Radeon 5850 Power Connectors

Murst

Apr 29, 2004
Hi,

I have an ECS P55H motherboard and it has a power connector next to the primary PCI express slot. The manual states that this is so that the graphics card has more power.

I also have a Radeon 5850, which itself has two power connectors.

Do I need to hook up all 3 power connectors for the graphics card to work on this motherboard? Or just the two on the graphics card?

Also, should I run a different line from the PSU for each of these connectors? Or does it not make a difference? ( it is an OCZ ModXstreme 700W - I'm not sure if that matters or not )

Thanks!

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
It just provides an additional power source for the pci-e bus. ECS doesn't state that it is needed but seems to say it won't hurt to plug it in. Many of the new boards are sticking an SATA power connector on the board instead of molex.

PS: You must plug in the power to the video card (or it won't function at all.) I assume all three should be ok.

Murst

Apr 29, 2004
Cool, thx.

I'll prob end up hooking up all 3 then. I just wanted to see if there are any known issues with "too much" power for a card if I were to plug in all 3.

The last time I built a system was prob 5-6 years ago, and I never came across this GPU power issue back then :)

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Murst
Cool, thx.

I'll prob end up hooking up all 3 then. I just wanted to see if there are any known issues with "too much" power for a card if I were to plug in all 3.

The last time I built a system was prob 5-6 years ago, and I never came across this GPU power issue back then :)

No such thing as too much POWER!!!!

I actually haven't come across this yet on motherboards, I have seen ones with them, but not actually owned or worked on one that has it. But yes, plugging in the 3 connectors shouldn't be a problem.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
My MSI K9A2 Platinum has a molex on the mobo that is used for providing extra PCI-E slot power. It has four PCI-E x16 slots, so it needs all the power that it can get! I have it configured with four 9600GSO single-slot cards, for running F@H.

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
My Gf's Jetway HA07-Ultra motherboard for her Phenom 9950 X4 has a 24pin molex, 8pin AUX, and 4pin molex, the 4pin being to feed the PCI-E slots of which it has w x16 and 2 x1.