Radiation may not be as harmful as previously believed by the masses

gururu2

Oct 14, 2007
i can see us exaggerating the catastrophe on account of cold-war grudges, but the damage to cellular tissue by radiation (alpha, beta, gamma) is pretty well documented.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
there was a bbc horizon documentary called nuclear nightmares on this a while back.

I watched it a while ago, it was a good programme.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Wow, pretty interesting read. Those Hiroshima and Nagasaki figures are really surprising. And Wikipedia still says over 100k? Weird.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: clamum
Wow, pretty interesting read. Those Hiroshima and Nagasaki figures are really surprising. And Wikipedia still says over 100k? Weird.

Wikipedia contains false information? This is madness!

Interesting article. I'm very surprised at those figures. I doubt they'll do anything to quell the wide-spread fear of nuclear power plants though. Which is too bad.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: paulxcook

Interesting article. I'm very surprised at those figures. I doubt they'll do anything to quell the wide-spread fear of nuclear power plants though. Which is too bad.
Especially the notion that meltdown = atomic fireball. Pop culture doesn't help any. Hell, Simcity 4's nuclear power plants explode violently when they have a "meltdown." Still, it's fun to play with that little feature. :D

Or the stupid scare over food irradiation. Popular response: "OMG it'll make our food radioactive!!!!"
No, it won't. You're just responding to the term "irradiation" with a healthy sense of ignorance. Step outside. Congratulations, you're now being irradiated with stuff that's been proven to cause cancer - ultraviolet radiation.

Edumacation is learning our childrens good things.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Originally posted by: paulxcook

Especially the notion that meltdown = atomic fireball. Pop culture doesn't help any. Hell, Simcity 4's nuclear power plants explode violently when they have a "meltdown." Still, it's fun to play with that little feature. :D

Or the stupid scare over food irradiation. Popular response: "OMG it'll make our food radioactive!!!!"
No, it won't. You're just responding to the term "irradiation" with a healthy sense of ignorance. Step outside. Congratulations, you're now being irradiated with stuff that's been proven to cause cancer - ultraviolet radiation.

Edumacation is learning our childrens good things.

Your post is really ironic. You're criticizing other people for being uneducated, but you don't understand the difference between gamma rays and UV, and think you're smart because you know that "irradiation" is a term that applies to all EM radiation.