Radeon Pro Question.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Thanks. Tbh a single 7970 performed like dream all through 2012...but now I have a 120Hz 1440p monitor and need extra gpu grunt. Crossfire is giving me the framerates, but not the benefits that traditionally come with those frames :(

Just curious, but have you tested the smoothness on another monitor? A hack/overclocked korean knockoff may have issues of it's own displaying smooth content.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Just curious, but have you tested the smoothness on another monitor? A hack/overclocked korean knockoff may have issues of it's own displaying smooth content.

Go to tech report, AMD has admitted its a fault with their drivers. All GCN cards have the problem. They say they will fix it but no estimates of when.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Go to tech report, AMD has admitted its a fault with their drivers. All GCN cards have the problem. They say they will fix it but no estimates of when.

He is using RadeonPro to try and negate the problem which many agree does solve microstutter. He says that it is still not smooth so I asked him if he has tried a different monitor.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
He is using RadeonPro to try and negate the problem which many agree does solve microstutter. He says that it is still not smooth so I asked him if he has tried a different monitor.

As I have been saying for a long long time now it doesn't always solve the problem. It doesn't because its a fault with the cards (likely drivers but let's see how it plays out).

I said this because changing monitors for microstutter is blatantly absurd. I could have just ridiculed you directly for it, instead I just said its a fault and thus implied not to bother with you ridiculous test that in no way related to the problem at hand. It could be the problem, but its and xfire, we already know its the cards. So let's stop trying to blame anywhere but squarely at the feet of AMD and their rubbish drivers. In the meantime users can still try messing with radeon pro etc but honestly now we have an admittance to the problem I would argue put up with it and wait for the fix or switch cards.

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
As I have been saying for a long long time now it doesn't always solve the problem. It doesn't because its a fault with the cards (likely drivers but let's see how it plays out).

I said this because changing monitors for microstutter is blatantly absurd. I could have just ridiculed you directly for it, instead I just said its a fault and thus implied not to bother with you ridiculous test that in no way related to the problem at hand. It could be the problem, but its and xfire, we already know its the cards. So let's stop trying to blame anywhere but squarely at the feet of AMD and their rubbish drivers. In the meantime users can still try messing with radeon pro etc but honestly now we have an admittance to the problem I would argue put up with it and wait for the fix or switch cards.

The problem is you have been petty much telling everyone not to bother regardless that Radeon Pro is mostly successful and NV 310.70 driver are crappy at the moment..

In Black Octagon case it my be better if he changed brand.

Last edited:

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
Whoa guys. One person's experience on an unusual monitor does indeed not a representative sample make!!! I'm indeed disappointed, but please don't turn this into a brand war based on my experience alone.

I can indeed try with another 120Hz monitor and will do so. The only problem is that 'all' other such monitors are 1080p and at that res even a single 7970 runs most games at 120fps easily.

Might need to reinstall Metro 2033 for this one

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
One other thing. To run at 1440p@120Hz requires a custom (community made) driver patcher, which I have installed. The guy who made the patcher has suggested some further things for me to try, to ensure it's not a problem with his patcher.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Yes indeed, and it IS awesome. Which is why I'm not willing to tolerate a reported 120fps framerate unless it comes with the requisite smoothness :)

I'm not an expert, but doesn't the less than stellar response times of those big IPS panels still kinda ruin the 120hz experience?

Whitestar127

Dec 2, 2011
I thought Skyrim wouldn't work very well with 120hz? Something to do with vsync and physics. Or have they fixed that?

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
I'm not an expert, but doesn't the less than stellar response times of those big IPS panels still kinda ruin the 120hz experience?

If by response time you mean input lag, then sure, they're still not ideal for competitive FPS gaming. But I'm not a competitive FPS gamer.

I used to be on a Samsung S27A950D, which is a 1080p TN monitor with out-of-the-box 120Hz support. It has rather unimpressive measured input lag according to Prad.de (up to nearly 20ms) but to be honest I never noticed it.

If anything, my new IPS display is slightly snappier than the Sammy so I don't complain

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
I thought Skyrim wouldn't work very well with 120hz? Something to do with vsync and physics. Or have they fixed that?

You heard correctly and no they never really fixed it. Skyrim will always be a mess :)

To make Skyrim work properly on a 120Hz screen, you basically need to use RadeonPro or some other software to limit the frames to 120fps or less. You do this while leaving VSync OFF in your graphics card settings, but with skyrim.ini containing the value iPresentInterval=1 (yeah don't ask).

When I do that, I get proper 120fps@120Hz smoothness with nearly all the graphical and audio artifacts gone.

However, this is only when running a single GPU. No matter what I do, running the game with Crossfire enabled results in a stuttering mess :(