RadioShack 15-1890 HDTV Antenna on Sale (50% off)

DanielNTX

Jun 6, 2001
I was browsing the RadioShack web site and this was on sale and I went and picked one up during lunch, I think it's a good deal for $24.99:

From RadioShack's Coupon Page:
High-Performance Digital TV Antenna - Ideal for receiving high-definition broadcasts. Includes 3-foot coax cable with gold-plated F connectors.
Save 50% off Regular Price with Coupon!

Catalog Number:15-1890
Regular Price:49.99 - With Coupon: 24.99
Click here then print coupon.

Click Here for details of this product from our catalog.

Coupon Redeemable: 11/7/2002 - 11/30/2002

Here's an excerpt from ProjectExpert.com's review of antennas:
HEAVY METAL, PART II
Comparisons of indoor antennas for VHF-UHF DTV reception

In the amplified group, the Radio Shack 15-1862 swept the board, locking up each of the four stations (one with moderate multipath) and receiving all just fine. The only other antenna to come close was the RS 15-1890 (surprise!) using the internal helix antenna and switching the amplifier on. While this antenna didn't show much gain in the previous four tables, it did overcome moderate multipath to pick up a very weak signal from PBS affiliate WHYY-55.

The "trick" antennas that save space will yield mixed results for DTV reception. Terk's TV55 did okay on the lower UHF DTV channels (26 and 42), but was out-performed by the much smaller Radio Shack 15-1890 compact antenna from channel 42 on up. Even the rather pedestrian-looking Radio Shack 15-1862 cranked out some serious DTV signals on all channels, and it doesn't take up much room either.

QTPie

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2001
Please confirm that I can use it as a regular antenna for my All-In-Wonder video card (without CATV). Thanks

Wei2Cool

Nov 30, 2000
Wow, I can't believe this compact antenna beats my huge TV-55 indoor/outdoor almost full range. Really need a good DTV antenna for my WinTV-D card (anybody still remember the $50 deal?).

Thanks for the great deal!

puppyfriend

Dec 30, 2001
I saw this in RS this weekend and wondered if it was any good. Based on that review site you posted, the answer is no. It's not that good. The one they rave about is the 1862. The one that's on sale is the 1890. That's probably why it's on sale.

It's no surprise the the Terks didn't fair well. If you check out the audio/visual websites, the Terks are universally hated. They look good, but get out performed by a paper clip.

David

Fiveohhh

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Really need a good DTV antenna for my WinTV-D card (anybody still remember the $50 deal?).

I just use my regular antenna for my d-tv card. My cards still kickin and pulling in signals, only 4 dtv stations here though:p

pinky811

Feb 19, 2000
sorry, i am completely ignorant about TV antennas. My TV is not digital and it's like 13 years old. Can I still use this antenna? would I get good reception for analog signals using this antenna? Thanks.

DanielNTX

Jun 6, 2001
Yes, you can use this as a regular antenna. If you look at the digital reception charts it's not too bad. Antennas are funny creatures, some models work well for some and others not so much. Try it out and see how you like it. If not just return it.

Oct 31, 2002
I've gone through tons of TV antennas in the past. Radioshacks did well, especially the one with the hollow circle loop and anplifier with rabbit ears. It's either that one or the RCA rabbit ears with solid round UHF antenna (with amplifier). It can be found at walmart.

I tried the Terk25 or Terk5 and I recieved alot of broadcasts from the colder northern regions. Lots of snow. :D

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: pinky811
sorry, i am completely ignorant about TV antennas. My TV is not digital and it's like 13 years old. Can I still use this antenna? would I get good reception for analog signals using this antenna? Thanks.

I want to know this too...I think Ill buy one for my grandparents.

Darthkim

Dec 11, 1999
I tested the UNit for off the air reception of HDTV and it fared decent.
I live in middle of a 3 unit apartment unit with the signal coming from the opposite side.

I was able to get some of the DTV channels, except fox and wb.

I ended up getting the Silver Sensor by Zenith for 39.99 at CC.

I only tested this unit for DTV reception. So YMMV

Dug

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2000
So if you have an 'HDTV ready' TV, you can watch broadcasts in true HDTV? Or do you still need that expensive box?

DanielNTX

Jun 6, 2001
You still need an OTA HDTV Tuner, unless the HDTV Tuner is integrated into the unit, like on the new Mitsubishi sets.

The_Dude8

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2000
thanks, picked up one today. it works perfectly with analog tv. i got good reception using the antena with my 8 years old Sony tv. most of the channel is pretty clear, except fox, kind of grainy.

QTPie

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2001
The coupon didn't show up at all in the coupon )link. I need the coupon for 15-1890 HDTV Antenna (the last one). Would anyone pls help? Thanks!

Without the coupon, it costs $50 (I already went to the store to check the price

QTPie

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2001
Thank you very much, DanielNTX. Already printed the coupon but I still couldn't get it, :eek: wierd.

DanielNTX

Jun 6, 2001
Huh, that's weird. Try a different RadioShack. I think you should tell them to go to the web site and just follow the instructions on the coupon itself.

studrew

Aug 23, 2000
Picked one up yesterday. I live about 10 miles from the transmitter farm and my 15-year-old rabbits ears had difficulty getting all the DTV stations. Replaced it with the 15-1890 and everything came in crystal clear. On top of that, my wife likes the look of it too.

Oct 31, 2002
15-1838,15-1862 are far better antennas for regular tv. They might even be better at HDTV too.
For the price, the 15-1838 was my favorite.