Radeon 9000 on Intel N440BX mobo with Win2K = trouble!

May 15, 2002
I installed a PowerColor Radeon 9000 PCI card into my Intel N440BX motherboard (running Win2K) because I wanted to have a digital connection to my LCD monitor. But the drivers and control panel (both PowerColor and ATI versions) give nothing but grief. Boot-time lockups, corrupt display, freezes when I open Display Properties, etc. The system is unusable if the drivers are installed.

I seen to recall a comment somewhere to the effect that Radeons don't like systems with on-board video? The N440BX has an integrated Cirrus Logic video chip... Never had any trouble before, but perhaps it's killing me now?

Any help would be appreciated, I don't want to have to rip the new card out...

May 15, 2002
Yes, I did install DirectX 8.1 first. This system was a fresh Win2K install, then DirectX 8.1 and SP3, then Radeon 9000 driver and control panel. Since then it's been unusable unless I boot in "safe mode" and uninstall the Radeon 9000 drivers. The drivers from PowerColor seem like they might possibly work if I don't install any control panel, I'm going to try that (on a new fresh install) next...