Raider - Z an upcoming MMO

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
Ive been keeping a eye on this one, and Im surprised there wasnt really any mention of it around here (until your post).

What will make RaiderZ 1000 times better than most MMO out there:

1) "Hunt together or die alone"
Single player questing is possible, yet not rewarding. Thus your never out on your own killing 10 of this for quest NPC, unless you cant find a group to head out with. Alot of MMOs have single player questing focus, then endgame you need to work in groups. In This game, that ll happend alot earlier on. I tend to enjoy games that reward teamwork, MMOs arnt ment to be played as single player games.

2) PVE focus game.
There is Pvp minigames, a pvp zone, duel's between monster hunters to prove self ect.
However the game's main focus is the PVE aspect.

I feel like alot of MMOs nowadays neglect PVE content, its just there so you have something to do to reach max level, so you can pvp. This game will have EPIC boss battles, right from low level to max level raid instances, or greater world bosses.

3) Crafting Focus
In this game, monsters NEVER drop a complete weapon / armory peice.
You slay a dragon? you find a dragon scale or such, you go to a armor smith and get Dragon Scale Mail armor made out of it.
(armor crafting is gonna need more than 1 component, so you ll go looking for something after you slay the dragon, before you can make the armor's)

You ever play a MMO like WoW, kill a boss thats some big slime monster only to have it drop armors that fit your character? Why would a slime carry armors that fit a human, when it itself is this big slimly blob thingy?
The crafting system in this game is gonna be great.

4) Active combat
You have a parry/block on 1 mouse button, and the option to dodge roll.
The game is made in such a way that monsters have unique animations that give away what their next big move will be, and you have to either block/parry it or move out of its way, or you die.

This system rewards people that are skilled. It rewards people that study a monster/boss, and "know" when to move out of the way of the comeing moves.

There is also no tab locking, you have to "aim" skills when you use them.

5) Fluid Skill system
Your fighting some great Dragon and you target its head where it has a horn.
You hack of its horn, it lays on the ground and you can pick it up and use its horn against it.
When you pick up the horn, your skill bars change for a short time where you get skills suited for whatever your fighting.

Each monster will have something differnt, this is bound to be really fun.

This also means, certain monsters will have "weaknesses".
Kinda like in Resident Evil games, where you have to "shoot" at certain spots to really weaken a boss type encounter. Again a rewarding system for people that study/learn from their encounters with monsters.

6) Open Skill tree's, Free build options.
After level10 you can use skill up points, into skill tree's from other classes.
This means if you want to make a mage, that has tank skills, you can play a elemental tanking mage.

This means if the group needs a tank, it doesnt have to be only 1 class type.
Ei. in this case, it could be a mage that was the tank.

1 cleric will choose to pick skills from mage tree, and end up a caster.
1 cleric will choose to pick skills from berzerker tree, use a 2handed club and be a melee dps healer.
1 cleric will choose to pick skills from the defender tree, and end up a healer tank.
1 cleric will choose to be "pure" cleric skilled focus and maybe abit stronger healer than the rest.

The same is true for all the classes, you have the freedom to mix and match and play as you like with each class.

Watch this video to understand between what Im talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8bA3nTllIw&feature=g-all-u
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LaCZBoDg94&feature=related

Last edited:

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
'Hunt together or die alone' - They lost me there... most groups in games are all about loot loot loot - in under 10 minutes. They want the max level, max AA, max gear, etc. person and don't do it to have fun. In Eq2 I don't even understand people asking for group mates when they say need 92/320/300+/500, etc... I have no idea what the numbers mean. Not to mention looking at the way people behave is always more than enough to make me solo anyways.

The crafting sounds fun though... I always craft in games but yet no one ever uses the stuff I craft because any_mob_1 has a chance to drop better items!

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
'Hunt together or die alone' - They lost me there... most groups in games are all about loot loot loot - in under 10 minutes. They want the max level, max AA, max gear, etc. person and don't do it to have fun. In Eq2 I don't even understand people asking for group mates when they say need 92/320/300+/500, etc... I have no idea what the numbers mean. Not to mention looking at the way people behave is always more than enough to make me solo anyways.
Thats about the mentality of those you play with. Elitists play the game for the challenge, not for the enjoyment of the story/enviroment ect. You just need to find a group of people to play with more like yourself, if you dont want to get too serious about a game.

Also loot drops are unique to yourself, so if your a group of 10 people killing a monster, each of you get your own drops. Just the same as if you had soloed the monster/boss.

This rewards group play because you can kill stuff faster than you can solo => more loot.

This means even elitists will be grouping up to do quests together.
This however doesnt mean you cant solo, its just not the "fastest" way to get exp and good drops quick.

PVP in MMOs is the most retarded gaming concept that anyone has ever come up.
Here here! To many games focus intirely on PVP endgame. Where you kill x players to get y amount of some faction points thingy, that you then get armors for at a vender npc.

=> boreing. Been there, done that.

Its refreshing to see a game that ll focus on reeeeeally tough raid dungeons, and great PVE play, and a game focus'ed around group play.

Plus I cant help but feel that those types of games, usually let you down.
The pve in them is boreing, and usually they mess up the pvp aspect, and then you realise the game was/is crap.

*** to this day the best MMO Ive played was FFXI.

Why? because it was challengeing, it was fun and rewarding when you made a group/raid with guild members and took on crazy battles, and came out on the otherside alive.

an exsample would be Dynamis runs, with 30-50 other members all working together.
MMO's are ment to be played with others and not "single" player games (where u pvp, then get loot from a vender).

Last edited:

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
PVP in MMOs is the most retarded gaming concept that anyone has ever come up.

Yah because games that let you get together to play against NPCs are hard to find. Oh wait, they are called SINGLE PLAYER GAMES.

Not having PvP in a MMO is the dumbest concept ever.

Its the most boring thing in the world to run around killing monsters with no goal. And to put all gear crafted makes it even worse. YAH WE KILL THAT BOSS! Lets move on to something less exciting..like killing more stuff for no purpose.

Then you reach max level and be like "oh lets start again, this time are goal is to kill NPC and pretend like its fun again"..

By then everyone is like "wait a second, we could of did all this killing NPCs in serious sam 3 without the time sink! If i only saw the light!"

It just blows my mind how dumb it is to time sink in what is a single player game, even in groups, to just kill NPC over and over with no freakin endgame/purpose at all. All PvE games all come down to the same thing, gear/time. Thats it.

Last edited:

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
@Imaheadcase

You havnt played any decently challengeing games I can tell. The *only* type of game youve ever played with raid content is probably WoW, and thats why you feel like you do.

You realise there is a monster in FFXI that took 10years before people figoured out how to kill it?
It took them like 6hours to do, with good teamwork and high levels of concentration.
(others tried, and almost everyone keeps failing)

THAT is challengeing, and the reward is wearing gear you know very few people will ever have :p
Looking badass in gear that says "I did something most people cant".

PvP is just as absurd, usually because if your decent, you run around harassing people that arnt, so you can earn "points" that then magically turn into new gear at a vendor. Fun? nah, all games have that now.

Then you reach max level and be like "oh lets start again, this time are goal is to kill NPC and pretend like its fun again"..
Eeeeek.... you like the pvp type games, where pve sucks so much, its just about getting max level to pvp?
Youve played to many horrible MMO's.

It just blows my mind how dumb it is to time sink in what is a single player game, even in groups, to just kill NPC over and over with no freakin endgame/purpose at all. All PvE games all come down to the same thing, gear/time. Thats it.
Same argument is true for pvp.
But but... skill matters in pvp! NOT in pve!

You play MMOs where raids are baby mode easy, like WoW, and know nothing of anything else.
Good games *should* be challengeing, even in PVE.

By then everyone is like "wait a second, we could of did all this killing NPCs in serious sam 3 without the time sink! If i only saw the light!"
By then everyone is like "wait a secound, we could have NOT spent forever doing PVE, and just played Battlefield 3 instead! without the time sink of leveling up in a MMORPG! (something I appearntly dont like to do!)"

Same thing... sounds like you dont like playing RPGs, you enjoy the pvp aspect. Why suffer through all the pve content then?
You should be off playing Battlefield 3 or Counterstrike or something instead, where all that matters is how fast you can push buttons and your reaction times ect.

Last edited:

SS Trooper

Jun 18, 2012
I really enjoyed FFXI. I remember when I unlocked the advanced classes and finally made my guy a Dragoon. It was awesome. I would love to take a game like demon souls/dark souls and make a MMO of that play style concept.

Auto-attack MMO's are dead to me, if there's no challenge or skill you can always improve on then a game can't keep my interest. The big reason pvp in MMO's sucks is because of sticky-targeting.

I haven't tried an MMO since Rift, and I'm not sure I maxed out my class before quiting that game. Maybe I'll look into this one...

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
I loved FFXI too. Until I played an MMO that had some good PvP sytems.

Now, I can't get excited at all about killing monsters so that I can kill bigger monsters. Without PvP, direct human-vs.-human competition, there is just no point. I'll pass on this one.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
lol MMO's are to level up for pvp...? That's one of the silliest things I've ever read. Definitly tainted by WoW :rolleyes: MMO's should have a PvP aspect, no doubt, but that shouldn't be close to the biggest feature or main focus.

This game looks pretty decent. I've been looking for something after trying Rift for a few months.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007

Now, I can't get excited at all about killing monsters so that I can kill bigger monsters. Without PvP, direct human-vs.-human competition, there is just no point. I'll pass on this one.

Most players don't even touch PVP. Go on ANY MMORPG and compare the number of players online in PVE servers versus PVP servers. PVE always outnumbers PVP like 5-10 to 1.

Last edited:

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003

There's an MMO called BF3, you might be interested.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I played a lot of FFXI and a ton of WoW. I liked things from both. FFXI (back when I played) was too much of a time sink looking for people to group with. I could spend an entire day in town looking for a group only for it not to happen.

Unfortunately they came up with level sync well past when I quit playing (although I tried with that for a month). WoW has virtually eliminated waiting around for raid / dungeons which is awesome for those who don't have the time to just stand there and find a group.

I also liked the events in FFXI just like I liked the events in WoW.

Overall, FFXI was a more rewarding game as it was much harder than WoW, but unfortunately it was strictly due to the team aspect of the game (not to mention the language barrier). So it is hard to find a right mix. Both have their pros and cons.

Feb 4, 2009
I can't figure out why mmo's don't allow players to log in as randon (but at least interesting) monsters. It would make the AI seem better and simply keep it random so nobody can score cool loot by playing the system.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
What will make RaiderZ 1000 times better than most MMO out there:

first 2 points sounds like what I remember from Guild wars. Was ok but boring as crap having to play with NPC team members as the game would not allow you anywhere without help of some kind.

3rd is nice to help with imersion in a game, but games that had that where phased out as people complained too much about grinding.

4th, sounds nice, but in practice it fails for too many people. Either the "boss" needs to have a long wind up (boring) or you need to be close to the servers so a 300ms ping does not get you killed before you can block. No new MMO i can see that will have enough participants to have globally located servers to address this, so it will end up with only clients close to server locations. basically stuff the rest of the world and probably 1/2 of your own country as well as the game becomes unplayable.

That is ignoring consoles of course, aiming with those things just have people raging so limiting the potential market. I suspect the next big hit MMO will be cross platform personally.

5) possibly nice, but betting it will be nerfed for the masses as being "too hard" to work out or worse, "I have the horn of xxx, why does it not work against yyy when yyy is weak againt xxx?". Too much like D&D for most people that just want to kill things, but then those generally make up the bulk of the audience.

6) so some of the Advanced D&D style skill leveling? nice but going to be hard to implement as people will then want the three way skill option at level 30 or something.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011

Its the most boring thing in the world to run around killing monsters with no goal.

and playing in a PvP game and spending all the time fixing items damaged when ganked or spending all your time walking back to your body in punishment for dieing.

That is soooooo much more/better fun than walking around killing NPC's.... NOT.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
I can't figure out why mmo's don't allow players to log in as randon (but at least interesting) monsters. It would make the AI seem better and simply keep it random so nobody can score cool loot by playing the system.

that would be a cooler feature in a lot of ways. Have to have some auto attacks in it so the monster player can not just stand still and let people kill it, and also have to area bound it so it can not walk into town and kill low level players. But the potential of a pack forming up would be fun.

Part of why rift looked interesting was the area control approach, but saying that, I did not get that last important step to actual bother joining it.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
1) "Hunt together or die alone"
Single player questing is possible, yet not rewarding. Thus your never out on your own killing 10 of this for quest NPC, unless you cant find a group to head out with. Alot of MMOs have single player questing focus, then endgame you need to work in groups. In This game, that ll happend alot earlier on. I tend to enjoy games that reward teamwork, MMOs arnt ment to be played as single player games.

I find this perspective interesting. First, needing to be in a group isn't a new idea; it was a primary mechanic of all the early MUDs and MMORPGs, a la Everquest, DAoC, etc. The reason it faded was that WoW expanded the market to tons more casual players, and the original fans of the genre got older and had kids, and were constantly getting interrupted when trying to do group activities. I remember joking many times in DAoC about how it took an hour to get a group together.

And, ultimately, what's wrong with more single player content in an MMO? An MMO is supposed to simulate a fantasy world. We don't group up with other people all the time in the real world. Why does it seem so necessary in the simulated world? I think there should be a nice balance of goals that require teamwork along with goals that can be pursued individually.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Yah because games that let you get together to play against NPCs are hard to find. Oh wait, they are called SINGLE PLAYER GAMES.

Its the most boring thing in the world to run around killing monsters with no goal. And to put all gear crafted makes it even worse. YAH WE KILL THAT BOSS! Lets move on to something less exciting..like killing more stuff for no purpose.

so you run around killing other players with no goal?

if you want to run around killing other players, why not play a skill based fps game or something?

and PVE is is just whoever has the better gear/more players wins all the time

i play mmos to play with other people and cooperate together, not go ganking people 20 levels below me.

PVP servers are ruined for me. I played wow a lng time ago and some friends wanted to play on a pvp server. I agreed and while i was trying to level up to a point where I could actually do pvp successfully, i was constantly ganked by a group of 4 or 5 members of the opposite faction who were at least 10 levels higher than me. they then proceeded to sit on my body/camp the area i was questing and kill me every time i tried to resurrect. it was retarded. i don't even see how they had any fun because they just basically 1 shot killed me every time. i think they were just doing it to be assholes.

Last edited:

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
I agreed and while i was trying to level up to a point where I could actually do pvp successfully, i was constantly ganked by a group of 4 or 5 members of the opposite faction who were at least 10 levels higher than me. they then proceeded to sit on my body/camp the area i was questing and kill me every time i tried to resurrect. it was retarded. i don't even see how they had any fun because they just basically 1 shot killed me every time. i think they were just doing it to be assholes.

Yeah, that part of the mmo world is the biggest pain in the ass. What they could do is get a mechanism by which players of the opposing faction cannot attack you when they are more than 5 levels above you. For eg. if you are level 10, nobody above level 15 can even target you. Will be a simple enough mechanism to implement and i don't know why it hasn't been done yet.
I don't know how many times i have Alt+F4'd out of WOW thanks to these kids corpse-ganking and low-level hunting.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
and playing in a PvP game and spending all the time fixing items damaged when ganked or spending all your time walking back to your body in punishment for dieing.

That is soooooo much more/better fun than walking around killing NPC's.... NOT.

Never played a pvp game like that, perhaps you never played a good pvp game before. Maybe they did that in wow or something. Don't ever compare a mmo with wow, throw that thing in the trash and free think about how mmo used to be.

Its sad that no one remembers good pvp games anymore, they think its just all about ganking and killing players non stop. It skips a generation i guess.

Oh well, maybe wow made people forget.

Pvp > pve always has been in MMO. That is they have MMO for.

Last edited:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Never played a pvp game like that, perhaps you never played a good pvp game before. Maybe they did that in wow or something. Don't ever compare a mmo with wow, throw that thing in the trash and free think about how mmo used to be.

Its sad that no one remembers good pvp games anymore, they think its just all about ganking and killing players non stop. It skips a generation i guess.

Oh well, maybe wow made people forget.

Pvp > pve always has been in MMO. That is they have MMO for.

fps is for pvp

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
The thing with single player games that offer PVE experiance is just that.... their single player.

Some people enjoy working together for a common goal, and achiveing it that way.
A MMORPG does that, gives them that.

The same way, a first person shooter game like Quake isnt the same, when you fight bots.
A.I can only be so fun to play with.

I truely believe there can be room for both in a MMORPG,
>> however Ive seen far to many PVP focused MMORGPs fall flat of my expectations of them. <<

Which is why its refreshing to see one, that has more PVE focus than normal, simply because there are FAR too few of them these days.

------ Also too many Trolls derailing this thread.
This thread is supposed to be about RaiderZ, a upcomeing free 2 play MMORPG, thats alot like MonsterHunter in some ways.

Last edited: