Rainbow 6 Siege any good?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I saw several threads about it but the newest one was from last month about deciding between that or an AC game.

Anyway, anyone playing it? What do you think?

Steam reviews seem very good from what little I have read.

How goes it for someone to play by himself with strangers or do you pretty much need to be in a group of friends to succeed?

Does it have any single player to it?

AgentUnknown

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2003
Pcgamer is giving it a good rating. I haven't played a R6 since vegas. Watch it on twitch.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
It looks cool... but I'm not paying CA$ 80 and I haven't played multiplayer games in a while -- heard it's multiplayer only. Tired of 12 year olds yelling.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Siege is a ton of fun. At first I ignored the game when it released, thinking it would just another "meh" small team-based FPS game in the vein of the R6 Vegas titles. However, about a week afterward I was reading some discussions on other forums where people were talking about how surprisingly good it is, to the point where I was convinced enough to cough up $60 for it.

Totally worth it. No other game this year has gotten my blood pumping as much as this one. The game focuses on tactical, slow-moving, "check every single corner" kind of gameplay, punctuated by bursts of gunfire, explosions, and other "OH SHIT" moments.

The destructible environments are part of what makes it so great. Different materials in the game react differently and realistically to different weapons. I remember the very first match I played, where I died fairly quickly and spent most of the rest of the game watching someone else's player cam. One of my teammates used the butt of his gun to knock out a hole in a flimsy wooden wall, and then stick the barrel of his gun through the hole to monitor the adjacent room for enemies. It kind of blew my mind.

And you gotta love being the Thermite operator, when you're team is approaching a heavily-reinforced room where you know the hostage is being kept, and you set a breach charge on a reinforced wall, waiting for that section of wall to just completely explode and sometimes you have no idea what it will reveal on the other side. So you just find a good position, aim down sights and hope that your approach toward the objective doesn't totally screw you and the rest of your team over. (Of course, a good team will have a drone operator that remotely scans the room first before breaching and entering).

Another operator I like to play is Sledge, whose main ability is literally just a giant breaching hammer. You feel like a badass just tearing down walls and doors. I've been playing with a friend of mine who always plays a shield class, and we have a buddy system where I will smash down a barricade with my hammer, move aside, and then let him go in with a full-body shield to clear the room. It's great.

I think Siege is a mind game, in a very big way. Sometimes I go around the building and just randomly smash walls and set up explosions to confuse and distract the enemy. My friend and I do this thing where we'll set up a remote breach-charge on one side of a room, and then blow it while smashing another door on the other side of the room at the exact same time. Any kind of strategy you can use to flank the enemy or come at them from an unexpected direction is a good one. It's like a high-stakes game of chess.

This post is already longer than I meant it to be... but one more thing I have to point out is the sound design in this game. The audio fidelity is AMAZING. Guns are loud. Different surfaces make different noises when walking on them. Almost every player stance produces some kind of noise, regardless of how quiet you're trying to be, and sound propagates through walls and rooms the way you would expect it to. One of the scariest things in this game is playing as a defender, holed-up in the basement of a building, and just hearing muffled explosions coming from above you or from beside you. You can really tell how far away a footstep is, or a gunshot is, or an explosion is just by hearing how muffled or how distant it is. You REALLY need to play with a good pair of headphones, with the volume cranked up. You can hear *everything*.

Anyway, to answer OP's questions:

The game is very much a multiplayer-focused title. There is no singleplayer campaign. You can play Terrorist Hunt missions by yourself, but that's about it.

Is the game more fun with friends? Absolutely; but then again, what multiplayer game isn't?

Do you have to be with a group of friends to actually succeed? Eh, not really. I'm actually kind of impressed at how good some of the team communication is on pub servers. It's good to stick together with your team, but you can lone-wolf it too and sometimes do fairly well.

If you have a few minutes to spare, this review articulates what makes the game so good better than I can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8AQtI4iTD0

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
It looks cool... but I'm not paying CA$ 80 and I haven't played multiplayer games in a while -- heard it's multiplayer only. Tired of 12 year olds yelling.
Actually, a lot of the comment i read said that the community for this game is amazing. People work together, listen to each other, apologize for accidental kills etc.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
Dankk kinda covered most of it... so I'll just simply say I love it.

Got it from greenmangaming for $40. Worth every penny. If you're a run & gun COD or BF fanboy type then you probably won't like it. If you're willing to actually work as a team and realize every single person on the team has an important role to play and every little mistake you make may cost you or someone else their lives then you probably will like it. It's very rare to see teamwork like this in a multiplayer game. Yeah, I've had a couple rounds with idiots but for the most part people play it as it's meant to be played. And this is playing with total strangers, not friends.

And like Dankk mentioned, when you die - you're dead for the rest of the round. There is no respawning. But that doesn't mean you can't be helpful. You can still watch the security cameras, drone cameras, and body cameras and report back to your teammates where the enemies are.

If you would have asked last weekend we all had 4 free weekend keys to give out... I knew I should have posted them on these forums instead of my clans.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
I played the closed alpha a whole bunch, it was a technical mess at that point and joining a game that wouldn't crash in lobby was a nightmare, I sincerely hope they have that worked out for launch.

It's a really good multiplayer game though, it's got all of your standard multiplayer stuff, different characters, guns, modifications, equipment. But the core of what makes it good is that matches play out somewhat unpredictably and that's down to the various tactics opened up by the vast array of gadgets.

First of all the defenders can choose where to stash the bomb in the map by the team voting what room/floor to put it on, the attackers get the setup period to infiltrate with little bots that can spy and act as cameras, there's lot of things for them to hide under and gives eyes on the rooms for when you're infiltrating.

There's various levels of destruction, there's really basic stuff like wood which anyone can smash with melee, then there's kind of plaster wall stuff which you need explosives or bullets to shoot through, then there's walls which need breach charges to get through, and finally the defenders can set up metal reinforcements which require a special and unique charge to get through. All of this leads to a very dynamic battleground which requires the defenders to use their defensive tools to protect, you can literally take everyone and board up a single room with reinforced walls and camp it out, or you can create choke points and whatnot.

What stops it from being a CS run and gun type game is the tools each class has, there's some fairly unique defensive and offensive tools, one guy just has a massive sledge and can whack holes into concrete walls to throw flashbangs through and shoot through, but only one guy has that. Other people can set jammers that jam the little spy bots, others can set barbed wire and even electrocute it to block certain areas. Breach charges can blow through walls and doors and windows and can act as entry points, but they can also act as misdirection, great for teamwork.

It all leads to a very interesting fights which don't feel the same each time, it has the same feel that BFBC2 had which is that the battleground isn't static and the team that understands that best has a big advantage.

I don't think I'll buy it for it's high launch price but probably when it's 1/2 off I'll pick it up, assuming it still has an active online community.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Just picked it up and played for 2 hours. It is just as good as I had hoped, but man... I really have a lot to learn. Learning the maps is going to be key.

AgentUnknown

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2003
Well you guys convinced me to get it. PCGAMER gave it a great review too. I got my promotional code for $25. Which is a great deal. Lots of people will be getting rid of their codes because the promotion ends on the 30th.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Steam has it for 25% off right now... I'll still pass. Maybe when it hits $30.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
Technically it runs on Steam... but it launches Uplay (Like Farcry). Or you can get it just straight Uplay and make your own Steam shortcut like I do.

I got it from here which is a uplay key. But it's now $5 more than when I got it. I wouldn't bother with the season pass since afaik everyone gets it, they just get it a few days sooner.

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005
Looks pretty good and interesting. A few of my buddies have given it good reviews too. Will be on the lookout for a good deal.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Been watching a bunch of videos on youtube and seems like a blast.

I asked a guy thats in my War Thunder squadron if he was interested in it. I'd like to play with someone I know and I know we work well together in WT. We've talked about playing other games together too. he said he'd check it out.

Beer4Me

Mar 16, 2011
Very fun, and much different from run and gun style of COD. Actually requires teamwork and some minor planning. Now if they would only fix the matchmaking in Terrorist Hunts...

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Match making was brutal yesterday. ~40% of the time I couldn't get connected to a match and would have to close the game and try again.

If you want to skip the long intro videos, change the folder called "Startup" in the game directory to any other name. I hate when games don't let you skip these.

Hopefully Ubisoft fixes the matchmaking and doesn't screw anything else up. I am really loving the game. Probably the deepest shooter that I've played that isn't called Arma.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I bought a code on ebay fro $25. hopefully i don't get scammed. can't wait to try out the game.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
ok, i'm able to play. watched the tutorials and went on to the situations. I successfully complete the 1st situation and exit out to do the next one and it's still locked so I can't do it.

I went and did the 1st situation again and looked around the debrief screen for an option to continue on, but all i see is retry and exit to main menu or settings. exit back to main menu and 2nd situation is still locked.

wtf am I doing wrong?

edit: found someone had the same issue and the response was let the game fully download....its not 100% downloaded yet, but it let me play...guess i'll wait and see....

Last edited: