Info Radeon VII owners/buyers thread

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Hello! AMD has already announced the Radeon VII graphics card, as discussed elsewhere. Radeon VII represents the first major release of a high-end consumer graphics card from AMD since 2017. Since only ~20k units are expected in the first run of these cards (and perhaps throughout the entire production run of Radeon VII), it may be difficult for prospective buyers to acquire a Radeon VII. This thread serves the following purposes:

• Discussion of availability/pricing of Radeon VII graphics cards
  • Discussion of ownership issues (possible defects, RMA info, driver troubleshooting)
  • Discussion of performance enhancement/overclocking
Due to the forum rules and other considerations, I do request that this thread not play host to the following:
  • Comparison of stock Radeon VII cards to nVidia cards (RTX 2080, etc)
  • Discussion of Navi, which deserves its own thread at some point
Obviously some rational leeway is sensible here, such as those who want to know how much they would have to OC their Radeon VII to equal the performance of such-and-such other graphics card or honest questions about whether it's really worth it to buy a Radeon VII with Navi perhaps 9-12 months away.

Availability

Cards are available from amd.com again. Be advised, that's with the 1-year warranty. Stock may not last for long.

Reviews

Will add more reviews as they become available. Here is one roundup that covers most major sites:

https://videocardz.com/79943/amd-radeon-vii-review-roundup

Other reviews not covered by videocardz:

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/amd-radeon-vii

https://gizmodo.com/amds-radeon-vii-is-a-solid-gaming-card-but-thats-just-1832412200

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-radeon-vii-review-radeon-7-benchmarks

Update

As of 2/5/2019, still no pre-orders! Review samples are out, but the NDA is still in effect and there's nowhere to order one of these cards.

As of 2/7/2019 4:25 AM EST, still no Radeon VII. NDA still seems to be in effect. No reviews posted that I can tell. Even Overclockers UK which confirmed that it received some units hasn't put the card up on their page, and they are hours ahead of the United States. So. Meh!

As of 2/7/2019 9:30 AM, the cards are available. Amazon had no allocation. Newegg is sold out. Amd.com is still selling reference cards. From the main AMD page, roll over the "graphics" tab and you will find an order link. These cards may not last long. Reviews are still coming up.

2/11/2019: cards are available at https://shop.amd.com/store?Action=D...SiteID=amd&id=ThreePgCheckoutShoppingCartPage . Probably limited supply.

3/1/2019: Cards are available from amd.com again. Be advised, that's with the 1-year warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Justinbaileyman

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I won't be in the market for one, even though a 7nm Vega would be nice to have. I'll likely be holding onto the hungry 64 until Navi, even if it gets pushed off. The aluminum triple fan design is rather nice to look at, however $700 plus a low stock markup just isn't doable for me right now though.

I don't see there being much difference in way of driver support for VII, compared to current Vega offerings, but we just never know with AMD. There's still a few things with the current drivers that needs to be addressed and I'm sure there will be some that trickle into drivers for VII, as per usual.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Rest assured that the driver situation will be much better for Radeon VII than Vega FE. Or at least it'd better be!

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Five days later aaaaand still no pre-orders. I'm a little surprised. The last time I wanted to get something at launch (R7 1800x), I had a pre-order in about ten days before launch, if not further out. Volumes were different but still, you would think that with a low-volume, high-price part like Radeon VII that AMD would want to sell as many through pre-order as possible.

Reactions: Justinbaileyman

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Not interested in seeing the reviews ahead of buying one eh? Brave... I'll give you that. Why not scoop up a V64 before Navi for half the price if you're only worried about drivers?

I don't think stock is going to be that much a problem this time around. Mining is basically dead, as it should be and should stay.

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
I'm waiting on reviews. If they aren't much better than V64, then there's my goto......V64.
CEO Lisa Su danced around the questions about RVII (7) on the story located on Anandtechs front page.. My guess is that it won't be much better than V64 despite the limited benchmarks that AMD used when they announced it. Likely just optimized drivers for it. Time will tell.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Not interested in seeing the reviews ahead of buying one eh? Brave... I'll give you that. Why not scoop up a V64 before Navi for half the price if you're only worried about drivers?

I don't think stock is going to be that much a problem this time around. Mining is basically dead, as it should be and should stay.

I already have a Vega FE. I like Vega enough that if someone were to have sold me a 12nm refresh with some bugfixes, I would have considered it. Instead they are selling me a wacky 7nm refresh with pro features that I will probably never use (and many of which are disabled). Navi is probably going to be a Polaris replacement.

So it's either sit on my Vega FE for awhile longer (meh) or try to vote with my wallet and get the next high-end AMD consumer card. I'm leaning heavily towards the latter. Unless Navi16 or Navi30 or whatever it is that finally comes out this year proves to be an amazing product, I doubt AMD will produce anything faster than Radeon VII for awhile.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I am looking forward to the release, but I can't really justify buying it or any other current card when I have a 1080Ti that now works with freesync. I will have to wait for the next high end card that comes along, the one that has better performance at a decent price. Again, hopefully this is a Navi, but I may have to wait longer for Arcturus or the next RTX.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I dont blame you one bit, I want a Vega VII card too. Pretty sure the whole 16gb of HBM2 alone is enough to persuade people to upgrade.
Only reason I dont have a Vega 64 is because everyone badgered me to wait it out till this refresh.
Believe me when I tell you that waiting all this time was hard as a "son of a gun".
Its less then 48 hours and still no preorders..??
Hoping this wont be a paper launch..!!

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I dont blame you one bit, I want a Vega VII card too. Pretty sure the whole 16gb of HBM2 alone is enough to persuade people to upgrade.
Only reason I dont have a Vega 64 is because everyone badgered me to wait it out till this refresh.
Believe me when I tell you that waiting all this time was hard as a "son of a gun".
Its less then 48 hours and still no preorders..??
Hoping this wont be a paper launch..!!

Hope you get one. That's a long time to wait. Hell even if you got RX Vega64 @ launch, you still had to wait over two years for this release. Talk about a let-down for fans of high-end AMD dGPUs.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Yeah thanks I really hope to get one too. I had been using rx 480 then GTX 1060 and now a rx 590 which so far actually has been pretty great.
Even though I only got the rx 590 for the free 3 games and to hold me over till Vega VII gets released on Thursday or Wed at midnight.
Kinda funny but, I am usually short on funds every time upgrade time rolls around but not time.
I am all set and ready for check out for once :)
Hoping Newegg doesnt pull a out of stock at launch time though cause I remember preordering my 1800x but not being able to get a mobo because of this very reason..
I have been saving up for the Vega VII and x570 Mobo and what ever top core AMD cpu they decide to release.
Should be an exciting year for us AMD buyers.

meson2000

Jul 18, 2001
Anyone know specificially what time on Feb 7th these cards will go on sale? I want to grab one before the stock gets cleared out and they put them on ebay for 50% more than msrp.... Thanks!

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
The clocks arent really that impressive on the VII are they? I mean Vega liquid already does 1750. I bought the last two high end AMD cards on release, but this things is probably only 15% faster than 64 liquid. Hard sell.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Good luck to anyone getting a card. Wow, looks like the rumors are true and it's limited, but I thought no partners cards coming out ?

• 30+ Sapphire
  • 20+ MSI
  • 10+ Gigabyte
  • 10+ Powercolor
  • 6 Asus

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-vii-graphics-card-allocation-report-paper-launch/

well, those are still FE/generic cards, as usual, but distributed by their typical partners. Stock cards are always released by their partners. The claim that there would be no "AIB" cards--so no custom-tuned with custom heatsink and fan option cards from the various partners is probably still true.

Heclone

Dec 7, 2018
"While we don't report on production numbers externally, we will have products available via AIB partners and AMD.com at launch of Feb. 7, and we expect Radeon VII supply to meet demand from gamers."

Well, they'll - technically - have products available at launch (hum). And maybe they really aren't expecting that more than a few hundreds guys will want to grab a R VII ahah !

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It's 2/7/2019, 4:06 AM EST, and no Radeon VII anywhere. Even Overclockers UK which has 76 units in stock hasn't put them up on their store page yet. When is the NDA lifting? Anyone know? Should be sometime today.

Last edited: