Question RAM or SSD?

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
My daughter PC has 8GB DDR4 and a 5400rpm hard drive. It is slow to boot, exit games, alt-tab between game and desktop, etc. Once it’s in game it’s fast enough, so the problem is not the CPU. I can’t decide if it needs more RAM or an SSD. The “slow boot” says hard drive, but the slow alt-tab says memory. I can’t afford both at this time so anyone have an idea of which would give the biggest bang for the buck?

hojnikb

Sep 18, 2014
SSD first for sure. 8GB is plenty, if you're not a heavy user. It might help if you clean up your system, remove apps you don't need from startup, etc..

arandomguy

Sep 3, 2013
SSD boot drive is going to be the cheaper option than another 8GB of memory. It'll also even improve direct game loads off the HDD as it will no longer need to concurrently serve as the boot drive (splits the work load).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
y daughter PC has 8GB DDR4 and a 5400rpm hard drive
Is this a custom PC, or a pre-built name-brand rig? It sounds like a name-brand OEM rig, if it has a 5400RPM HDD in it.

Make sure to get an SSD that comes with (or allows for a download license for) some cloning software, so that you can clone the original OS. Or make OS recovery CD/DVDs, or a USB stick, whatever the PC allows. Then install the SSD, unplug the HDD, and use the recovery media to install the OEM OS image.

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
Is this a custom PC, or a pre-built name-brand rig? It sounds like a name-brand OEM rig, if it has a 5400RPM HDD in it.
It's a custom rig I put together. It's the Core i3 in the signature below. I can't remember why I used a 5400rpm drive, maybe that was the only one I had available at that time. She uses her PC for homework and to play Guild Wars 2, Mass Effect, etc.

I'm thinking of getting the Team Group SSD. I WANT to buy her the 240Gb ($29 on Newegg) but her drive currently has 200Gb on it even after helping her clean it up, so I NEED to buy her the 480Gb ($49 on Newegg) to insure she has room to grow. Games take a butt load of space!

arandomguy

Sep 3, 2013
You don't necessarily need everything on the SSD. A common thing was to use a SSD as a OS drive and to leave a few select commonly used applications on it. Many people for instance will typically only play a few games at a time predominantly.

A SSD as an OS drive will also indirectly increase performance on the HDD as it will need to multitask much less.

Reactions: billw

DontMessWithJohan

Jan 2, 2019
Buy her a 250GB SSD for OS and programs (honestly, even 125GB is enough) and a 1TB HDD for games and files and she will grow plenty :)

Get ready to completely reinstall everything if you do that, though.

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
Buy her a 250GB SSD for OS and programs (honestly, even 125GB is enough) and a 1TB HDD for games and files and she will grow plenty :)
Ha! You underestimate the ability of Microsoft Windows to fill a hard drive with junk files and old patches. I learned a long time ago to plan for twice what you think you need, then double that. And don't be surprised if you need more. Fast CPU's and inexpensive storage has simply made Windows programmers sloppy.;)

Last edited:

hojnikb

Sep 18, 2014
Not really. I'm running a bunch of office like PCs with just 64GB of ssds and they works just fine. A cleanup here or there and no worries.