Radeon HD 7950 Owner's Thread

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
I play with all settings on max and thе minimum for me are 40fps. And i play on 950/1350MHz.

Can you upload a MSI AB graph that shows your framerate?

I was talking about solid 60fps, without ups or downs! :D

Also are we talking outdoors or indoors because I was studying an outdoors section.

Belkov

Feb 26, 2013
what do you mean with outdoors and indoors?
also i sold the game because i didn't like it... :)
I checked FPSs with fraps.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Indoors like a cave or tunnel or something. Outdoors in the forest or an open place that I haven't reached yet.

Bus since you don't have it any more it's OK.

Our friend can try my suggestions and see if they suit him! :)

Belkov

Feb 26, 2013
Aham...
i don't know - i really don't like this game... Call me sexist, but i prefer games where the hero is a man... :D ... a manly man... :)

Last edited:

just1nlopez

Mar 13, 2013
TIM - Is thermal compound. If you have some good TIM around you should clean off the old stuff and apply some newer TIM. It's easy, just remove the four screws on the back of the TF3 7950.

The 400R is a sweet case. If you have an extra 120mm (1 or 2) case fans laying around try putting one or two on the side panel to help push cool air to the 7950. Download this program here http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
When you open it up, right click on the top bar and select ASIC Quality. Should give you a percentage.

You could even try installing a case fan here -

5f9c1887-d579-4550-a1e0-3fed0f869595_zps049ee46b.jpg

I know, I am one hell of an Artist..

I did exactly this , new TIM and the fan blowing into the card, and it dropped 5-7c drop in temp. About normal right?

Ianesz

Mar 18, 2013
Noticed this thread and decided it might be the best place to post this.

I just bought an MSI 7950 TF3 BE/OC 3 days ago, and while performance is a definite bump over my previous 4890, so is the noise. My previous card was a Sapphire VaporX model, and it seemed loudish when at full load, but not really annoying. This new card is so much louder its unbelivable, and whats more annoying, it keeps spinning up and down for every little GPU load change (yes, GPU load not temperature), so its like listening to a very loud wind, which makes it so much more annoying than simply high RPMs.

I've tried using MSI Afterburner to lower the fan speed, but it seems to do nothing, I can manually specify the fan speed % and/or use the fan curve thing, but as soon as i alt-tab to a game, it will just act as it pleases.

Note however, that the card isn't hot, in fact its constantly around 53-55℃.

So, what I'm asking is, is this normal?

P.S. I ran 3DM Vantage since i had it on PC from before, my score is 25k, is that okay for this card? Mostly curious because i haven't formatted my drive for 2 years, and i'm not 100% if I properly wiped the old drivers. CPU is i5 750 @ 3.5ghz

Last edited:

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I did exactly this , new TIM and the fan blowing into the card, and it dropped 5-7c drop in temp. About normal right?

Yes sir, that sounds about right. If you card is anything like mine, then you would need much better cooling in order to do some serious overclocking. You should be able to reach 1000-1050 core without a voltage increase. Bringing my card t 1.1v to overclock further would make it run too hot 80c+ with auto fan speeds. Your memory could probably go 1600-1700 on the stock 1.6v. All in all anything under 80c on this card would make me feel comfortable for everyday use, but even at 75-77c your card will probably get to loud to deal with...unless you game on headphones.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Noticed this thread and decided it might be the best place to post this.

I just bought an MSI 7950 TF3 BE/OC 3 days ago, and while performance is a definite bump over my previous 4890, so is the noise. My previous card was a Sapphire VaporX model, and it seemed loudish when at full load, but not really annoying. This new card is so much louder its unbelivable, and whats more annoying, it keeps spinning up and down for every little GPU load change (yes, GPU load not temperature), so its like listening to a very loud wind, which makes it so much more annoying than simply high RPMs.

I've tried using MSI Afterburner to lower the fan speed, but it seems to do nothing, I can manually specify the fan speed % and/or use the fan curve thing, but as soon as i alt-tab to a game, it will just act as it pleases.

Note however, that the card isn't hot, in fact its constantly around 53-55℃.

So, what I'm asking is, is this normal?

P.S. I ran 3DM Vantage since i had it on PC from before, my score is 25k, is that okay for this card? Mostly curious because i haven't formatted my drive for 2 years, and i'm not 100% if I properly wiped the old drivers. CPU is i5 750 @ 3.5ghz

Is the card doing 53-55c on full load? or is this at idle?

This card at high fans speeds 65-70% + is way too loud IMO. I remember having a card back in the day that would do the same thing. The fan would jump up and down all of the time. I can't remember how I fixed it or if I even did? I would download driver sweeper and get rid of all of the old AMD drivers, then install the newest WHQL drivers to see if that does anything.

EDIT: Wait, I remember now. It was a piece of junk HIS 6870 card I had. That card's fan would do the same thing. I remember the temps were fine, but the cards fan would act like it was possessed. I remember after trying a lot of different things I still ended up sending the card back for RMA. I had to RMA that card 3 times - POS. So you may have to exchange the card or return it..

Last edited:

Ianesz

Mar 18, 2013
As I'm typing this, the GPU temp is 30℃. 53-55℃ is when the fans start revving up. So while this isn't under some torture test, this happens in WoW in more demanding areas (@Ultra settings) and RIFT. MSI Afterburner reports 90%+ GPU usage at those times.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
As I'm typing this, the GPU temp is 30℃. 53-55℃ is when the fans start revving up. So while this isn't under some torture test, this happens in WoW in more demanding areas (@Ultra settings) and RIFT. MSI Afterburner reports 90%+ GPU usage at those times.

Try monitoring your GPU temps while playing WOW on Ultra. Open up GPU-Z or MSI afterburner and keep track of your highest temps. I find it odd that you cannot set the fan speed to a static percentage and it does not stay there when you play a game.

Also try using the latest beta - http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Download lastest beta link

Ianesz

Mar 18, 2013
Afterburner 3 beta makes no difference. After careful observation, I belive the card will stay at around 1000 RPM until it reaches 59℃, after which it goes panic mode and will not stop with the revving up and down, will not go under 2k RPM and will not let the temp go over 55℃. This behaviour will reset once i close a game for a while, and the card cools back down to 30℃.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Afterburner 3 beta makes no difference. After careful observation, I belive the card will stay at around 1000 RPM until it reaches 59℃, after which it goes panic mode and will not stop with the revving up and down, will not go under 2k RPM and will not let the temp go over 55℃. This behaviour will reset once i close a game for a while, and the card cools back down to 30℃.

Sounds like something is wrong with the onboard fan controller. I would RMA the card.

Belkov

Feb 26, 2013
You are one lucky son of a... let's say... flower...:) Very nice score... And now, with this cooler, your card finally can show its full potential. :)
Please make valley and heaven benchmarks with these clocks...

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
You are one lucky son of a... let's say... flower...:) Very nice score... And now, with this cooler, your card finally can show its full potential. :)
Please make valley and heaven benchmarks with these clocks...

Flower sounds nice :D

Here is my Valley Best - 2nd Fastest 7950 on OCN's Valley top 30 thread ... slow clap....

3570K @ 5.1Ghz - Samsung @ 2133 - 7950 @ 1320/1860

valley_2013_03_18_23_00_52_376_zps2d640d77.jpg

I haven't run Heaven yet. What settings are the standard?

Last edited:

Belkov

Feb 26, 2013
Mmmmmmmm - nice - 5 fps more than my best result... Very nice...:)

Last edited:

hyrule4927

Feb 9, 2012
Just swapped the thermal paste on my TF3 for some Cooler Master Thermal Fusion. Running Bitcoin for the past hour my core temperature seems to have settled around 64C at my usual 1035MHz and 55% fan speed. Beforehand it was getting up to 71C. I only expected it to be 3 degrees cooler at best, so I'm definitely happy with the results! Might have used a little to much paste too, so maybe I could manage even better. ^_^

Only question now is whether I should clock it higher or run my fan a little more slowly to enjoy the extra thermal headroom . . .

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Jesus nice scores dude.

Thanks!

Just swapped the thermal paste on my TF3 for some Cooler Master Thermal Fusion. Running Bitcoin for the past hour my core temperature seems to have settled around 64C at my usual 1035MHz and 55% fan speed. Beforehand it was getting up to 71C. I only expected it to be 3 degrees cooler at best, so I'm definitely happy with the results! Might have used a little to much paste too, so maybe I could manage even better. ^_^

Only question now is whether I should clock it higher or run my fan a little more slowly to enjoy the extra thermal headroom . . .

Very nice results man! MSI's thermal paste must blow :thumbsdown:

Try to see how high you can bench it at. You have more headroom now :D

Belkov

Feb 26, 2013
There are 2 new bioses for GB 7950 WF3 users... :) Some new GHz versions... May be they will help to hardware voltage locked 7950's owners... :)

GB BIOSES - FX1 & FY1
I will try this FX1 bios - it seems it is made exactly for F42/F43 bios versions... :)

EDIT: I couldn't reflash - my bios died...:)
Just returned to F43... :)
@psolord, try this FX1 bios - it would work for your card(with stock FX0 bios version).

Last edited: