Radeon 5570 install, no DVD now

liam1027ncfp

May 13, 2010
I have an HTPC that consists of the following:

785gm motherboard
hauppauge 2250 HD tuner
Radeon 5570 video card

For the past few months, I was using the onboard hd4200 which worked great. I bought the 5570 to get HD audio over HDMI and now WMC is all messed up.

After installing Catalyst and latest ATI drivers, WMC would cut out audio occasionally while switching channels. More importantly, playback of DTV files and DVDs would crash WMC. I can not even play DVDs in Cyberlink anymore.

I googled around for a bit and found MCDU which turned out to be a bust, but the windows 7 codec pack which also includes ffdshow seems promising. I have been able to restore TV and DTV playback, but still no DVD or Bluray. FFDShow is also complicated. I do not really understand exactly how to set it up.

Using the older HD4200, I had no trouble at all. Bluray, DVD, TV, MKV, etc all worked fine right out of the box with MS codecs and hardware decoders. Now i upgrade to a more powerful card and things are fubar.

Did i do something wrong? Is there an easy solution to this?

Orbs

Mar 25, 2004
Hi. I'm thinking of using a 5570 as my video/audio solution so I can play BluRay movies at 1080p with uncompressed audio.

I was wondering if all audio will go over the HDMI cable from the video card or if I also need to enable motherboard audio and have a second (optical/coax) output to my receiver for things like music/youtube, etc.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Ideally, I'd like all audio to go over the HDMI cable so I don't have to adjust receiver input just for a different medium from the same component.

Thanks!