Discussion Radeon 6500XT and 6400

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Just getting a thread up for this. Navi 24 will ride... Q1 2022... ish.

I fugure the 6500XT lands ~5500XT territory for ~$200.

Reactions: Tlh97

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
It's not about defending AMD or bashing Nvidia or the other way around. If your are about to build a new pc now - as I am - the 6500xt is the best option available for this price. I don't like that. But the main problem are miners. If a new card would have the features we want, it would be more expensive to buy - as the 3050 is, LHR didn't help. :-( I don't care for MSRP in reviews. MSRP was a valid number 3 years ago, but isn't anymore. Look at the 5500xt. It's about 350€ used on ebay. The market is crazy. And I don't care, what name they give a card. If they would have named the 6500xt 6300 instead and gave it an MSRP of 150$ you would pay about the same as now, because every hand inbetween would just get a little richer. I am not defending any product, but I am also not living in a dream world. Sorry for the rant.
Don't apologize, you are dead on the money, and all they have left is to risk breaking forum rules with spurious accusations.

Reactions: Thibsie

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I remember. The choice was more of a trust issue over drivers back then. Nvidia won most comparisons on that alone for the average gamer. But after nearly 6yrs, and a newer Nvidia card in the same price bracket, it is deranged behavior.

There were plenty of people at the time that thought the argument over drivers was dubious at best and in hindsight I think those driver concerns turned out to be bogus.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
There were plenty of people at the time that thought the argument over drivers was dubious at best and in hindsight I think those driver concerns turned out to be bogus.
Indeed. The use of average gamer was intended to imply those not as involved in the hobby as many in forums like this are. 470 4GB and 580 8GB were both rock solid for me. And the freesync support before Nvidia capitulated with gsync compatibility made them unbeatable values at the time, imo.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Because it's a piece of junk.

It's literally worse than generation before(5500XT), in every way .

I suspect the same people defending the 6500xt would never stop complaining if the this were NVidia releasing a 3060 that was actually worse than the 2060 in every way. But they just feel a need to defend AMD no matter what they do.

If they released an 8 gig PCIE x8 version, it would likely be faster than the 5500XT. However, pricing is an issue, and from what AMD has stated regarding these chips being designed to go with Rembrandt, these cards are clearly using rejected silicon. AMD cares little about this product. It serves a niche, and it is still seeing strong sell-through, despite poor reviews.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
It's not about defending AMD or bashing Nvidia or the other way around. If your are about to build a new pc now - as I am - the 6500xt is the best option available for this price. I don't like that. But the main problem are miners. If a new card would have the features we want, it would be more expensive to buy - as the 3050 is, LHR didn't help. :-( I don't care for MSRP in reviews. MSRP was a valid number 3 years ago, but isn't anymore. Look at the 5500xt. It's about 350€ used on ebay. The market is crazy. And I don't care, what name they give a card. If they would have named the 6500xt 6300 instead and gave it an MSRP of 150$ you would pay about the same as now, because every hand inbetween would just get a little richer. I am not defending any product, but I am also not living in a dream world. Sorry for the rant.

Other 5500xt/3050 aren't higher just because of miners, but because they are just better cards.

The only thing AMD succeeded at here was making a card so terrible, and price gouging enough on their own that it sells closer to MSRP than other cards.

Yipee.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
What if it were actually available @ $199? Would you choose it then, if GTX 1050 ti 4GB and GTX 1650 D6 4GB were $300? If they were $200?

It actually is available @ MSRP here. You can actually buy it too. Don't ask how.

If you need a half way budget card, it's your only new option. Rest are used.

The card you can buy trumps the one you can't buy.

Jul 27, 2020
Or someone at AMD could have a lightbulb moment and say, "WOW! If gamers are willing to come to us, we can sell directly to them and pocket the whole profit without the middlemen. Cha-ching!".

Seriously, hope some Youtuber sees this post and embarks on a journey to AMD's campus :D

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Indulge me, I'd like to know the next option under the 6500XT in the current US market.
GT 1030 and GT 730 4GB DDR5. You knew that. Probably knew the detractors were not going to answer that either. maddie would though. Because it is further illustrative of the 6500XT being the best bang for buck. It even sits above the 1060 6GB and 580 4GB on TPU's relative performance charts; the best used cards you can readily get for around the same money. And the average selling price here in the U.S. is $70 lower than TPU speculated it would be at launch, i.e. $350.

The Sapphire Pulse 6500XT has been in stock twice now at Newegg, where I could have added it to cart. Price after tax&shipping to Fl. would have been $253. There isn't anything other than the slower DDR5 1650's and 1050ti's near that low of a price, I could add to cart the last year. It merks both those cards.

As I continue to belabor the point for emphasis, it is the best sub $300 card you can readily get right now. Everything else negative said about it, true or not, amounts to entirely irrelevant fantasy stat nonsense, for someone building a budget gamer on this day 2/7/2022.

But I am enjoying all the whinging. As my homie from Warhammer 2, Thorgrim Grudgebearer says "It goes in the book!" :D

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Literally 2 posts above yours.

Insert_Nickname

"It actually is available @ MSRP here. You can actually buy it too. Don't ask how.

The card you can buy trumps the one you can't buy."
It is a testament to how well the hatchet job on this GPU has worked; thank the flying spaghetti monster.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Everything else negative said about it, true or not, amounts to entirely irrelevant fantasy stat nonsense, for someone building a budget gamer on this day 2/7/2022.

Just so long as people apply that to say, performance/watt opinions. It matters until all of a sudden it doesn't and amnesia occurs. A lot of this argument is dealing with the fact that majority who might want something new for their pci-e 3.0 system, its a bad card unless you're desperate. If you're building a new budget system, its an intel i3/i5 and a 6500xt. Sad as that is.

I'm also seeing a lot of sub $200 gtx 1060 6gb cards on ebay at the moment.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
GT 1030 and GT 730 4GB DDR5. You knew that.
No, I didn't "know" that. I'm from EU, with somewhat limited understanding of the retail experience in US other than quickly checking Newegg or Amazon. FYI the 6500XT is much more expensive in my area, although that doesn't change it's relative standing versus the 6600 and the 3050. The skewed prices look different bellow the 6500XT, as the 1050ti and 1650 can be a bit cheaper. From what I understand, the reverse is true in the US.

I think one of the reasons we're having such a clash in opinions is local pricing. The best example I can give you to show the difference in perceived spending effort is that for the local price of a 6500XT I can effectively buy a 5700G APU.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Literally 2 posts above yours.

Insert_Nickname

"It actually is available @ MSRP here. You can actually buy it too. Don't ask how.

The card you can buy trumps the one you can't buy."

That's not a link. Does it show up as a link for other people? Because it's just plain text on my end.

Edit: Image of the original post as it appears on my end. Mouse hovering over "here". I even did a reply to this post to see the original text and there is no link in in the edit window either, even if toggle off the BB Code. This is just 100% plain text on my end:
NotLink.jpg

Is there a link that is somehow getting filtered or am I just supposed to know where "here" is?

Last edited:
Reactions: AnitaPeterson