Radeon 16.9.1 driver - monitor won't wake up intermittently?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I have a sneaking suspicion that there's a problem with the Radeon 16.9.1 driver. I updated to it Monday last week, and since then I've been getting a problem whereby when the monitor is told to go to sleep, then when I try to wake it back up I have to pull its power before it gives me the proper display.

I've been getting the problem more often to the point today where it happened several times in a row. Initially I thought I needed a new monitor, but then I noticed that I could access the monitor's menu system while it was in the borked state.

Since then I've rolled back to the 16-7-2 driver and the monitor has come out to standby every time successfully.

My monitor is connected via DVI in case that's a point in common.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've had some similar problems with my overclocked G4400 @ 4.45Ghz (otherwise seems stable?), and 7950 3GB GDDR5 card, Windows 10 1607 64-bit Home, with the 16.9.1 Hotfix drivers. Was previously running 16.7.3 and was pretty stable. I'm running VSR too, to make my 1080P monitor act like 1440P on the desktop.

I've noticed my USB gaming mouse doesn't bring me out of monitor sleep mode too, I have to now hit my USB keyboard's SHIFT key to wake things up.

But there was one time, about a week ago, that neither the USB mouse nor keyboard would wake it up, even unplugging and re-plugging them didn't help.

Had to hit hardware RESET button.

Edit: I'm connected via HDMI, to a 24" HDTV / monitor, that hasn't given me much trouble otherwise.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I have a sneaking suspicion that there's a problem with the Radeon 16.9.1 driver. I updated to it Monday last week, and since then I've been getting a problem whereby when the monitor is told to go to sleep, then when I try to wake it back up I have to pull its power before it gives me the proper display.

I've been getting the problem more often to the point today where it happened several times in a row. Initially I thought I needed a new monitor, but then I noticed that I could access the monitor's menu system while it was in the borked state.

Since then I've rolled back to the 16-7-2 driver and the monitor has come out to standby every time successfully.

My monitor is connected via DVI in case that's a point in common.
Same prob here. There 2d driver is immature even for a new product.

Piroko

Jan 10, 2013
The 16.9.2 driver has a standby related fix, did anyone of you retest that one?

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Can your PC wake up the monitor when the PC itself comes out of sleep mode? I returned my RX480 for a similar problem -- the computer would wake up from sleep mode and only display a black screen. It alternated between being frozen and apparently working behind the black screen. I went with a 1060 to solve the problem but really wanted to keep the 480. I wonder if the 16.9.2 drivers pointed out fix the issue.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Since reverting drivers I haven't had any problems with the monitor waking up. Before 16.9.1 I didn't have sleep or monitor wake problems. With 16.9.1 I don't think I had any sleep wake problems, just monitor wake.

The 16.9.2 driver has a standby related fix, did anyone of you retest that one?

I haven't tried 16.9.2 - does it actually list a standby issue that it has fixed? If so, I'll probably try it.

Last edited:

Piroko

Jan 10, 2013
Well, it only lists
  • HDMI® Audio may be lost after resuming from standby on Windows 10 Anniversary Edition.
...but chances are with Windows that this fixes more than just that specific issue :sweatsmile:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
So since my last post, the monitor and (16.7.2) driver have been acting fine... until today. This afternoon it did it repeatedly and consistently, so I started testing.

I have a near-identical monitor available, so I started by switching monitors. Same problem, though made worse by the fact that the second monitor doesn't get the display back even after pulling its power and plugging it back in again. I'm testing my main monitor with another PC for the time being (which seems to be working fine).

I had to switch the computer off and back on again in order to get the display back, and interestingly the display returned on the 'shutting down' screen.

I upgraded to the 16-9-2 drivers and tested again, it seems to be working fine at the moment. I'm not sure what to make of this problem.