Rainbow 6 Siege any good?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AgentUnknown

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2003
Connecting to games has been iffy today. Sometimes I get into a match in a few seconds, sometimes it waits. Other than that, loving the game.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
these situation missions are hard, even on the normal difficulty, especially with only 1 person.

cold zero is like impossible to get all 3 starts... rescue hostage in less than 7 minutes, kill the bomb dude with a headshot, and survive with over 50 health.

damn, they just keep getting worse and worse! defend a hostage by yourself with a shotgun and a smg that blows its load in 1 burst. 3 waves of 5 guys. sure, i can use poison gas traps and c4 or something, but i have to detonate it myself. would be a lot better if they had proximity sensors.

now I have to get through a enemy compound that has proximity sensor explosives plastered EVERYWHERE and do it in less than 5 minutes, with 50% health left, and destroy 5 of the explosives. last part is easy since there's billions of them.

i don't know how they expect you to get 3 stars on each of these by yourself....and then the time limits make it even harder.

Last edited:

AgentUnknown

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2003
Only thing I don't like is the operators are chosen so quickly. They only allow 1 per team. Right now I only have ASH and she is always taken. Fun game when it works.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
Yeah, you get use to knowing which operator you want to use ahead of time and having your mouse hovering over where that icon is gonna be while loading. As for Ash... yeah, that's usually who I am on offense myself. Followed by Sledge and Twitch with some Glaz thrown in since he was the last one I unlocked. On defense I'm pretty much always Rook. I like helping everyone by providing much needed armor. ;)

BTW if you only have 1 or 2 operators then speak up in game... from what I've seen people are usually more than happy to switch to another class.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Played my first match. We lost every game. I died without killing anyone every game.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
If you're willing to actually work as a team and realize every single person on the team has an important role to play and every little mistake you make may cost you or someone else their lives then you probably will like it.

Sounds like ARMA3

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
one thing i noticed, at least on single player games where you have to rescue a hostage, once you rescue the hostage, more enemies show up. can someone please explain that? like where did they come from? why aren't they already there?

and the worst part, they are hiding behind cop cars and stuff like that outside! where are all the cops and emergency personnel??? lol they should stop the reinforcements!

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Playing with randoms...

23778AD3F6294E4EB0D0EB8F90EFA3625BEA22C7

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
hmm...not sure where all those people were playing when they said they playd with great people online.

in my experience so far, no one talks let alone works together.

I also think they need to either increase the time to build up defenses or decrease the time it takes to fortify walls, lay traps, etc. Seems way too short considering how long some of the actions take.

I end up dying very quickly in the game too. it seems very difficult to see an enemy. It seems like I get killed with 1 shot all the time, yet I can land multiple hits on an enemy and they are still alive. 1 thing I noticed is that it seems like enemies have damage bonuses a lot of times. I assume they are buying boosters from the shop? Seems kind of crappy to me to have or allow that in a game like this.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
anyone who plays this add me - BlackFox1911

99% of my games no one talks or works together and it sucks. this game needs communication and working together.

JoJoman88

Jul 27, 2006
Still waiting on Amazon to ship my copy. Got it on a daily deal but it's backordered so I think it will be at least one more week until it gets here. I hope start watching some vids on game play so I will not be a total noob at the start.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Interesting game, but I think they went a little over board with how important all the breaching and fortifications are. Feels like a tower defensive game in some ways instead of a shooter.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i've been playing a lot of lone wolf terrorist hunt on normal. i finally completed my first map on hard the other day and I only got like 20 more renown that if I had done it on normal. Wasn't worth it with the extra, stronger, more accurate enemies and the 12 minute time limit.

realistic is impossible in lone wolf. the AI has aimbots and wallhacks!! you can be silent as possible and just peek around a corner and you get your head shot off!

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
ugh...latest patch broke terrorist hunt mode.

you get like 1/3 the renown you got before, and even then it was 1/2 the renown you got from playing the actual multiplayer mode.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Anyone playing? Sales this week so I can get the base for about $20 or the gold for $44, just wondering if I should?

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I am playing every other day. I'm done with Matchmaking though. Nearly every match I add skilled players for Terrorist Hunt. Whenever I want to play, I invite them. 5 Man Terrorist Hunt is boring... 2-3 man terrorist hunt is a blast.

I bought my buddy the game. We have 2 manned each mission on Terrorist Hunt. I am on Starter Edition and he is on the normal game. I had no idea each operator was only 500 renown on the regular version. 12500 Renown is what it costs for me! The new Operators cost 25k for everyone at least.

Feel free to add me: Shadowed_
I don't play Multiplayer.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
My initial reaction to this game when playing with randoms really remains the same, if you're playing alone or even with just 1-2 other friends, the bad matchmaking and unfair games will make it extremely unfun.

However me and 4 friends have been playing 4-5 man squads with sometimes just 1 random and we're having more fun with it, not just because we can all coordinate with mics, but we're winning more games and having more close matches, in fact we're playing ranked now and won our first 6 games in a row.

For those who bought the cheaper cut down pack that requires more grinding, or even for those who just wants lots of renown, one tactic you can use right now is to go into the options and select preferences for terrorist hunt, disable all the maps except the "Presidential Plane" map, disable all game modes except protect the hostage. Now go to terrorist hunt and set terrorist hunt to "lone wolf" which means you play singleplayer offline, and set the difficulty to realistic. Now you can alt tab the game and leaving it running in the background, you will be put on defence on the first round and the realistic bots will storm the plane quite fast and kill you, you're awarded 26 renown for participating in the match and everything in between restarting the match is automatic, which means it will keep playing in a loop slowly earning you renown. You can get something like 5-6k overnight with the 6x slower renown gain of the cheap version of the game. I've basically unlocked most of the operators now.

I've also noticed that a lot of the operators are really bad or next to useless, especially a lot of the defenders, there's really not a huge number of good defenders, there certainly are more attackers with useful special abilities. You want to look out for these operators especially:

- Glaz the sniper is my new personal fave, he has what is essentially a rail gun you can use both as a sniper rifle and in CQB. If you're used to any kind of hit scan or bolt action style one shot weapons then take this. Easily one of the most imba guns.
- Fuze with breach grenades is great for clearing bomb rooms and getting easy kills (don't use him on hostage rooms!)
- Kapkan and his new (no longer rubbish) trip mines are good if you rush from spawn as defenders and lay them on outer perimeter doors, again these are easy kills.
- Jager is super fast and can lay his active defence drones down and then use his speed to get to another part of the map. Best for "roaming" which allows you to get behind attackers and slaughter them.
- Blackbeard is incredibly OP, the shield covers his head so put him in situations where only his head is visible (prone face forward, head sticking over cover or through a window, or leaning around corners) and he's next to invincible.
- Frost these welcome mat traps are some of the best traps in the game, deadly behind windows and behind deployable shields in doorways.

So many of the other operators are next to useless, many of them have abilities which aren't helpful, can be easily countered or are completely redundant. I think one of the biggest things that has turned the tables with our games is the fact we left our games grinding to get renown and bought all the best operators.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
The game had a "starter edition" available some time ago for a limited time which dropped the £40 price to £12 in exchange for making the unlocking of operators and weapons more grindy. It's a questionable trade off under normal circumstances, but there is way to essentially leave the game running in offline bot mode which allows you to grind automatically so the unlocks become kind of irrelevant which to my knowledge still works, and that makes it absolutely worth £12.

Anyhow that starter edition deal is back on, you can get it through steam, if it's like before this is probably a limited time offer so if you're interested this is a great way to buy into the game for cheap. Just make sure you read up on how grind is changed with the starter edition before you buy, so you're aware of what you're getting.

Last edited: