radeon 8500 AGP fast-write problem

Drewpy

Jun 1, 2002
After upgrading to the Catalyst 2.5 drivers, I noticed that they have added a SMARTGART tab to the display properties.

Through the BIOS I have always set AGP Fast-Writes to Enabled. However, checking the SMARTGART reveals that fast write is off.

I Changed the radio button to ON, and rebooted my computer as prompted. When going through POST I checked within the BIOS again to see if fast-writes were enabled, and the were.

Upon checking in SMARTGART after logging back into Windows, the fast-writes were disabled again! WCPU-ID confirms this.

I have tried every combination of On and Off within the BIOS and driver settings. Can anyone tell me how to enable fast-writes? After checking old WCPU-ID print-outs, fast-writes have NEVER been enabled.

sys specs:
Asus A7V266-E rev2 motherboard (latest 4in1 drivers)
ATI Radeon 8500 (latest catalyst 2.5 drivers)
Windows 2000 (SP3 fully patched)

If it doesn't affect performance please tell me, so that I don't start pulling out my hair, and tossing hardware around.

Because I won't be upgrading my mobo anytime soon (spending my money on some case modding), I would like to be able to get the best performance possible out of it.

pls check my sig for further deatils of my comp if needed. Pokey II.

Viper96720

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2002
Yep don't make a noticeable difference. I get higher scores in 3dmark with it off. Not that it matters any. Since I can't play 3dmark.

CurtCold

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2002
I have the same board, and same card, and yes I have fastwrites turned on in the bios, but with the smartGart, it says it's off. Just like these guys said it makes 0 difference that I can tell.

3d Mark=8571