Discussion Radeon 6500XT and 6400

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Just getting a thread up for this. Navi 24 will ride... Q1 2022... ish.

I fugure the 6500XT lands ~5500XT territory for ~$200.

Reactions: Tlh97

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
Actually Mobile LPDDR5 should come in at 5500 if not 6400 bps. Apple M1Pro chips already support LPDDR5-6400.

It should be half decent 1080p gaming. Steamdeck is a good preview. You will most likely need to turn down settings.

But AMD has shown they are pricing to what the market will bear, so I expect they will be expensive, and a long wait until all the laptop OEMs are saturated until you can buy them for desktop usage.
Oh, Mobile DDR5 can certainly spec higher. Unfortunately, in everything I've seen, Rembrandt's OEM spec will be limited to 4800.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
We all read the article (Techspot) or saw the video (hardware Unboxed) savaging the 6500XT. Probably one of, if not the most negative of all the reviews available.

Now, in this latest guide, they are forced to admit the truth, as unpalatable as it is. We can argue ideology all the time, but the real world has the last say.

"For those of you looking to spend as little as possible the cheapest new graphics card is the unfortunate Radeon RX 6500 XT. Essentially, it’s a bad product with numerous issues that costs too much for what it is. However, there’s no alternative for under $450, so if you desperately need a new graphics card and the used market is out of the question, this is it."

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
@maddie

Good stuff.

There is no more revenue to be made from stomping it like the printer in office space. And I could dig up numerous vids by Steve from before the dark times, where he explained to his viewers, the potential perils of buying used cards when reviewing the latest offerings from either IHV. Besides, they are going to start looking like they are part of the Nvidia marketing human caterpillar, if they go any harder.

The newest release, Dying light 2, is feasting on cards like zombies on brains. The 6500xt is beating not just the vanilla 1650, but the 1650 super. And it nips at the heels of the 1070 at 1080p HQ settings, and beats it with low settings. In an Nvidia sponsored game no less.

dying-light-1080p-high-quality.png

dying-light-1080p-low-quality-768x768.png

Those charts are from Kit Guru BTW.

Last edited:

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
Ignoring price, the 3050 significantly outperforms the 6500xt while being in technically the same market. Unfortunately, being scalped like it is, it is also either massively overpriced, or unobtanium. There are still two glaring issues with the 6500xt that, in my book, are inexcusable: the PCIe bus width and the castrated media encoder. The bus width is most offensive to me, as the media encoder has a software fallback or offloads to the iGPU if available, which is fine for non-pro. The product still represents the absolute minimal possible effort for the segment...

Jul 27, 2020
In a face-off between 12700K and 5800X3D with 6500XT, which CPU is more likely to win? Could AMD put some special sauce in their drivers to supercharge their Radeons when used in conjunction with a V-cache CPU?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Ignoring price
no-i-dont-think.gif

No one ignores price when buying a vid card. The rest is fantasy league stats that mean next to nothing. Check out that vid I posted of it paired with a 10100f, 3.0 is not the deal breaker big reviews led me to think it was. In fact, youtube is chockablock with 3.0 testing where it is still beating the competition like the 1650, handily. I will stop picking on the 1050ti for a moment, because it always sucked. Furthermore, it is an even better example of how bad things have gotten, than the 6500xt is. Every gamer that buys the 6500xt instead of the other 2 turds available around $300, wins.

The consensus is that it will age like milk. Well, the cards you can buy around its price, already have. No speculation required, about it. Dying Light 2 and Sifu just came out, and the 6500xt runs those fine.

I have also made note of how reviewers refer to the same 2 or 3 games when bashing it. Cyberpunk'd is not going to be representative of many games in the next few years. Yet that is always the one they point out. Personally, I'd rather not be able to play a few overpriced, hot garbage, AAA games in the next few years, than be forced to spend more money to get descent performance in them.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
@maddie

[...] Dying light 2, is feasting on cards like zombies on brains. The 6500xt is beating not just the vanilla 1650, but the 1650 super. And it nips at the heels of the 1070 at 1080p HQ settings, and beats it with low settings. In an Nvidia sponsored game no less.
Those charts are from Kit Guru BTW.

Fair point, but is a single game statistically significant?

Besides which, it remains a one-trick pony: a card exclusively for gaming, with zero value for video processing. And that is a growing market, as more people get into video 4K and beyond.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Fair point, but is a single game statistically significant?

Besides which, it remains a one-trick pony for gaming, not for video processing. And that is a growing market, as more people get into 4K and beyond.
Long thread so I will address these points again. Can't be expected to wade through all of our scribblings. :D

Yup! one game, My point is that the game just came out, is very demanding, and is still buggy as heck. They just fixed the DLSS, for example. However, instead of the 6500xt tanking in it, it is doing better than most could have guessed. Beating a 1070 at any settings is most unexpected. Another new game is Sifu. No it isn't demanding, but it IS new. And the dude from PC Gamer was playing 4k ultra with res scaling and it was doing better than 60fps most of the time.

I agree with another member that ranted about the media stuff. He basically did the Jumanji - what year is it?!? Seriously, an $85 10100f can do it all alone. And if the potential buyer's CPU can't, then it will suck for gaming too. People keep pointing at the lack of the media block like they are the monkey that lives in Chris' closet on family guy. I consider it more of a talking point, since this card answered a very real need. That need being a BNIB card with a modern feature set for gaming, for under $300, that you can actually buy.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Ignoring price, the 3050 significantly outperforms the 6500xt while being in technically the same market. Unfortunately, being scalped like it is, it is also either massively overpriced, or unobtanium. There are still two glaring issues with the 6500xt that, in my book, are inexcusable: the PCIe bus width and the castrated media encoder. The bus width is most offensive to me, as the media encoder has a software fallback or offloads to the iGPU if available, which is fine for non-pro. The product still represents the absolute minimal possible effort for the segment...
In a technical enthusiast forum as this we can be excused for harping on tech minutia.

In the wider world, AKA, most people, bus width among other tech details are really insignificant. How many cylinders does you car have, sort of argument. How does it perform and what does it cost are the relevant stats.

The media encoder is relevant to many, but depending on what you need, is it a deal breaker?

In the end, no one is forcing anyone to buy this. Most here appear to dislike it. So what, don't get it, get something else.

TESKATLIPOKA

Platinum Member
May 1, 2020
You are right. I myself don't like this card, because AMD despite Its small size cut out parts or features It didn't really need to do.
If I wanted to buy a GPU card, I wouldn't really want to buy this one, but in the current market It's not like this card is a bad deal.

Jul 27, 2020
Reboots when monitor sleeps.
Could be immature drivers. Does it happen consistently? Happens with both Displayport and HDMI? Tried ruling out the monitor (wouldn't expect anyone to change their monitor but it could help in identifying the cause)?

Does the other person have the same Intel chipset? Same brand of mobo?

majord

Jul 26, 2015
HDMI and DP. Happens almost every time.

Other person is running 10 series Intel. So it's not tied to this chipset or pcie4 by the looks.. possibly only Intel though.

He reckons vanilla inbuilt windows drivers seemed to fix but not for me!

Thibsie

Apr 25, 2017
Well, my 1060gtx 6GB is slowly getting old.
Except the 6500xt, I dunno what I could get.
At about 500€ Max in EU, there's not much to love IMO.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Well, my 1060gtx 6GB is slowly getting old.
Except the 6500xt, I dunno what I could get.
At about 500€ Max in EU, there's not much to love IMO.
Still a good card. I would use NIS and FSR until you find something with considerably more performance in your budget. If you were on a GTX 760 or something, I'd say buy the 6500xt. But in your situation, I would take advantage of 6GB to keep better textures (one of the best IQ enhancers imo) and apply internal res scalers as needed, to maintain acceptable fps.

Thibsie

Apr 25, 2017
Still a good card. I would use NIS and FSR until you find something with considerably more performance in your budget. If you were on a GTX 760 or something, I'd say buy the 6500xt. But in your situation, I would take advantage of 6GB to keep better textures (one of the best IQ enhancers imo) and apply internal res scalers as needed, to maintain acceptable fps.

More or less my conclusion which is why I didn't upgrade yet but it becomes a bit difficult in some cases...

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
More or less my conclusion which is why I didn't upgrade yet but it becomes a bit difficult in some cases...
The struggle is real, many forget that. If that 500 did not include the resale value of your card, you should be able to manage a 6600 or 3050 where you live?

Reactions: Tlh97 and Thibsie

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
Just had a look at the aus market that partially influences the Gamers Nexus videos and they sell for 320 AUD here, so about 220 American dollars atm in aus and exactly RRP if you remove GST. 4gb used 570s are going for 300-400 AUD. Seems like the new 6500xt is probably the best option, esp when you consider the amount of mining most cards have likely done.