Question ram increase question

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
Greetings,

I have a server running on an asus H110M-A/M.2 with ones stick of CRUCIAL CT4G4DFS824A.C8FDD2 (4Gb).
I'm currently running on the system 2 vms, one with 1GB of ram (router) and the other 2GB of ram (streamer) leaving 512MB for the host (another 512MB are allocated to the IGD)
looking at the ram resource meter, I see the ram is fully used, I'm thinking of increasing the ram, initially I thought of adding another 4GB, after that, increase the IGD size to 1GB and the second vm (streamer) to 5GB leaving 1GB to the host.
the host is serving among things as nas and backup to sata hdd.

in the current config I get delayed behavior in the second vm (streamer) occasionally which I don't know what to attribute it to, the lack of ram or the cpu (it is a pentium cpu)
if is the cpu, then I might upgrade to a better one, but if it is ram, should I increase the ram by 4GB or by 8GB?
incase of 8, I'll have 12 GB of ram and I'm not sure how the MB will handle it. I'd assume without any issues as it is very the same imho to what I have now (mem bank1 has 4GB and mem bank 2 has none, with the 8GB addition, mem bank1 will have 8GB and mem bank 2 will have 4GB)

how much ram should I add?

Thanks.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
For a home server, as much as possible IMO. I would put in 2x8GB, for 16 GB, at least for starters. If you need more CPU power than the pentium provides, you could drop in a cheap i5.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Should work fine, as that is a relatively modern board, skylake based.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
8GB RAM should do, provided you don't do anything silly like have a multitude of browser tabs open plus Outlook and a memory hogging "Internet Security" product.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
8GB RAM should do, provided you don't do anything silly like have a multitude of browser tabs open plus Outlook and a memory hogging "Internet Security" product.
I think it is a home server, OP mentioned running VMs in it. Did not say what OS though.