Radeon X1950Pro AGP does not insert fully?

Grunt76

Feb 28, 2008
First, I did run a search to try and see if such an issue had ever been documented. It appears not, but please forgive me if that is not right.

I am replacing my Radeon AIW 9600XT in my MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum for the X1950Pro.

Upon trying to insert the new card, it does not seem to fit into the AGP slot as well as the 9600. It seems to lack a few millimeters of insertion. System startup results in weird BEEEEPS and my LED status indicator is at "Testing VGA BIOS". Stops right there.

My CPU is the opteron 185 but other than that I don't have much hardware installed, and as per specs, my Thermaltake TWV 480 should suffice to the task... But I could find no confirmation of that anywhere on the web. I of course plugged 2 HDD power connectors to my vid card, although from 2 different wires. Is that good, bad, or neither?

I don't really want to change my PSU just in case it's not strong enough to even BOOT the machine, which I seriously doubt, and I don't want to RMA a card that most likely works OK.

Suggestions?? How deep does an AGP card have to be inserted? Does anyone of you have non-fully inserted cards which work?

HEEEELP!!!

Thanks!!

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
some cards will always show some of the PCB connectors and seem to not go all the way in. If your card is going in far enough to mate with the mounting in front and the AGP lock fits into place, then I would suspect it is in far enough.

Make sure you are clearing all the baord capacitor and other components and that your ram locks are out of the way. Your X1950 might be too long and hitting a component that your shorter 9600xt did not contact. Check to make sure a vid card component is not hitting a motherboard component.