Question RAM issues?

Golg

Feb 18, 2022
Hi All

Since the last couple of weeks my system has been crashing randomly multiple times a day and the bluescreen view app shows that it is a problem with ntoskrnl.exe. I tried reinstalling windows and drivers but it didnt help. I ran memtest86 and it is showing a bunch of errors in the first 5 tests

Test Errors
0 - 0
1 - 28
2 - 8
3 - 20
4 - 28
5 - 52

My RAM model is -
G.Skill RipJaws V Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) CL18-22-22-42 1.35V Dual Channel Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-64GVK

Does the result from memtest mean that I have a bad RAM? Is the only option to replace it?

Thank you in advance

Jul 27, 2020
It could simply be RAM incompatibility with your mobo. My Corsair RAM showed errors on my Gigabyte mobo but worked fine in Dell Optiplex desktop without errors. Better if you can test on a different brand of mobo.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Assuming you are not OCing, and are using the default XMP settings, it is very likely the RAM is simply unstable at those advertised settings. Now it could be your memory controller, but this is less likely. What motherboard and CPU are you using?

I would start an RMA, but Gskill will probably replace the entire kit, not just one DIMM.

Reactions: Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
Assuming you are not OCing, and are using the default XMP settings, it is very likely the RAM is simply unstable at those advertised settings. Now it could be your memory controller, but this is less likely. What motherboard and CPU are you using?

I would start an RMA, but Gskill will probably replace the entire kit, not just one DIMM.
Nailed it, but I wouldn't go so far as RMA them. The OP supplies some technical info about the problem but more info is needed to properly identify the cause of the problem first.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Could it be that the VCCIO and VCCSA -- IMC and system-agent voltages -- might be tweaked just a bit? Don't know what generation processor or motherboard defines your system, but the RAM spec at DDR4-3600 might need extra attention on those voltages.

susannedieter

Mar 17, 2022
I have a question. I am facing a problem with my laptop. I am using Intel core I7 6th Generation laptop 256 GB SSD Samsung Hard drive with 8 Gb Ram. But My system still working slowly during the working on the Chrome browser. Tell me why this problem occurs. Guide me on how can I resolve this problem. It really irritates me when I open multiple tabs on chrome.

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
open multiple tabs on chrome.
Bum your RAM up higher to 16GB or 32GB if your system supports it. I had issues with Chrome being a resource hog with 16GB and switched to 32GB and now it's more stable and doesn't crash tabs as often at this point.

1647548723141.png
1647548749829.png

Killing off processes within Chrome by using Shift+ESC brings up the task manager within Chrome to specifically kill off things as needed. Using "chrome://restart" will close/reopen the browser to purge things quickly.

There's also been some issues with Chrome versions that have memory leaks that cause system bloat occasionally I caught Chrome ballooning to 20GB+ of RAM use for some reason. I haven't seen it in a couple of months though since the newer releases have resolved this behavior at least for now.

Mantrid-Drone

Mar 15, 2014
There should be no problem with an i7, SSD and 8GB RAM for anything except very high demand purposes let alone general browsing.

Before wasting money upgrading your RAM at least test it with MemTest86 and if you get any errors you know where the trouble is, probably.

I had all sorts of well meaning but actually unhelpful advice, like reinstalling Windows, some of it only a few rungs up the ladder from blaming everything on malware, when I reported random BSOD on one of my desktops last year.

If I'd listen to the guy here who said it sounded like a RAM issue and run MemTest86 I would have saved myself a lot of time. I'd guessed but then dismissed that as the problem because the RAM was only a couple of years old and had not been stressed at any time.

I'd forgotten that two of the ID matched RAM modules I was using were bought used and had who knows what abuse before I bought them.

MemTest86 will take only half-an hour of your time to download, install and run and, at the very least, will rule out a RAM faults as the cause of the problem so you'll know it is something else.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
But My system still working slowly during the working on Chrome browser.
@Mantrid-Drone

The user isn't experiencing crashes or BSODs. Just slowness which I can confirm happens with Chrome a lot if you are in the habit of opening lots of tabs. I have 32GB RAM and I still suffer sometimes when RAM reaches 95% and heavy paging starts hitting my WD Green SSD. I'm thinking of getting a decent used Intel Enterprise SSD to minimize the pain of such times because I don't really have the budget for a 128GB RAM laptop.

Mantrid-Drone

Mar 15, 2014
I realise that but the thread is about possible RAM problems, random BSOD in particular.

Why susannedieter posted here rather than open a new thread is a mystery because, as you and Tech Junky have said, it could be 'just' a Chrome tab overload issue.

However Tech Junky did suggest bumping up the RAM to 16GB or even 32GB, a costly and likely unnecessary outlay particularly as you have just indicated it does not resolve the problem if it is a Chrome issue.

There's no harm in doing what I suggested is there? It will, as said, rule out a RAM hardware fault being involved too at no cost.

Reactions: igor_kavinski