Question RAID 1 ext usb

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
That's about as cheap as they come for price. Yottamaster also makes some enclosures that will mirror. This sort of setup is a DAS/Raid enclosure. The cheapest way though might be 2 enclosures and do raid in the PC with software. Two 3.5 enclosures might be $30/ea.

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
I have a bunch of single usb.. what software can just duplicate as I write to it.. I used to just backup to one and do a drive clone.. want to save some time..

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Well, if you use Linux you can use rsync + cron job to fire it every X minutes / hours

for windows you could probably just use storage spaces built into the OS.

Reactions: rsutoratosu

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
If these are the ONLY two copies of the data, personally I would prefer to have one be offline storage, that syncs when you put it online to do so. This removes potential risks from power surges, malware, the host NAS/enclosure fault affecting both volumes, and may prolong lifespan from not powering the 2nd drive as much.

If you need realtime access where productivity/profit suffers from access downtime, then i'd do both, an online mirror and an offline backup. Just suggesting that for lowest cost, your best bet may just be using two plain old USB external HDDs, leaving one offline and sync'ing with the other, after enough data has changed to make it worthwhile on that interval.

In windows, apps like RealtimeSync + FreeFileSync (freeware) can do that.

Last edited: