Question Ram issue with 3950x

LIVEFRMNYC

Apr 1, 2020
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum.

My issue is .....
I just upgraded my CPU from a 2700x to 3590x on a x470 Gigabyte Ultra Gaming 7 wifi mobo. I got everything working smoothly except one issue .......it doesn't post with 64gb ram.

The 2700x had no issues with 64gb of ram running at 3000. It's not able to run 32gb or 64gb at 3200.

The 3590x can post on 48gb ram, but only at 3000. It can post on 32gb ram at 3200. But again, can't post with 64gb ram at any speed. It won't even let me go into bios with all my sticks in.

So right now I'm using 48gb ram (3x16) at 3000. Only a minor hit in rendering times, so not a big deal. Still would love to get this resolved though.

I tried clearing the bios and putting ram in differ slots. Still the same issue.

My ram sticks are Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 C16. All four sticks Samsung B-Die.

Do you guys think it's a ram compatibly issue with the 3590x, or x470 doesn't play flawless with gen 3? I have a 850 psu, so I don't think power should be the issue.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
First, welcome to the forums. Second, I would only put the 48 gig in, then make sure the bios uses 1.375v for the ram, set the speed (don't know the bios) to 3200 cl16. Save and reboot. If all is well, add the last stick and try to boot again.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
What are the sticks rated for? Are they from the same kit? Even if they are, you may need to take a closer look.

I bought a 4-stick corsair kit and it turns out the timing on 2 of the sticks was higher than the other two. I can still run them at advertised speeds (technically out of spec), but I imagine that in another scenario like yours things could be pushed outside the limits.

LIVEFRMNYC

Apr 1, 2020
First, welcome to the forums. Second, I would only put the 48 gig in, then make sure the bios uses 1.375v for the ram, set the speed (don't know the bios) to 3200 cl16. Save and reboot. If all is well, add the last stick and try to boot again.

Thanks, I gave that a try. Same issue with 1.375v. Only thing I succeed at was having 48gb run at 3200 at 1.45v. But I rather not keep the voltage there. I'm a noob at messing with voltage.

No matter what I try, even at 1.5v. It still will not post with the last stick even with xmp disabled.

I also checked the slots, rotated three sticks to differ positions on four slots. The slots are fine.

What are the sticks rated for? Are they from the same kit? Even if they are, you may need to take a closer look.

I bought a 4-stick corsair kit and it turns out the timing on 2 of the sticks was higher than the other two. I can still run them at advertised speeds (technically out of spec), but I imagine that in another scenario like yours things could be pushed outside the limits.

I bought two Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 C16 (2 x 16) months apart. I just took a look at CPU-Z and realized one kit is not Samsung B-Die. But each matching set has the same timings according to bios.

This issue wasn't an issue with the 2700x, so I'm wondering what has changed.

I'm going to head to microcenter tomorrow and get (2 x 32gb) sticks. Hopefully that will works.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The IMC is going to struggle as you add more memory ranks (dual-rank DIMMs are especially a pita; not sure if yours are, but they might be). Also, if your board is daisy chain (vs. t-topology), you may struggle to get 8 ranks of memory working on your system.

Have you tried DDR4-2133 yet?

LIVEFRMNYC

Apr 1, 2020
The IMC is going to struggle as you add more memory ranks (dual-rank DIMMs are especially a pita; not sure if yours are, but they might be). Also, if your board is daisy chain (vs. t-topology), you may struggle to get 8 ranks of memory working on your system.

That's definitely above my knowledge.

Have you tried DDR4-2133 yet?

All I know is, with XMP disabled, that's the speed these sticks run at by default on the 2700x and 3950x. All four sticks run at 3200 with XMP on the 2700x.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
That's definitely above my knowledge.

Fair enough. Most x370 and x470 boards are t-topology, but not all of them.

All I know is, with XMP disabled, that's the speed these sticks run at by default on the 2700x and 3950x. All four sticks run at 3200 with XMP on the 2700x.

So will 64GB @ DDR4-2133 boot and run? And yeah that's the normal fallback speed for DDR4 DIMMs with an XMP profile.

LIVEFRMNYC

Apr 1, 2020
So will 64GB @ DDR4-2133 boot and run? And yeah that's the normal fallback speed for DDR4 DIMMs with an XMP profile.

I did try set three sticks to that on bios, then shutdown to add the last stick, and it still wouldn't post. I can't enter bios at all with all four sticks.

So I'm just hoping a (2 x32) sticks will work. If it does, I'll try add the Samsung B-Die pair with it to see if that works, just to see if one pair of the Corsair was the issue. I'll find out tomorrow(today).

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Hmm

You need to learn a little bit about memory ranks. Let's start here:

It looks like your IMC just doesn't want to play ball with 8 ranks of b-die RAM. If you're buying 32GB DIMMs, you need to find out how many ranks there are per DIMM. The newer ones are dual-rank like your older b-die 16GB DIMMs. So trying to add 8 ranks that way will still probably not work.

LIVEFRMNYC

Apr 1, 2020
Hmm

You need to learn a little bit about memory ranks. Let's start here:

It looks like your IMC just doesn't want to play ball with 8 ranks of b-die RAM. If you're buying 32GB DIMMs, you need to find out how many ranks there are per DIMM. The newer ones are dual-rank like your older b-die 16GB DIMMs. So trying to add 8 ranks that way will still probably not work.

Thanks for the info. Never knew about ranks.

As long as two 32gb sticks of dual ranks will work, I'll be happy.

CPU-Z shows my sticks as dual rank. But rank specs on manufacture sites are not there of any brand I looked up.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
But rank specs on manufacture sites are not there of any brand I looked up.

They won't be. You'll have to use a tool like Thaiphoon Burner (or CPU-z I guess) to tell you. Generally, the older DDR4 sticks @ 16GB will be dual-rank. The latest DDR4 might have single-rank 16GB DIMMs and dual-rank 32GB DIMMs.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
4x16GB is huge load on memory controller, but ZEN2 has made huge strides with memory compat and clocking.

The way to get them running is the following:

1) reset BIOS to defaults
2) DO NOT TOUCH XMP memory profile anything, it's a trap
3) optionally manually set 2133 dram clock if it is not that way

DO note, that if they do not post, i'd look at possibility of 1 DIMM being bad, see If any combo of 3 DIMM work.

If 64GB posts, then you have Your work cut from here. While I doubt that 3200CL16 is Samsung B die mem, it could still be possible to reach 3200Cl16.

How do I know? Manual tuning got me here:
1585813122372.png

Memory voltage is small part of of stability, once You select clocks, board selects timings and those older board simply do not have "experience" with 2DPC dual ranked, cause ZEN1 was bad with memory.

LIVEFRMNYC

Apr 1, 2020
4x16GB is huge load on memory controller, but ZEN2 has made huge strides with memory compat and clocking.

The way to get them running is the following:

1) reset BIOS to defaults
2) DO NOT TOUCH XMP memory profile anything, it's a trap
3) optionally manually set 2133 dram clock if it is not that way

DO note, that if they do not post, i'd look at possibility of 1 DIMM being bad, see If any combo of 3 DIMM work.

If 64GB posts, then you have Your work cut from here. While I doubt that 3200CL16 is Samsung B die mem, it could still be possible to reach 3200Cl16.

How do I know? Manual tuning got me here:
View attachment 19052

Memory voltage is small part of of stability, once You select clocks, board selects timings and those older board simply do not have "experience" with 2DPC dual ranked, cause ZEN1 was bad with memory.

The problem is with the full 64gnb loaded, it won't even go to bios. I tried setting it to three sticks to 2133, then putting the four one in after exit and save, but still no post.

And yea, I even tried with Ryzen Master.

It's possible one stick is bad but just works with the 2700x?

This is the pair I have in now. The other pair has a differ (non- Samsung) manufacturer name.
Memory.JPG

I'm headed to MircoCenter now to see if pick up a (2 x 32) pair.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I just had a thought. Does your motherboard have 2 CPU power plugs, like an 8 and a 4 pin ? if so, are they both plugged in ?

pj-

May 5, 2015
When you try to boot with 4 sticks how long do you let it sit before giving up and turning it off?

While fiddling with memory speeds/timing on new 3950x (2x16GB 3600) build I've had some instances where it takes a couple of minutes before it posts. Not sure exactly what it's doing during that time but it may be worth letting it sit for a while to see what happens.

LIVEFRMNYC

Apr 1, 2020
So I just got a pair of (2x 32gb) sticks. G.Skill Trident Z Neo, and it worked perfectly.

I also tried to put in one 16gb stick from my previous pair, and that also worked, even with XMP at 3200. Now I have 80gb at 3200, but I don't know if it's cool to keep that older stick in. Is it okay to mix ram sticks? Or should I take it out?

When you try to boot with 4 sticks how long do you let it sit before giving up and turning it off?

While fiddling with memory speeds/timing on new 3950x (2x16GB 3600) build I've had some instances where it takes a couple of minutes before it posts. Not sure exactly what it's doing during that time but it may be worth letting it sit for a while to see what happens.

I tried that as well. No dice.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
So I just got a pair of (2x 32gb) sticks. G.Skill Trident Z Neo, and it worked perfectly.

I also tried to put in one 16gb stick from my previous pair, and that also worked, even with XMP at 3200. Now I have 80gb at 3200, but I don't know if it's cool to keep that older stick in. Is it okay to mix ram sticks? Or should I take it out?

I tried that as well. No dice.
Unless you are page swapping, just stick with the matched pair.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Now I have 80gb at 3200, but I don't know if it's cool to keep that older stick in. Is it okay to mix ram sticks? Or should I take it out?

I know you took out the old DIMM so it's no longer an issue, but if you run 3 DIMMs like that, you will probably be in single-channel mode. That cuts bandwidth in half.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
So if you don't fill up the slots of both channels, it will just register as one channel?

No. You can have dual channel with one DIMM per channel, but if you use an odd number of DIMMs, it probably breaks that functionality. It's been awhile since I tested it but I'm pretty sure it still works that way. In order for dual-channel to work, each channel must be populated with the same number of DRAM ranks running at the same speed and timings.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002

Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 C16

"Designed for Intel X99 Systems"

Is that on the QVL for your motherboard?

Also second the request to install Thaiphoon Burner it gives you way more info than cpu z.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

Apr 1, 2020

Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 C16

"Designed for Intel X99 Systems"

Is that on the OVL for your motherboard?

Also second the request to install Thaiphoon Burner it gives you way more info than cpu z.

No it's not. But I didn't know about OVL years ago when I built my desktop with the 2700x. Everything worked with the 2700x, so I thought it would be fine with the 3950x.