Radeon 7990 to debut at computex - expected $849

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
He has a 6970CF, that is slower. BF3 isn't particularly tessellation heavy, that was Crysis 2. Maybe he is more sensitive to MS, I wouldn't outright exclude it just because you don't seem to notice it.

I'm hypothesizing. Cayman sucks.

Whatever the case, its not VRAM which is what he stated earlier....2gb is more than fine for bf3.

Last edited:

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
Well, MS is the first logical explanation that comes to mind when someone uses AFR and complains about stuttering (I'm assuming here that his displayed fps are fine - maybe he could say something about that). I have a 580 SLI and I certainly know what I'm talking about. By your own admission, you never experienced/noticed MS, so - no offense - your opinion/experience on this is not really helpful. Forgive my lack of a better example, but it's kind of like a blind man saying "hey, that is not red, it's green".

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Well, MS is the first logical explanation that comes to mind when someone uses AFR and complains about stuttering (I'm assuming here that his displayed fps are fine - maybe he could say something about that). I have a 580 SLI and I certainly know what I'm talking about. By your own admission, you never experienced/noticed MS, so - no offense - your opinion/experience on this is not really helpful. Forgive my lack of a better example, but it's kind of like a blind man saying "hey, that is not red, it's green".

I have seen MS in the past on older generation crossfire (5000 series) and uneven crossfire, and i'm pretty certain i've mentioned this in the past. I don't know where you pulled that from (by your own admission never noticed MS). I have seen it, but not on gpu's from recent years. 580 SLI, 680 sli, 7970CF, I haven't seen MS on any of those setups on single screen resolutions. I have never tried cayman in xfire, maybe it does have MS, that is entirely possible. In fact, it seems plausible because even techreport picked up some wildly varying frametimes on cayman cards, so I could be very wrong on this issue as to MS causing his problems. It doesn't exist on tahiti that i've seen, unless its specific to eyefinity or something.

I worded my earlier post rather poorly, apologies - Anyway, we can continue hypothesizing but i'm sure his issue isn't VRAM....I think we can probably agree on that and drop the issue. I didn't mean to create a tangent, my hypothesis is that his choppiness is resulting from the general weakness of cayman in DX11 titles and tessellation in particular. I could very well be wrong though, it could be MS. I'm not sure.

Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Fixed post for easier reading without all the excuses...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Excuses. Thats why I have 1100$ in nvidia hardware, to make excuses for AMD. If you say so. You should just put me on ignore because I know you get pretty hot headed. Otherwise if you don't, please continue to amuse me...

Last edited:

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Excuses. Thats why I have 1100$ in nvidia hardware, to make excuses for AMD. If you say so. You should just put me on ignore because I know you get pretty hot headed. Otherwise if you don't, please continue to amuse me, I think every post i've seen from you is amusing...especially the cloud gaming thread.

This is serious business for him bro, its pretty obvious with how mad he gets lol.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I think a 'budget' 7950/7970 would be a fantastic idea. 1.5GB 7950 at say $300 would be a great price for a great GPU for 1080P or less. Definitely.
7950 maybe but not the 7970. really buying top of the line card with just 1.5gb of vram at this point is stupid. people will only end up having to upgrade sooner like the people that bought an 8800gt 256mb, 8800gts 320mb, or 4870 512mb when that amount of vram was already a bit sketchy. the higher vram models of those cards remained viable for gaming for 2 to 3 times as long. as of right now 1.5gb can already be tapped out or close to tapped out in some games at the settings a 7970 can run. a 1.5gb model would be a very short sided and ignorant purchase for those that really want to get the most out of their card for the next couple of years.

Last edited: