Discussion Radeon 6500XT and 6400

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Just getting a thread up for this. Navi 24 will ride... Q1 2022... ish.

I fugure the 6500XT lands ~5500XT territory for ~$200.

Reactions: Tlh97

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
OooooKaaay what? I asked for link. You quoted a post without links...
I showed you a post made by a fellow member claiming MSRP.

Maybe try a PM to the author of the post? Do you think he's lying?

AND not to be outdone and maintain this level of interaction.

I did give you a link. To the post that mentioned the MSRP availability. Did you mean hyperlink? Well look at that, I'm in the ring.
I'm stopping here.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I showed you a post made by a fellow member claiming MSRP.

Maybe try a PM to the author of the post? Do you think he's lying?

AND not to be outdone and maintain this level of interaction.

I did give you a link. To the post that mentioned the MSRP availability. Did you mean hyperlink? Well look at that, I'm in the ring.
I'm stopping here.

:rolleyes:

It's a post stating they can be bought "here" (no explanation of here) at MSRP (no indication of which MSRP, Lots of them have official $270 MSRP) followed by saying "Don't ask how".

That's completely meaningless BS. Not evidence, not a link to a store.

If you want to claim they are available for $200, provide some actually evidence not hearsay.

I have seen people in this forum have actually purchased 3050 for under $300 as well, showed pictures of the box/card when they received it.

That's more evidence of a $250 3050, than you provided for a $200 6500XT.

Does that mean the 3050 is really the best under $300 GPU you can buy?

You need to have a level playing field for the evidence of available pricing, and that would be links to stores where they are actually available at your claimed prices. Not one offs, and hearsay.

Reactions: Mopetar

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
No, I didn't "know" that. I'm from EU, with somewhat limited understanding of the retail experience in US other than quickly checking Newegg or Amazon. FYI the 6500XT is much more expensive in my area, although that doesn't change it's relative standing versus the 6600 and the 3050. The skewed prices look different bellow the 6500XT, as the 1050ti and 1650 can be a bit cheaper. From what I understand, the reverse is true in the US.

I think one of the reasons we're having such a clash in opinions is local pricing. The best example I can give you to show the difference in perceived spending effort is that for the local price of a 6500XT I can effectively buy a 5700G APU.
I am not near a MicroCenter, which is the best place for PC stuff in the U.S. So for what I would pay for the 5700G elsewhere, I can buy the 6500xt and a 12100f, a much better budget combo and PCIe4.0 capable.

LULed at Steve doing mental gymnastics with that last 6500xt review. Old Polaris and 10 series Nvidia v. new card with warranty, and further hamstrung it with a 3.0 interface. Starting to think he changed editorial direction after all. :p

To further elaborate, the best reason to buy a Ryzen APU over Intel right now, is as a place holder for gaming, the same reasoning used to buy any of the cards in that review. Makes no sense to pair the placeholder iGPU with the placeholder GPU unless you are determined to reinforce your previous conclusions about it. I am not saying it makes a huge difference most of the time, but using 3.0 and not using SAM fails to show it in its best light.

This guy -

tested it in 3.0 with Forza Horizon 5 and SAM and it made a substantial difference. Yes, it's only one game, but so is Doom Eternal, the prime example of how bad it can be in certain scenarios. There are a few other examples of both, but that is why people need to look around and not settle for the confirmation bias that big reviews help engender. I have seen SAM positively change the overall performance of Radeon cards v. big reviews. RTX and DLSS get all the attention, but they can't be bothered to test SAM. Consequently big reviews carry less weight with me than smaller ones that test every feature. And the big reviews are not doing anything magical anyways, besides pulling in views any way they can.

Sorry, not sorry about the tangential rant. :D

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
I dont think the bus width is the main issue here, the main problems are the cut down media block, the name (this should have been called RX6400XT, but hey, a RX6400 at $200 would have look really bad), and price (this shouldnt have never be a $200 MSRP GPU).

The bus width just tells you that this GPU is designed to be used in low end notebooks with cheap PCBs as the GP108 is (that will eventually get replaced). The desktop application obviously suffers from this, but again, if this was a $100-125 gpu max no one would say anything.

This gpu is going to have severe issues with modern rendering techniques that will be using a lot more from now on, thats what SHadow of the Tomb Raider and Doom Eternal uses. To the point that the desktop RMB 12CU IGP may outperform it in those titles. Remember that, RMB has 8GB VRAM with up to 112GB/s whiout bandwidth limits. Same way that Vega 8/11 IGPs can outperform a 112GB/s RX550 in several titles with less than half that bandwidth.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
https://www.proshop.dk/Grafikkort/PowerColor-Radeon-RX-6500-XT-ITX-4GB-GDDR6-RAM-Grafikkort/3032053

In stock. 1990DKK (incl. 25% VAT. Effectively MSRP) / 3 day delivery. You were saying?

I was looking for the mythical $200 USD MSRP. This stems from my previous comment stating "That $200 MSRP is as theoretical as the $250 MSRP for the RTX 3050."

Your link is $245 USD excluding VAT (over $300 including VAT), and it doesn't actually appear in stock. and doesn't appear if I go to the graphics cards page if I choose any of the in stock options.

There is no "add to cart button", instead there is a "add notification button" that states:

Due to extreme demand and lack of this item, we do not currently accept orders.
Instead, use the "Receive Notification" feature and you will receive an email when the item is available.
We cannot provide details of expected availability.
We will send you an email as soon as the product becomes available for ordering (This is NOT an order or reservation)

You can also sign up for notification on the ~$270 USD (before VAT) RTX 3050...

Last edited:

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
You're missing the point of the button. That button is there to prevent scalpers. You -can- actually order every day at 2PM, if you sign up for a notification.

And they're watching your order history. Again to prevent scalpers.

Missing the point of some secret system I wasn't supposed to be aware of? Does this mean you have a shot at $270 USD RTX 3050 as well?

Still not $200 USD.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Why is there so much hate for the 6500xt?

Because it's a budget card that tanks on PCIE-3.0 and likely most people on tight budgets are still on PCIE-3.0. Anyone with a B450 board for Ryzen or an Intel system 10th generation or before is on PCIE-3.0 and this card is terrible for them. And it's not a $200 card, it's a $280 card. Just because the rest of the market sucks doesn't make this crappy card a winner, better to just buy nothing and hope ethereum goes proof of stake in 4 months.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Haha, so we can just agree that the lowest priced, new, gamer marketed GPU is the only one available in its price bracket and is regrettably not faster?

Seriously, when has this not been the case? Now the threshold is somewharound $200 instead or $100. The lowest end SKUs are always cut too close to the bone.

The Polaris glut was an aberration we will likely only see again if crypto mining dies when the current cards are even still relevant.

This is like a thread from three years ago belaboring the existence of the 1030 or something.

If that was what you could afford then, that’s what you got.

All the rest is noise. You want a capable (high settings, min 60 fps 1080) for now and the near term? Budget $500 for a new GPU. If you score something cheaper, kudos to you.

dr1337

May 25, 2020
Still not $200 USD.
Still cheaper than a 1650 or 1050ti and much faster in gaming. I hate the current situation of this market too but bro come on, you've spent pretty much this entire thread seething about the 6500xt when its literally not even the worst value out there. Yeah its a terrible gimped card and only two outputs really irks me. Regardless, I can't see any reality where I would want to pay the same or more money for half the performance. 6500xt cant be $200 until cards worse than it stop selling for more than that.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
All the rest is noise. You want a capable (high settings, min 60 fps 1080) for now and the near term? Budget $500 for a new GPU. If you score something cheaper, kudos to you.
I picked up an RTX 2060 12GB for $489 last night @ Newegg.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeea and blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
You actually got hold of one of those? Congrats.

Consider keeping it around. The novelty value might be worth something to a collector eventually.

They've been in stock at my local MC for over a week at $480, the 6GB was there at $440 for quite a time too by todays standards. They started with 25+ and quickly it was down to ~14 and slowly, like a couple per day leave.

Never mind me checking on them daily ;)

Man, gone now. But they do have gigantic 3060 (TRIPLE FAAANS!!!) in stock at $500, along with a bunch of 6600's at $460.

@Whirlwind It's a 2060 Super core with a 2060 Memory bus. So... a lot like a 3060? :) I am sure for 1080p it crushes and and probably does fine with 2k resolutions if you bother tweak out settings on per game basis.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
All ive learned from this thread is that I need an Etch-A-Sketch and a time machine. One to be better than my current IGP and the other to go either back in time and buy some GPU at msrp, or go into the future when mining has ended.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
All ive learned from this thread is that I need an Etch-A-Sketch and a time machine. One to be better than my current IGP and the other to go either back in time and buy some GPU at msrp, or go into the future when mining has ended.

I'm considering going iGPU only going forward for old games, and if I feel the need for new games, getting a console. Or maybe I might finally try a Mac. Maybe with their new powerful iGPUs, they will start getting a few decent ports, or maybe WinARM for Mac will bring some games running acceptably in emulation.

Anything but rewarding all the price gouging and scalping scum.

Everyone likes to finger point at Miners, but it's really the tip of the iceberg here. The whole retail chain plus scalpers are a big entrenched factor now. Check newegg for cards. They have thousands of them. All at scalper prices.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
I suspect that Rembrandt, when it hits the desktop, will provide very usable 1080p gaming performance. It should have access to desktop DDR5 memory, which should clock above the limited DDR5-4800 that their mobile platform is specified for. With higher power limits and better cooling capacity, coupled with the ability to have more than 4GB of VRAM (looking at you 6400/6500xt), I see no reason that it will not play well at 1080p.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I suspect that Rembrandt, when it hits the desktop, will provide very usable 1080p gaming performance. It should have access to desktop DDR5 memory, which should clock above the limited DDR5-4800 that their mobile platform is specified for. With higher power limits and better cooling capacity, coupled with the ability to have more than 4GB of VRAM (looking at you 6400/6500xt), I see no reason that it will not play well at 1080p.

Actually Mobile LPDDR5 should come in at 5500 if not 6400 bps. Apple M1Pro chips already support LPDDR5-6400.

It should be half decent 1080p gaming. Steamdeck is a good preview. You will most likely need to turn down settings.

But AMD has shown they are pricing to what the market will bear, so I expect they will be expensive, and a long wait until all the laptop OEMs are saturated until you can buy them for desktop usage.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Actually Mobile LPDDR5 should come in at 5500 if not 6400 bps. Apple M1Pro chips already support LPDDR5-6400.

It should be half decent 1080p gaming. Steamdeck is a good preview. You will most likely need to turn down settings.

But AMD has shown they are pricing to what the market will bear, so I expect they will be expensive, and a long wait until all the laptop OEMs are saturated until you can buy them for desktop usage.

It will be lower performance vs RX6500XT even with DDR5 6400 dual channel.
Top SKU (12 CUs) should be between GTX1050Ti and GTX1650.
For an APU yes it will be great, depending on the APU price, platform price and DDR5 prices and availability.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011

No the time machine is so you can go to the future after the bust to buy future GPUs at reduced prices and travel back to before the boom started and mine with those GPUs, or at least compete against the other people who already will have done the same.

Also don't try to go back and kill Hitler or anything like that. He's actually the guy that makes Germany lose because the other 37 more competent leaders have already been eliminated, even though you wouldn't remember any of that. Watch out for terminators and stay away from your grandmother. Otherwise happy travels.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Watch out for terminators and stay away from your grandmother. Otherwise happy travels.
Everyone forgets the really important stuff - e.g. getting vaxed like you are a world explorer, and bring a life straw.

Reviews for the Sapphire Pulse at Newegg from actual users, differ from big reviews, curious ;) https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-rad...16814202412?IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

A few derp cons being mentioned. Hey dummy complaining about the bus and 4GB; why do you think you were able to buy it for that price, or even be able to buy it readily, at all?

Owe Steve a bit of an apology though. One user did indeed use it to upgrade from 5600G so that scenario does happen.

Reactions: VirtualLarry
Jul 27, 2020
No the time machine is so you can go to the future after the bust to buy future GPUs at reduced prices and travel back to before the boom started and mine with those GPUs, or at least compete against the other people who already will have done the same.
Drivers will probably limit the period to 5 years into the future. Maybe after that, it requires an upgraded/updated OS? Imagine freaking out AMD/Intel/nVidia with a post on their support forums about some issue with a GPU that hasn't even taped out yet and is just a speck on their roadmap.