RAM/MOBO Issues

R3N3GAD3Z

Apr 17, 2012
I have been having repetitive problems with MOBOs and RAM and I'm am getting sick of it and about to give up so if someone could give me any advice leading to the resolution I would be EXTREMELY greatful.

System Specs are as follows:

Phenom X4 960T
8GB G.Skills Ripjaw
Gigabyte 970A-UD3
WD 500GB Hard Drive
Generic Disk Drive
XFX HD6870

My issues stems from what I believe to be the MOBO but obviously I could be wrong. This is the 4th MOBO I have used and they all have the same issue. 2 of the 4 RAM slots are always bad. If the slots are number 1, 2, 3, and 4 slots 3 and 4 always cause problems so I can't run my stick how they are suppose to. My first MOBO was an ASUS m40A something and I RMAd the first bad board back to newegg. When the 2nd board was bad as well I switched to the Gigabyte brand. Unfortunately the 2 board I have used from them are also bad.

At this point your probably thinking that I have a bad RAM stick. Well I have both sticks in the 1 and 2 positions and they are working fine. Memtests come back clear and my old 2x2 RAM sticks have the same problems which is what makes me think the issue is with the MOBO.

Any suggestions or questions?

ky54

Mar 30, 2010
Have you tried using different RAM other than the sticks you are already using?

R3N3GAD3Z

Apr 17, 2012
Yes. Same issue. I have a 2x2 set at the same speed and it worked fine in slots 1 and 2 but anything put in 3 or 4 wouldn't work correctly

ky54

Mar 30, 2010
Maybe you should try using different RAM and see if you get the same results. At least that way you can replicate the problem with different RAM. I just sounds strange to have exactly the same problem on two new mobo's and even switch brands and STILL have the same problem...twice. I was thinking about clearing the CMOS or something like that but it can't possibly happen with 4 boards two from a different company. Yeah, see if you can replicate it with completely different RAM if you have some or see if a buddy does.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hate to tell you this, but if four mobos, and two different sets of RAM, all show as bad, then you may have a bad CPU. The CPU contains the IMC (integrated memory controller), that interfaces with the RAM banks on the motherboard.

R3N3GAD3Z

Apr 17, 2012
Hate to tell you this, but if four mobos, and two different sets of RAM, all show as bad, then you may have a bad CPU. The CPU contains the IMC (integrated memory controller), that interfaces with the RAM banks on the motherboard.

Honestly I hadn't thought of that but heres is my issue with that. This is my second CPU too. After I shipped back the first mobo I didn't have a good way to store my CPU and some of the pins ended up getting bent. So I exchanged the CPU. So both CPUs would have to be bad which I find almost as unlikely as all 4 MOBOs being bad.

Is there some kind of software diagnostic test I can use?

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
Due to CPU limitations, read the following guidelines before installing the memory in Dual Channel mode.
1. Dual Channel mode cannot be enabled if only one DDR3 memory module is installed.
2. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used and installed in the same colored DDR3 sockets for optimum performance. when enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, we recommend that you install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 sockets.
this is from the manual. and the slots are from left to right 4-2-3-1

R3N3GAD3Z

Apr 17, 2012
Due to CPU limitations, read the following guidelines before installing the memory in Dual Channel mode.
1. Dual Channel mode cannot be enabled if only one DDR3 memory module is installed.
2. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used and installed in the same colored DDR3 sockets for optimum performance. when enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, we recommend that you install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 sockets.
this is from the manual. and the slots are from left to right 4-2-3-1

What was the point of writing this? I already knew that. The problem isn't that I don't know how it works. The issue is that when I try to use Dual Channel either the MOBO, CPU, or RAM is not functioning correctly.

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
Ok! not trying to say your wrong! the fact is most the time peoples don't read the manual.so you did change the rams. did you make sure they are compatible.Next you changed the cpu.are you sure you don't have bend pins on it.and what about the PSU what kind is it.

R3N3GAD3Z

Apr 17, 2012
I did read the manual and the RAM was in right. I used a different set of sticks too to try and rule out the sticks as a problem. Virtually all DDR3 1600 Mhz RAM is compatible with all current MOBOs. And the chances of it NOT being compatible with 2 different brands is highly unlikely. If the pins were bent I would not have even been able to put it in much less use it. My PSU is an Antec Neo 520 I believe.

pete1229

Feb 12, 2011
What OS and version are you running?
32bit? 64bit?

If your running a 32bit version of windows it only supports 4GB of ram!

Last edited:

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Well if the board and cpu have been ruled out why haven't you swapped out the ram? Just because they work ok by themselves or in pairs does not quarantee they will all 4 work together. Either try swapping out the ram or another component you are hooking up to the board. I only say this because in 15 years of PCF repair nothing shocks me and any component in your configuration can cause any other component to fail.

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
Well if the board and cpu have been ruled out why haven't you swapped out the ram? Just because they work ok by themselves or in pairs does not quarantee they will all 4 work together. Either try swapping out the ram or another component you are hooking up to the board. I only say this because in 15 years of PCF repair nothing shocks me and any component in your configuration can cause any other component to fail.

I like what Matt1970 suggested. In the meantime, I wonder if there is any method of testing a CPU integrated memory controller?

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
To the OP: I can tell you are frustrated. All the same, it would be a lot more helpful if you could specifically describe the exact problem you have. I mean, what exactly is happening?

Some things u can try are: over volting slightly, changing the speeds or latency, testing the PSU, etc.

pete1229

Feb 12, 2011
R3n, again, you still need to let us know what operating system you are running, if it is a windows 32bit, ram slots 3 & 4 are useless as you already have 4 GB of ram installed in slots 1 & 2. Your operating system will not recognize the additional modules. It's not your mobo or the ram, it's the limits of your OS.