Radeon HD 7950 Owner's Thread

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nomercy1

May 7, 2011
Been overclocking my saphire 7950 today. Got it to 1200mhz clock and 1450 memory with no issues in FuMark, or Heaven. Needless to say i was pleased since i was still on stock voltage and stock fan speeds. Temps maxed at 78c after 30 min in FuMark.

Then Far Cry 3 happened. Everything else was fine with this overclock bf3 included. But Far Cry 3 called bullshit and had to cut it down to 1140mz clock to keep it stable. such a shame :/

mablo

Sep 10, 2012
Been overclocking my saphire 7950 today. Got it to 1200mhz clock and 1450 memory with no issues in FuMark, or Heaven. Needless to say i was pleased since i was still on stock voltage and stock fan speeds. Temps maxed at 78c after 30 min in FuMark.

Then Far Cry 3 happened. Everything else was fine with this overclock bf3 included. But Far Cry 3 called bullshit and had to cut it down to 1140mz clock to keep it stable. such a shame :/

Same thing happened to me. My 1100mhz, 1.181v OC was stable in every single game I tried. Hitman Absolution, Arma2, BF3, could run heaven for hours. Then I started Far Cry and it crashed instantly. What is up with this game?

Nomercy1

May 7, 2011
Few issues popping up now if someone can help.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&SID=u00000687

is the card i have. Now before i was running this card just fine 1100mhz clock, 1450 mem. Now it would never go past that for memory without failing which i found a bit odd but now after 1- 2 hours of gaming its locking up. I backed down the core too 1050 and memory to 1400 and seems to be doing ok for now. But i want MORE. so i want to up my voltage but hell if i can get a good reading. MSI and Trixx say 1.068 for voltage. GPU-Z says it peaks at 1.13 . HWinfo64 says it peaks at 1.25 exactly everytime :/ .

i tried upping it in MSI afterburner to 1.180 and gpu-z peaks at 1.16 and Hwinfo64 1.25 still. Basically im not sure how to get a accurate voltage for this thing so i just backed everything down to stock till someone can enlighten me. Now even if i put in MSI to another .02 to make it the desires 1.18 it doesnt seems to change anything.

edit: Temps are low still 65c max on gpu and vram in the 65-69 range full load.

Last edited:

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Few issues popping up now if someone can help.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&SID=u00000687

is the card i have. Now before i was running this card just fine 1100mhz clock, 1450 mem. Now it would never go past that for memory without failing which i found a bit odd but now after 1- 2 hours of gaming its locking up. I backed down the core too 1050 and memory to 1400 and seems to be doing ok for now. But i want MORE. so i want to up my voltage but hell if i can get a good reading. MSI and Trixx say 1.068 for voltage. GPU-Z says it peaks at 1.13 . HWinfo64 says it peaks at 1.25 exactly everytime :/ .

i tried upping it in MSI afterburner to 1.180 and gpu-z peaks at 1.16 and Hwinfo64 1.25 still. Basically im not sure how to get a accurate voltage for this thing so i just backed everything down to stock till someone can enlighten me. Now even if i put in MSI to another .02 to make it the desires 1.18 it doesnt seems to change anything.

edit: Temps are low still 65c max on gpu and vram in the 65-69 range full load.

you should wait for the farcry 3 performance drivers releasing today or tomorrow. also with beta drivers its always better to run at conservative overclocks for maximum stability.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Hi guys,

I have a Sapphire 7950 on order that's set to arrive tomorrow (Monday). I've read through this thread, and have some questions.

The card I ordered is the 100352-2L.

The card doesn't explicit state that its boost enabled, like this one, but it does list a "boost frequency" in the specs. So does the card I have on order include boost or not?

If it is boost enabled, when I overclock it, am I adjust the boost state, or the normal state?

If I am in fact adjust the boost state, does it affect when the card will choose to enter boost state? (ie. if I set a too high OC, will the card never enter a boost state?)

If I'm adjusting the normal state, and I adjust it to higher than the boost state of 925Mhz, Will the card disable boost altogether, or will it actually downclock to enter a boost state of 925Mhz?

Thanks, looking forward to playing with this thing.

I have the same card. Download msi afterburner, set power tune limit to max, then adjust voltage that way.

SonDa5

Dec 1, 2012
I was AFK for a week, sorry for the late reply.

This. I am not going to do anything of the sort on a card that works perfectly... I can take pictures with the heat sink still on (with a real camera this time) if it helps.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByOuTpzWy3ajUlczTEJnaTR4SjQ
Let me know if the link does not work

Thanks for the BIOS and too bad about the photos. I'd love to see what the PCB of it looks like.

Here are photos of my Sapphire HD7950 950mhz edition which uses a reference HD7970 PCB and is compatible with reference HD7970 aftermarket heatsinks and water blocks.

layoutSapphire950mzcard.jpg

VRMSapphireHD7950950mhz.jpg

VRMHD7950mhzvertical.jpg

lefttopelectricalSapphireHD7950950mz.jpg

memorySapphireHD7950950mhz.jpg

VoltageControlSapphireOC950mhz.jpg

SonDa5

Dec 1, 2012

Nomercy1

May 7, 2011
Im starting to think something else has gone horribly wrong. Initially my 1200mhz overclock was too much for farcry so i backed it down and farcry worked like a charm. However after a hour of black ops 2 my PC froze. First time in a long time. So i backed it down kept happening. All the time thinking its my overclock. Well im down to stock speeds now and its still happening, and i havnt a clue why. :/

edit: Now belive either MSI afterburner or GPU-Z is messing with black ops 2 somehow, only happens in that one game. Anyone had similar issues? after googling around seems it does happen. Anyhow if i could just figure out how to accuretly change my voltage :)

Last edited:

Mezzanine

Feb 13, 2006
Does anyone else have huge voltage droop with their 7950? I can set my Gigabyte Windforce to 1.2v with Trixx but GPUZ is showing the actual voltage to be only like 1.1v and it fluctuates a lot. I'm getting a lot of driver crashing even at stock so i'm wondering if my card is faulty.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Im starting to think something else has gone horribly wrong. Initially my 1200mhz overclock was too much for farcry so i backed it down and farcry worked like a charm. However after a hour of black ops 2 my PC froze. First time in a long time. So i backed it down kept happening. All the time thinking its my overclock. Well im down to stock speeds now and its still happening, and i havnt a clue why. :/

edit: Now belive either MSI afterburner or GPU-Z is messing with black ops 2 somehow, only happens in that one game. Anyone had similar issues? after googling around seems it does happen. Anyhow if i could just figure out how to accuretly change my voltage :)

Have you tried giving it a good clean out? A clogged heatsink could cause the same symptoms you are describing.

Nomercy1

May 7, 2011
Have you tried giving it a good clean out? A clogged heatsink could cause the same symptoms you are describing.

Yeah not too long ago i cleaned it out pretty good. The freezing started randomly occuring in the game 5 - 10 min in up to 30 min in. Once i got on the thought it could be the programs i have had it running/playing for 4 hours without issue. Also while this was going on i ran heaven for 2 hours without a problem on a higher overclock. ( back on stock speeds till this is resolved). I hope its fixed but time will tell. I'm pretty sure it is MSI Afterburner doing it as im pretty sure i ran gpu-z while playing in the past and MSI afterburner was just installed to see how it stacks up against Trixx. Ill load up afterburner here in a few and see if i can replicate the freeze.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Yeah not too long ago i cleaned it out pretty good. The freezing started randomly occuring in the game 5 - 10 min in up to 30 min in. Once i got on the thought it could be the programs i have had it running/playing for 4 hours without issue. Also while this was going on i ran heaven for 2 hours without a problem on a higher overclock. ( back on stock speeds till this is resolved). I hope its fixed but time will tell. I'm pretty sure it is MSI Afterburner doing it as im pretty sure i ran gpu-z while playing in the past and MSI afterburner was just installed to see how it stacks up against Trixx. Ill load up afterburner here in a few and see if i can replicate the freeze.

There used to be a lot of threads where AB was causing crashes with AMD cards. Haven't seen any for a while. Are you maybe running an older version of AB?

Nomercy1

May 7, 2011
There used to be a lot of threads where AB was causing crashes with AMD cards. Haven't seen any for a while. Are you maybe running an older version of AB?

2.3.0. Been running gpu-z with black ops 2 now for another few hours, re-instated a overclock of 1100mhz core and 1450mhz mem and am not seeing any issue. And i did run MSI Afterburner with farcry3 and benchmarking software with no issue. Seems to be solely Black ops 2 and MSI afterburner v 2.3.0 not working for me :. But its good news since i can O.C. again

Last edited:

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
Just got the card. ASIC is 59.2 :(

starting with a 1025Mhz OC, and seeing where it goes from there. What settings do you guys use for OCCT? I can't get it to ramp the GPU pass 500Mhz

Nomercy1

May 7, 2011
Just got the card. ASIC is 59.2 :(

starting with a 1025Mhz OC, and seeing where it goes from there. What settings do you guys use for OCCT? I can't get it to ramp the GPU pass 500Mhz

Using the gpu burner? and i was bummed when my said 70 ASIC :/ . I run heaven and 3dmark, and FurMark for benchmarking, not OCCT but when i did use it it ramped me up to 100%

tommiyacht

Dec 2, 2012
is 1100mhz enough to play top games on full details ? my card is rather far from decent (asic 58%) and when i set 1150 i must bump core voltage arround 1,22v-1,23v (1,18v reading in gpu-z) meanwhile on 1100mhz is running on 1,16v (1,11 reading in gpu-z). In both case temps are ok (below 70c vrm and below 65c gpu in heaven 3.0 couple loops) but dont want to decrease lifetime my card

oh, cant get more than 1450mhz on mems (on stock voltage but dont want to overvoltage it)

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
Using the gpu burner? and i was bummed when my said 70 ASIC :/ . I run heaven and 3dmark, and FurMark for benchmarking, not OCCT but when i did use it it ramped me up to 100%

yup, figured it out actually, the window had to be in focus :p

I'm stuck at 850Mhz for some reason, the card won't enter the boost state...

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
is 1100mhz enough to play top games on full details ? my card is rather far from decent (asic 58%) and when i set 1150 i must bump core voltage arround 1,22v-1,23v (1,18v reading in gpu-z) meanwhile on 1100mhz is running on 1,16v (1,11 reading in gpu-z). In both case temps are ok (below 70c vrm and below 65c gpu in heaven 3.0 couple loops) but dont want to decrease lifetime my card

oh, cant get more than 1450mhz on mems (on stock voltage but dont want to overvoltage it)

don't fret over the Asic percentage. There's never been anything directly linked to it performance or quality wise.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
is 1100mhz enough to play top games on full details ?

Depends on your requirements for framerate and your gaming resolution. For me, 7950 @ 1100mhz has so far proven fast enough for near Ultra @ 1080p. I want constant 60fps but I do accept some slowdowns if they're few and far between. In BF3 I use ultra settings apart from disabled motion blur and medium shadows, it's 55-60fps. Witcher 2 plays near-60 fps as well with Ubersampling disabled. On the other hand, Planetside 2 experiences heavy slowdowns no matter what settings I use, it seems to be poorly optimized.

My memory isn't overclocked, it doesn't seem to like being overclocked at all. I may be able to get 1300mhz stable but I don't think it's worth the hassle... it just doesn't affect performance all that much

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
My asic on my vapor x 7970 GHz is 62%. Don't worry too much but I've noticed people with higher asic and the same card can overclock up to 1200mhz on the core and 1600 on memory but I can go only up to 1170/1580 on mine.

mikek753

Dec 21, 2005
hi,

would you recommend PSU for this card? Please.
In addition to 512Gb SSD my planned system will run 4 3T HDD in raid.
No, system will not be 24/7, something about 3-5 h/day.
It's HTPC with gaming ability ;-) to output to 1080P LCD TV through 7.1 receiver via HDMI.

Thanks.