Radeon R9 270X blank screen on any OS only after installing drivers?

thewhitewox

Jan 31, 2016
I had to go back to my old computer and after about 6 months of it not being powered on, I reinstalled Windows 7.

After I got it up and running, I installed the video drivers. After restarting I'd get past the BIOS screen and than nothing happens. It will just remain a black screen.

My monitor doesn't turn off so it is outputting something. I tried installing Ubuntu, but after it installs it reboots and gets to the GRUB menu, and than freezes on the Ubuntu boot screen.

I managed to get the video to work using the integrated GPU and it booted up. I did something that I forgot that made Ubuntu get past the boot screen, but than just show a white screen. I got Ubuntu to work by editing the grub boot options and adding radeon.modeset=0.

I switched back to Windows 7 due to wanting to game and using the integrated GPU caused video glitches in video games. But can't install any video drivers

thewhitewox

Jan 31, 2016
are you getting sound?

like a start up sound?

Yes, I sometimes can get into the login screen too, by chance
If I do get to the login screen, it glitches with lines showing on refresh and all the elements on the page besides the password box are invisible, unless I move my mouse over them
If I try logging in, it will log in and than crash and become unresponsive on a black screen again, sometimes it changes colors, like white or green
I've tried multiple versions of the amd radeon drivers, 14.12, 15.11, 16.1
None of them work
I use DDU inbetween installs
Safe mode doesn't work, but that might be an unrelated issue because it doesn't work on my integrated gpu either, it shows the login screen and restarts after 5 seconds

Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
What is exactly your model by the way?

I'd try flashing it to a different/newer/stock bios, if available first.

Last edited:

thewhitewox

Jan 31, 2016

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
I've updated my BIOS to the latest version, and also flashed the vBIOS for my GPU, it was already the latest version, but I was hoping it might fix it somehow

Sorry, here's a screenshot from speccy
https://i.imgur.com/4CtGlvN.png

I updated to Windows 10, hoping it would fix it
It didn't

That's a Z97-G45, a very new motherboard. It shouldn't have a problem with this video card.

I've actually run into this issue multiple times with AMD cards, and the fix is never quite the same. A motherboard flash has worked, but your board is too new for that to be the issue. I also had the issue occur when I upgraded to Windows 8.1 (though strangely not Win10), so maybe your upgrade caused it. Sounds like neither Win7 or Win10 worked for you, though (was the behavior exactly the same before the upgrade?).

When you have a system that will show the BIOS screen and POST messages, but blanks out at the Windows load screen, you're dealing with a driver issue, not a hardware failure. But you're describing more erratic behavior, and the colored lines have me worried.

To determine if it might be just a software issue, I'd try to get into Windows using built-in video and remove all AMD drivers from the system using a driver cleaner and see if you can get into Windows using the default driver.

thewhitewox

Jan 31, 2016
That's a Z97-G45, a very new motherboard. It shouldn't have a problem with this video card.

I've actually run into this issue multiple times with AMD cards, and the fix is never quite the same. A motherboard flash has worked, but your board is too new for that to be the issue. I also had the issue occur when I upgraded to Windows 8.1 (though strangely not Win10), so maybe your upgrade caused it. Sounds like neither Win7 or Win10 worked for you, though (was the behavior exactly the same before the upgrade?).

When you have a system that will show the BIOS screen and POST messages, but blanks out at the Windows load screen, you're dealing with a driver issue, not a hardware failure. But you're describing more erratic behavior, and the colored lines have me worried.

To determine if it might be just a software issue, I'd try to get into Windows using built-in video and remove all AMD drivers from the system using a driver cleaner and see if you can get into Windows using the default driver.

Well, it works without drivers installed, and just using my integrated GPU
I'm currently using my I-GPU, since I can't use my video card to play games without the drivers
And the Windows version doesn't matter, I've tried 7 and 10, and also Ubuntu, which works until I install fglrx drivers

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
I'd still recommend to re-flash your vbios with a stock rom. And you can easily do that, as long as it's connected to the motherboard using iGPU as your primary output device.

What exactly is the model of your graphics card?

Also, I'd clean the heatsink and reapply thermal paste on it.

Also, make sure the graphics power connector (6 PIN or 8 PIN) is supplying good power to it.

Last edited:

thewhitewox

Jan 31, 2016
I'd still recommend to re-flash your vbios with a stock rom. And you can easily do that, as long as it's connected to the motherboard using iGPU as your primary output device.

What exactly is the model of your graphics card?

Also, I'd clean the heatsink and reapply thermal paste on it.

Also, make sure the graphics power connector (6 PIN or 8 PIN) is supplying good power to it.
I've already reflashed the vbios, it didn't work
It's an Sapphire R9 270X TOXIC
And I've swapped the cable cords to different connectors so it should be getting power

How is the monitor connected to the PC? HDMI? DVI?
HDMI
I bought a DVI cable online, it's coming tomorrow, I'm hoping it'll fix it

smithkt

Oct 29, 2007
I had a similar problem a while back. I had to disable the iGPU as there appeared to be a conflict of some kind. Eventually a bios update on the motherboard resolved it.

thewhitewox

Jan 31, 2016
I had a similar problem a while back. I had to disable the iGPU as there appeared to be a conflict of some kind. Eventually a bios update on the motherboard resolved it.

I couldn't find anything on how to disable to iGPU in my BIOS
All I found was changing the initial boot device from IGD to PEG, still doesn't work

smithkt

Oct 29, 2007
I had to disable in Windows if I recall correctly.

So, installed OS with iGPU. Went into the device manager. Disabled the Intel display device. Shut the system down. Installed the GPU. Windows booted up with the basic VGA driver. Installed AMD driver.

It's been some time, so my memory may be a little sketchy.

thewhitewox

Jan 31, 2016
I had to disable in Windows if I recall correctly.

So, installed OS with iGPU. Went into the device manager. Disabled the Intel display device. Shut the system down. Installed the GPU. Windows booted up with the basic VGA driver. Installed AMD driver.

It's been some time, so my memory may be a little sketchy.

Just tried it, no go :/

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Well, it works without drivers installed, and just using my integrated GPU
I'm currently using my I-GPU, since I can't use my video card to play games without the drivers
And the Windows version doesn't matter, I've tried 7 and 10, and also Ubuntu, which works until I install fglrx drivers

We've already found the problem, so I think we should stop looking for new problems. The R9 270X loads into Windows properly UNTIL he installs the drivers. So it's a driver issue, just as I suggested three days ago.

We need to narrow down which driver versions you're trying, and perhaps use an older version. No need to continuing messing with cables and other such stuff!

thewhitewox

Jan 31, 2016
We've already found the problem, so I think we should stop looking for new problems. The R9 270X loads into Windows properly UNTIL he installs the drivers. So it's a driver issue, just as I suggested three days ago.

We need to narrow down which driver versions you're trying, and perhaps use an older version. No need to continuing messing with cables and other such stuff!

You're absolutely right, it is a driver issue
But I've tried so many versions of the drivers that I just was hoping it was a simple fix as the cable
I've installed AMD Drivers 16.1, 15.12, 14.12, 14.8, and most recently 13.12
When I installed the 13.12, I plugged the dvi cable in when I was already booted up on the I-GPU, which crashed my computer, but did give me a blue screen of death, which I think might be an improvement

This is what BlueScreenView says about it
Code:
020316-9125-01.dmp	03-Feb-16 1:11:59 PM	THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER	0x100000ea	ffffe000`304c3840	00000000`00000000	00000000`00000000	00000000`00000000	dxgkrnl.sys	dxgkrnl.sys+1e70c	DirectX Graphics Kernel	Microsoft® Windows® Operating System	Microsoft Corporation	10.0.10586.71 (th2_release.160115-1852)	x64	ntoskrnl.exe+142770	 	 	 	 	C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\020316-9125-01.dmp	4	15	10586	262,052	03-Feb-16 1:12:37 PM

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
You're absolutely right, it is a driver issue
But I've tried so many versions of the drivers that I just was hoping it was a simple fix as the cable
I've installed AMD Drivers 16.1, 15.12, 14.12, 14.8, and most recently 13.12
When I installed the 13.12, I plugged the dvi cable in when I was already booted up on the I-GPU, which crashed my computer, but did give me a blue screen of death, which I think might be an improvement

This is what BlueScreenView says about it
Code:
020316-9125-01.dmp	03-Feb-16 1:11:59 PM	THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER	0x100000ea	ffffe000`304c3840	00000000`00000000	00000000`00000000	00000000`00000000	dxgkrnl.sys	dxgkrnl.sys+1e70c	DirectX Graphics Kernel	Microsoft® Windows® Operating System	Microsoft Corporation	10.0.10586.71 (th2_release.160115-1852)	x64	ntoskrnl.exe+142770	 	 	 	 	C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\020316-9125-01.dmp	4	15	10586	262,052	03-Feb-16 1:12:37 PM

Well, it seems like you've covered your bases here regarding drivers. I can't imagine a different driver would work. Are you sure you're installing the right version for your OS version and type (32- or 64-bit)?

Also, had you successfully used this particular Radeon R9 270X previously in this exact system, prior to pulling it out of storage?

thewhitewox

Jan 31, 2016
Well, it seems like you've covered your bases here regarding drivers. I can't imagine a different driver would work. Are you sure you're installing the right version for your OS version and type (32- or 64-bit)?

Also, had you successfully used this particular Radeon R9 270X previously in this exact system, prior to pulling it out of storage?

I am positive about installing the right system version
I have also tried on different OS's
On Ubuntu, I installed the proprietary drivers and it would never get back the boot logo
On Windows 7, I've installed three different versions of the drivers, but they were for Windows 7 x64, still didn't work
On Windows 10 (current), I've installed all the drivers I listed previously, with the correct OS and 64-bit versions

The card worked with no problems before

SamMaster

Jun 26, 2010
I've seen bad cards act up only when drivers are installed before in my line of work. Since you tried different drivers versions and three different OSes and yet the problem still happens (even on Ubuntu!!!) then I would definitely say bad card. Is is still under warranty?

thewhitewox

Jan 31, 2016
I've seen bad cards act up only when drivers are installed before in my line of work. Since you tried different drivers versions and three different OSes and yet the problem still happens (even on Ubuntu!!!) then I would definitely say bad card. Is is still under warranty?

Um, I have no clue, I doubt it
How would I check?