direct questions like a weasel, it may just be a weasel!

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
This is at the root of his dishonesty. He could have made a principled stand against board certification if that was his goal, but he didn't. Instead, he went out of his way to make up shit and try to bullshit others into thinking he was legitimately board certified.

Asked when he would explain this weasel move, Rand replied, ""Uh, you know, never ..."

If it acts like a weasel and won't answer direct questions like a weasel, it may just be a weasel!

Out of curiosity, why is creating a separate competing board somehow less principled?

I will be honest and acknowledge that I do not know everything about his separate board; are many people a part of it or is the the sole member and organizer of it? That may be useful to know to provide a more reasonable description for what's going on.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Well hell, if we are going to buy the validity of the Rand Paul board, why does not ranting Rand just cut to the chase and declare the AMA in non compliance by de-certifying them.

Insurance companies would go ding ding ding, and refuse to recognize the validity of their submitted claims from all doctors in the state of Kentucky.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007

What makes that made up board any more legitimate than the one he started?

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
What makes that made up board any more legitimate than the one he started?

Well, for starters:

Beth Ann Slembarski, the administrator of the American Board of Ophthalmology, said her group has certified more than 29,000 ophthalmologists over the past century and that there are now about 16,000 practicing ophthalmologists certified by the group.

The American Board operates out of an office building in a Philadelphia suburb and has 11 employees, Slembarski said.

The group's board of directors includes 20 people from around the country, 18 of whom are ophthalmologists.

In comparison, the address for Paul's group is a UPS Store in Bowling Green.

An Internet search found only seven ophthalmologists other than Paul who say they are members of or are certified by Paul's group.

All say they also are certified [unlike Dr. Paul!] by the American Board of Ophthalmology; none returned phone calls to their offices.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Out of curiosity, why is creating a separate competing board somehow less principled?

I will be honest and acknowledge that I do not know everything about his separate board; are many people a part of it or is the the sole member and organizer of it? That may be useful to know to provide a more reasonable description for what's going on.

If it was done principally as a bullshit dodge to misrepresent himself, that would be less principled, wouldn't it?

Did he do it to misrepresent himself? Well, uhhhhhh:

The Courier-Journal also reports that Paul said shortly before his May 18 primary victory that he was certified by both ophthalmological boards.
A spokesman subsequently said that Paul misspoke because the question was unclear and he acknowledged his certification by the American Board had lapsed.​
Well, then, surely Dr. Paul will want to clear this up:

What did Paul say when the Courier-Journal approached him about the certification issue?

"I'm not going to go through all that right now," Paul said while at the Great Eastern National Gun Day Show and JAG Military Show, in Louisville. Asked when he would talk, Paul said: "Uh, you know, never. ...
Ok, well, what can WE find out about whether this is a sham organization or not:
Beth Ann Slembarski, the administrator of the American Board of Ophthalmology, said her group has certified more than 29,000 ophthalmologists over the past century and that there are now about 16,000 practicing ophthalmologists certified by the group.

The American Board operates out of an office building in a Philadelphia suburb and has 11 employees, Slembarski said.

The group's board of directors includes 20 people from around the country, 18 of whom are ophthalmologists.

In comparison, the address for Paul's group is a UPS Store in Bowling Green.

An Internet search found only seven ophthalmologists other than Paul who say they are members of or are certified by Paul's group.

All say they also are certified [unlike Dr. Paul!] by the American Board of Ophthalmology; none returned phone calls to their offices.
According to records with the Kentucky Secretary of State, the organization was first incorporated in Kentucky in 1999. On records in that office, Paul is listed as "owner/president" on some forms and "president" on others.

Asked what requirements the National Board of Ophthalmology has for recertifying doctors, Paul's wife, Kelley, who is listed on forms as the group's vice president, said: "I'm not involved in that. I'm not officially talking about that today.'"

After incorporating the board in 1999, Paul allowed it to be dissolved in 2000, when he didn't file required paperwork with the Kentucky secretary of state's office.

But he revived it in September 2005, just three months before his certification from the American Board of Ophthalmology was scheduled to lapse.
The president and owner of this board? Paul. His wife is vice president of the group, and his father-in-law is listed as its secretary.
This is just what we can initially gather. Dr. Paul getting caught in May misspeaking about his membership in both, something he could hardly not know, and now, having been caught, clamming up and refusing to speak further, does raise one's suspicions.

The whole thing kinda' smells. Quack! Based on the this initial evidence, you don't need a duck call here to have strong doubts about his motives and integrity.

Trust me, I'd like to see libertarianism, whatever it is, better defined and better represented, because lord knows we need new ideas and fresh perspectives and fresh blood not beholden to the same old special interests from all sides of the political spectrum.

Sadly, to me libertarianism seems more of a vaguely defined pipe dream, a yearning, that falls apart the closer anyone looks at it.

One small possible example from Dr. Paul himself:

In a separate story from the Lexington Herald-Leader, Paul gets dinged for supporting Big Government spending only when it affects his pocketbook:
But as a Bowling Green eye surgeon, Paul built his medical practice on payments from Medicare and Medicaid, the massive government health care programs considered to be leading contributors to the national debt.

Paul, the Republican nominee, has been paid $130,461 in Medicaid funds since 2006, about one-third of the sum that he billed the program, according to the state Cabinet for Health and Family Services, which administers that program. Doctors’ Medicaid billings often are disputed in part, leading to smaller payments than they requested [...]

On the campaign trail, Paul calls for the abolition of entire agencies, such as the U.S. Department of Education, while complaining that Medicare payments to doctors have been cut too deeply, making it one of the few government expenses he consistently defends.

“Physicians should be allowed to make a comfortable living,” Paul told supporters in Louisville in May, according to the Wall Street Journal.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Well, for starters:

So because one made up board has more suckers makes it more legitimate?

Seriously, this is a total non issue and actually makes Rand Paul more appealing to those that love liberty. He is going to win, no doubt. This state really hates Obama and all he has to do is run an anti-Obama campaign.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
So because one made up board has more suckers makes it more legitimate?

Raising your screaming bullshit false equivalency flag just outs you for the hack you are.

Calling 16,000 American ophthalmologists, 19 out of every 20 in the entire country including the only other 7 known to be certified by Dr. Paul's board suckers is just the icing on your loon-hack-credentials cake.

You'll say anything, swallow anything, no matter how discredited, for your loonballcrusade, so eat it. Eat your nutty, nutty fruitcake, loon.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
The establishment is really grasping at straws.

And too many people are falling for this crap.

There was another hit piece on WaPo recently attacking Ron for being a gold advocate while personally investing in Gold. Of course anyone with half a brain could figure out his own policies support appreciating the value of the dollar, depreciating the value of his gold.

But of course those who just see the headline and fail to actually comprehend the accompanying article are left with a very distorted view. And that's all they want really.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
I don't think it surprises anyone that Rand Paul, like his father, is just like any other politician.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
The establishment is really grasping at straws.

And too many people are falling for this crap.

There was another hit piece on WaPo recently attacking Ron for being a gold advocate while personally investing in Gold. Of course anyone with half a brain could figure out his own policies support appreciating the value of the dollar, depreciating the value of his gold.

But of course those who just see the headline and fail to actually comprehend the accompanying article are left with a very distorted view. And that's all they want really.

And anybody with half a brain would realize that the stockpiling of gold for the purpose of currency reserve would result in gold appreciating. It's a simple "free market" concept.

This isn't surprising about Rand Paul. What's pathetic is that people would advocate this type of chaos.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
LOL, yeah. Ron Paul thinks we're really going to back to dollar to gold again. It has nothing to do with the central banks expanding the money supply at historical levels. Thanks for the laugh, LK.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I'm sure Dr. Paul's board is far better than the AMA bullshit. The AMA is a parasite on society.

I definitely agree with those that made the comments which pointed out there is no one definite board. Competition is good. Anyone who thinks the AMA's board and only the AMA's board can be legitimate is a dumbfuck.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
So Paul didn't like the hoops he had to jump through so he invented his own hoops.

how elitist.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I'd love to see if the blind partisan hacks in this thread would get their important medical care from a doc who gets credentialed by a fake board.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
I'd love to see if the blind partisan hacks in this thread would get their important medical care from a doc who gets credentialed by a fake board.

I bet if he was self certified in abortion you wouldn't be complaining. :rolleyes: The beautiful thing about our current medical establishment is we can CHOOSE which Doctors we want to go to. You aren't against CHOICE are you?

Either way, is Rand Paul going to be treating his constituents if he gets elected? We have democratic congressman assaulting their constituents and they are praised by the left here.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I bet if he was self certified in abortion you wouldn't be complaining. :rolleyes: The beautiful thing about our current medical establishment is we can CHOOSE which Doctors we want to go to. You aren't against CHOICE are you?

Either way, is Rand Paul going to be treating his constituents if he gets elected? We have democratic congressman assaulting their constituents and they are praised by the left here.

Pathetic attempt at diversion. Yes, I would complain if someone was doing abortions and had a fake certification. That's probably hard for a blind raving partisan to understand.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Pathetic attempt at diversion. Yes, I would complain if someone was doing abortions and had a fake certification. That's probably hard for a blind raving partisan to understand.

Ok.. fair enough. I believe you. Now does he need a certification to be senator?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Heh. Kinda reminds me of self-regulated banking...

Vote for Rand Paul because he's a Libertarian Loon!

Great slogan, huh?