RAM not compatible?

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Hey all,
I have an ECS GeForce6100SM-M (V1.0). I tried to install Windows XP on it with some Kingston Value RAM KVR800D2N5K2/1G. It is compatible according to Kingston, But all it did for me when I tried to install XP was give me BSODs . I was able to install XP using some Corsair I had (value RAM, 667 MHZ 2x512). Then I put the Kingston back in to test it. I got through 2 hours and 5 minutes torture test Prime95 first time, 2 hours and 6 minutes second time (stopped with errors at those times). I then ran it through Memtest86- it went through 9 times flawlessly.

After that I installed motherboard monitor to check on my voltages. After I did that, the PC kept shutting down after a couple of minutes with nothing really prompting the shutdowns. Keep in mind it had been on all night as I left it on for testing purposes, so this shutting down thing seemed to ahve more to do with installing mobo monitor. Uninstalling didn't help, nor did system restore or attempting a repair via XP disc.

So, I decided to re-install from scratch. Again, the Kingston memory did not work, but again I was able to succesfully install with the Corsair.

Anyway, I was wondering if there could be a compatibility issue or what could the problem be, as the RAM passed the MEMtest86 flawlessly for 9 full runs of the standard tests (for several hours in other words) and also got through Prime95 for 2 hours, but was unable to install Windows using it. What do you all think? Should I RMA the RAM? Or is it perhaps something else? ???

thanks!

edit: posted this first in the RAM section but then realized it probably wouldn't get many views there and also that it is also a mobo issue too possibly

Please do not cross-post. I left the post in System Memory open for you, but I have locked this one. If you prefer it the other way around (this is one of those where does this best fit? posts) I'd be happy to swap them.
Anandtech Moderator - bsobel