Radeon 7970 , quite a few compared

Upgrade_Itch

Apr 25, 2012
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-overclock-review,3186-11.html

TH has a May 2nd review up. As I suspected the Sapphire cools the best, this is the primary reason I bought it. Using a Hyper 212+ Evo on my aging cpu prevents me from using a side fan on the video card...(given the Antec 902 V3 case)

I just wanted DOUBLE the performance of my HD5850, this card overclocked delivers. Played Far Cry (1) for about 30 minutes...my oc'd gpu reached 56C.

Last edited:

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
The hell is wrong with everyone and their noise charts??

Noise.png

0.5dB difference between idle and load?

Are you kidding me, this is worse then Guru3D and their noise charts.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
Because each decibel means much more noise than is linearly indicated. So this is the real difference in noise in linear terms.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
I know what decibel means, and trust me...

0.5dB difference between IDLE and LOAD noise is possible,
but only if they took the readings in an office across the street.

Upgrade_Itch

Apr 25, 2012
Um, no, the MSI Lightning is both cooler and quieter when overclocked. They are about the same at stock speeds but the MSI is still quieter.

Sapphire OC Edition is cooler at Bios setting #1.....If u volt it (bios setting 2) the MSI Lightning is cooler.

I use Bios setting 1.....I didn't buy the card to post benchmarks, I bought it for newer games releasing. I like a cool running rig.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I know what decibel means, and trust me...

0.5dB difference between IDLE and LOAD noise is possible,
but only if they took the readings in an office across the street.

Not really. If the idle speed of the fan is sufficient to cool the card at load, then there wouldn't be an increase in noise. I've had large coolers in the past that pretty much operated at a fixed speed because the cooler was overkill.