Ragnarok Online2 finally released! On Steam! And free!

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
If for no other reason than Ragnarok Online was such a big deal to me in like... 8th grade? Damn, like 10 years ago lol.

I downloaded and gave it a little try over the weekend, it's pretty much a run of the mill F2P mmo but still has some charm just getting to see porings/rockers/chonchons/hornets and the like all over again. It has a few decent ideas, I actually really like the little "achievement"/challenge grid they have. Also crafters can 'vend' their services by putting up a bazaar and offering to craft with your mats for a small fee; I'm guessing they might also get XP out of it. Nice implementation. You can also take your world map and use it as a transparent overlay (think D2 map) which is nifty.

I miss having the Blacksmith/Alchemist as true combat classes, but I like that they're also going in the direction of making crafting feel like more of it's own job (a la FFXIV) rather than just a sub-skill of a fighter (like most games). I hope more games do that.

I'll probably screw around on it for a while, didn't even get to make it to Prontera. I'm interested in at least seeing the Auction House and Morocc hopefully.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Yeah I was big into RO back in the day, got to I think 94 on my knight but never really maxed out. I did really like the crafting in the game, I remember going around and gathering parts then paying blacksmiths to try to make elemental swords for me. Sitting there waiting to see if a elemental claymore would succeed was torture at the time...

I downloaded RO2 when I saw it but I haven't tried it yet, but I do want to give it a go just for the nostalgia factor.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I was interested in this.... 10 years ago.

might rip the soundtrack but that's all I care for.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I saw someone mention the game on YouTube, and the screenshots they showed looked interesting. It has sort of an old school 3D Final Fantasy feel. I think I tried the original Ragnarok Online way back when, but I never tried the sequel. I might give this a try. Can anyone tell me how intrusive the F2P aspect of it is? How bad is the Pay to Win factor?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
ROFL..

i miss my lvl99 high priestess with her sohee that followed her arround everywhere.

Id get back into this game, however i remember how much of a grind feast it was.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
tried it out a little bit. Doesn't really feel like RO at all to be quite honest, more like a wow clone with an anime look to it. Music is still pretty decent but this is honestly something that would've looked nice about 8 years ago. But there's also a ton of people in the low level zones, so the game is fairly alive at least.

Didn't make it into prontera but I'm not sure how interested this will keep me.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
tried it out a little bit. Doesn't really feel like RO at all to be quite honest, more like a wow clone with an anime look to it.

Do you think that would make it interesting enough for an old WoW player that groans at the thought of loading up WoW? :p

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Do you think that would make it interesting enough for an old WoW player that groans at the thought of loading up WoW? :p

Hard to say. I'm also an old wow player that quit a long time ago and will never go back to a subscription based mmorpg.

RO2's interface and gameplay is extremely similar to wow. You'll be able to pick it up quickly but if you're not a big anime person the charm will wear off very quickly. The graphics look unpolished and fairly low res, but the music is a big plus for me. Combat is decent paced I suppose, its a bit faster than wow's for sure but I am not fighting any big mobs so far.

This is from a 30 minute session. I have no idea what endgame or anything is beyond the newbie zone. If you've played RO before the skilltree seem to emulate the original.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Just watched some beta gameplay, man the poring sounds sure bring back fond memories. I'm not too convinced I want to play a WoW clone though. :\

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Man I remember RO. Played with some friends when the game first opened, actually got the name Sasuke back when I watched that anime. Was also one of the first to find three Skeleton Soldier Cards, slotting it into a triple crit Jur as a thief/sin. Good times. :)

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
So my girlfriend tried it out and she hates it because the graphics are "too realistic" compared to the original. She prefers the chibi style. This is good news for me because thank God I won't have to play it with her.

zebrax2

Nov 18, 2007
Played this a lot 10 years ago. Started with the beta release in my country and played up to until late into episode 5. I was a 99 blacksmith and my brother was a 99 priest. I was so addicted to this i even started setting up my own local private server just to test builds.

PVP was fun and War of Emperium are epic. Things started going down hill for me personally when the Golden Thief Bug and Ghosting Cards started appearing. It also didn't help that Monks started owning pretty much all of the bosses/sub bosses when they were released.

Looking at videos RO2 i feel like essence of RO isn't really in there.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004

WoW is the most successfull MMORPG out there, much as every company says "we don't want to make the next WoW" they all do .. with small changes.

Sorry there will be nothing new for awhile.

with all that said, you can still have fun in these games, that is if you go in wanting to have fun and can let go of "comparing". I have yet to see an ASIAN made F2P MMOPRG that isn't a grind after about 10-20 levels.. EVER... this is the one point I can not get past.

But FREE IS FREE, unless you have bandwidth caps, grab it and take a look, in forums you will just see somebody (me and everybody else) mention wow ... or in the case of a game in s series say how its not as good as the original.

one good thing, there are so many f2P, its hard not to find one "OK" one..

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I don't know what the "RO" feel is considering it was just a mediocre top down point and click lol

I enjoyed RO for the time/for not knowing better, but it is in no way a "good" game. There's really very little about it worth recapturing.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
The things I liked about RO was that it felt really free form. You could customize your character a lot more than I feel like you can do in games now, there were a few different knight "builds" people would do based just on the stats. I remember everyone being obsessed with 2HQ AGI knights but I went and kind of made a hybrid knight with good dex str and decent agi. When they first experimented with pvp on that one island found my build destroyed agi knights because none of them had any dex and I hit a lot harder than them. Stuff like that was what made me like the game, MMO's today feel so guided whereas in RO we would try all this random stuff just to see what we could pull off.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I don't know what the "RO" feel is considering it was just a mediocre top down point and click lol

I enjoyed RO for the time/for not knowing better, but it is in no way a "good" game. There's really very little about it worth recapturing.

The game felt cutsey yet it was deep enough to lure in hardcore players. Builds matter from level 1, where you determine how your build was going to be. Pumping even 1 extra stat into the wrong place meant your build is sorta screwed now.

I didn't play long enough to judge what RO2's build scheme is like but it feels like wow for starters, which takes away from the "RO feel".

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
The things I liked about RO was that it felt really free form. You could customize your character a lot more than I feel like you can do in games now, there were a few different knight "builds" people would do based just on the stats. I remember everyone being obsessed with 2HQ AGI knights but I went and kind of made a hybrid knight with good dex str and decent agi. When they first experimented with pvp on that one island found my build destroyed agi knights because none of them had any dex and I hit a lot harder than them. Stuff like that was what made me like the game, MMO's today feel so guided whereas in RO we would try all this random stuff just to see what we could pull off.

the problem tho was the highest build was always the same.

I also had a high AGI knight who could solo bosses.
However no class was able to touch my (ME)high priestess... nothing...

The builds were out there, however they all fell short after a while unless u struggled the first part to get that perfect end build.

Lavuuu

May 9, 2013
I registered on this site.. just because of this thread..
I can't seem to download it properly nor see the official site :(

Lavuuu

May 9, 2013
Get Steam and download from there.
I get it now. I'm on SEA but the Playpark version is not available for me too.
I'm thinking of accessing using VPN /ip changer.. but.. does IP changers work on STEAM? :$