Rainbow Six Vegas

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Originally posted by: MyStupidMouth
I couldn't get over how much the Xbox 360 Version pwns the Pc version.

I couldn't get over how much consoles suck. Go figure.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Rainbow six on pc is an example of the "throw more cpu cycles at it" way of programming.
Its a growing trend .

Programmers once cared how many cpu cycles they were using, how much memory, and would hand optimize parts of code to make it run better.

Now programmers tend to use the "PC hardware just hasn't caught up to us" excuse.
Thats why you can play some games and the graphics and framerate is great, and then you play something like rainbow six on the pc and go wtf ?

I think supreme commander also suffers from this.

You mean I can use my pc with 3d studio max, running havok physics caclulations with 32,000 particles and 2 million polys, but it can't calculate the units in supreme commander fast enough ?, Uhm yeah

Its not your pc, its lazy programmers.

patentman

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2005
Odd, I run it at 1680x1050 with 4xAA and 8x AF and it is fine in single player. Granted, I have 4gb of ram, a highly overclocked 6600 and a 8800gtx

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Originally posted by: patentman
Odd, I run it at 1680x1050 with 4xAA and 8x AF and it is fine in single player. Granted, I have 4gb of ram, a highly overclocked 6600 and a 8800gtx

What kind of fps are you getting please? Minimum and average

VERTIGGO

Apr 29, 2005
I played R6Vegas with my hd2900 at 1920x1200 and I didn't get anything that bad. Of course you can't run highest shadows, because they slash the FPS no matter what. (and they don't look much different)

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Rainbow six on pc is an example of the "throw more cpu cycles at it" way of programming.
Its a growing trend .

Programmers once cared how many cpu cycles they were using, how much memory, and would hand optimize parts of code to make it run better.

Now programmers tend to use the "PC hardware just hasn't caught up to us" excuse.
Thats why you can play some games and the graphics and framerate is great, and then you play something like rainbow six on the pc and go wtf ?

I think supreme commander also suffers from this.

You mean I can use my pc with 3d studio max, running havok physics caclulations with 32,000 particles and 2 million polys, but it can't calculate the units in supreme commander fast enough ?, Uhm yeah

Its not your pc, its lazy programmers.

QFT. I'm all for pushing the envelope of hardware, but some programmers are just plain lazy. The Source engine is a good model for FPS games to follow, IMO.

VERTIGGO

Apr 29, 2005
yes! supreme commander has no excuse. Of course it supports a lot of units, but the graphics are extremely rustic and the CPU shouldn't bottleneck an HD2900 from the second you start building your base (when there's like 10 units).