Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.5.1 (WHQL June 10)

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007

Article Number
RN-RAD-WIN-20-5-1
Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.5.1 Highlights
Support For

• Windows® May 2020 Update
  • AMD Link
    • Brand new AMD Link Xinput Emulation driver (AMDXE), which will improve compatibility with current and future games. This gets installed the first time game streaming starts with AMD Link and will appear as a new Xbox 360 controller in Device Manager.
Fixed Issues
  • Radeon Software may experience a crash or hang on Hybrid Graphics system configurations.
  • On a limited number of displays, launching a game may lead to an intermittent black screen that requires a system reboot to resolve.
  • Fixed an issue where AMD Link may experience random or intermittent disconnects.
  • When performing a task switch, Destiny™2 may experience an application hang or black screen.
  • Overwatch™ may experience an intermittent crash or black screen when joining a match.
  • Incorrect memory clocks may be reported in performance metrics overlay on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products.
  • Some Hybrid Graphics system configurations with Radeon RX 5500 series graphics products may experience a blue screen on driver installation.
  • High memory usage may be experienced when Instant Replay and Desktop Recording is enabled on a system and a display on the system has timed out or gone to sleep.
  • A TDR or black screen may occur when running the Vulkan test from Geekbench™5.
  • Hitching may be observed in League of Legends™ on some system configurations after performing a task switch.
  • Sniper Elite™4 may minimize when invoking Radeon Software’s overlay.
  • The standard profile in Radeon Software may become applied when the gaming profile is clicked on numerous times in quick succession.
  • Lighting corruption may be seen when moving your mouse in Grand Theft Auto™5 with Radeon Boost enabled.
  • Texture corruption may be seen in the bottom right corner of the screen when moving your mouse in Shadow of the Tomb Raider™ with Radeon Boost enabled.
  • Red Dead Redemption™2 may fail to launch in some Hybrid Graphics system configurations.
  • Memory Tuning may fail to apply on AMD Radeon VII graphics products.
  • “Unable to get requirements” error message may sometimes be displayed in the Upgrade Advisor tab.
  • GPU metrics may sometimes fail to load in the performance tab of Radeon Software.
  • Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order™ and Control™ may experience application hangs when launched with Radeon Anti-Lag enabled.
Known Issues
  • Radeon RX Vega Series and Radeon VII graphics products may experience performance drops when Performance Metrics Overlay is open while a game is running.
  • Some game titles may experience hitching when Instant Replay is enabled on Radeon RX 5000 series system configurations.
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
  • Using Edge™ web browser to playback video content with a multi display system configuration may cause a system hang or crash after extended periods of use.
  • Performance Metrics Overlay and Radeon WattMan incorrectly report higher than expected idle clock speeds on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products. Performance and power consumption are not impacted by this incorrect reporting.
  • Some games may exhibit stutter intermittently during gameplay on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
  • Radeon RX Vega series graphics products may experience a system crash or TDR when performing multiple task switches using Alt+Tab.
  • Desktop or In-game corruption may occur intermittently when HDR is enabled.
  • Some users may still experience black screen or system hang issues during extended periods of gameplay. AMD will continue to monitor and investigate reports of these issues closely.
Important Notes
  • AMD Ryzen™ Mobile Processors with Radeon™ Vega Graphics FAQ for Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition can be found here.
Package Contents
The Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.5.1 installation package contains the following:
  • Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.10.17.01 Driver Version 20.10 (Windows Driver Store Version 27.20.1017.1011)

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
These drivers are the fastest yet on my Radeon VII. I'm pushing just a tad under 28,000 for a graphics score in Firestrike. They are 2.4% faster than 20.2.2 stability drivers.

Reactions: Feld

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Good to see new drivers + fixed bugs. For those who care, is this WHQL?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
these are not WHQL as far as i know... 20.4.2 got bumped up to WHQL a few days ago

won't install this one until I update to 2004, but I'm still testing the previous drivers to see if Teams will still crash (it still was as of yesterday)

Feld

Aug 6, 2015
These drivers are the fastest yet on my Radeon VII. I'm pushing just a tad under 28,000 for a graphics score in Firestrike. They are 2.4% faster than 20.2.2 stability drivers.
Do they allow you to overclock your Radeon VII and adjust voltage?

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I am not certain, but it is listed that memory tuning on the VII is now applying when broken before. I will try these on my Vega 64, see how they look.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Do they allow you to overclock your Radeon VII and adjust voltage?

Manual memory overclocking works. Manual GPU OC also works. Make sure you are increasing the power tuning not just setting higher frequency and voltage. Without additional power tuning the chip will still act like stock.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
I wonder, WHEN AMD fixes high power draw in multi-monitor setups. About the only thing I hate about AMD graphics cards these days.

Last edited:

Feld

Aug 6, 2015
Manual memory overclocking works. Manual GPU OC also works. Make sure you are increasing the power tuning not just setting higher frequency and voltage. Without additional power tuning the chip will still act like stock.
Awesome, I'll give it a try then. Thanks.

Feld

Aug 6, 2015
Didn't work for me. I removed the old drivers in safe mode with DDU, then rebooted and installed the new ones. Rebooted again. Tried the same OC I had been running on the year old drivers with +20% power limit, and under load the GPU clock speed will not go over 1620 MHz. Attempting to overclock literally results in the driver forcing a 180 MHz underclock instead.

Back to the 19.5.2 drivers now and running 1950 MHz no problem with identical settings.

Attachments

• wont oc.png
    wont oc.png
    131.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Deleted post removed.

Why is this surprising?

AMD's driver's stopped supporting Win8/8.1 some time ago, due to lack of market share and R&D priorities, and Win7 64-bit was EOL'ed, so that leaves... Win10 !

Plus, the 20.5.1 are the first WDDM 2.7 drivers, which requires Win10 anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Just an FYI, but anyone using this driver with OverdriveNTool needs to update to the beta 29.1 since the old 28.0 release won't work due to one changed filename.

I haven't tried using Radeon Settings/Software to OC via Wattman on Radeon VII but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

edit: trying Radeon Settings real quick, it looks like the Blender/GPGPU bug is still there: the GPU clockspeed drops to ~1650 MHz if I use anything other than 1801 MHz GPU clock. But if I re-apply my OC settings during the compute run, it'll stick just fine. As soon as I begin a new workload, it drops to 1650 MHz again . . . I get the same behavior out of OverclockNTool as well. OCNTool just makes it easier to re-apply settings on the fly.

edit edit: I'm sorry to say that my Radeon VII still will not overclock with Radeon Settings/Software. Superposition dropped to 1610MHz GPU clock when I had Radeon Software set up for a 1950 MHz OC @ stock voltage. OverdriveNTool saved the day, enabling me to overclock without any problems (didn't have to reset the OC during the run or anything like that).

The only thing I can't seem to fix with OverdriveNTool is FireStrike Graphics Test 2, which always downclocks. If I try to alt-tab to re-apply OC settings, 3DMark freaks out (it doesn't like alt-tabs).

@Feld

I have the same problem as you, but I'm using the current driver with OverdriveNTool to get around it.

Last edited:

Feld

Aug 6, 2015
Just an FYI, but anyone using this driver with OverdriveNTool needs to update to the beta 29.1 since the old 28.0 release won't work due to one changed filename.

I haven't tried using Radeon Settings/Software to OC via Wattman on Radeon VII but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

edit: trying Radeon Settings real quick, it looks like the Blender/GPGPU bug is still there: the GPU clockspeed drops to ~1650 MHz if I use anything other than 1801 MHz GPU clock. But if I re-apply my OC settings during the compute run, it'll stick just fine. As soon as I begin a new workload, it drops to 1650 MHz again . . . I get the same behavior out of OverclockNTool as well. OCNTool just makes it easier to re-apply settings on the fly.

edit edit: I'm sorry to say that my Radeon VII still will not overclock with Radeon Settings/Software. Superposition dropped to 1610MHz GPU clock when I had Radeon Software set up for a 1950 MHz OC @ stock voltage. OverdriveNTool saved the day, enabling me to overclock without any problems (didn't have to reset the OC during the run or anything like that).

The only thing I can't seem to fix with OverdriveNTool is FireStrike Graphics Test 2, which always downclocks. If I try to alt-tab to re-apply OC settings, 3DMark freaks out (it doesn't like alt-tabs).

@Feld

I have the same problem as you, but I'm using the current driver with OverdriveNTool to get around it.
Thanks for all the confirmation. Do you have to do any registry/power play table modification, or is OverdriveNTool alone all it takes?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Thanks for all the confirmation. Do you have to do any registry/power play table modification, or is OverdriveNTool alone all it takes?

I'm using MorePowerTool to enable +50% power limit and RAM speed of 1235 MHz (max stable for my card using default timings). I also enabled voltage up to 1250 mV though I rarely go that high.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
So I have 20.5.1 installed on my 5700 XT system, and Windows Update is giving me this message along the lines of "The Windows 2020.04 update has been released, but your PC is not ready for it to be installed. There's nothing you need to do right now, we'll let you know when the update is ready." Anyone else getting this?

Rigg

May 6, 2020
Didn't work for me. I removed the old drivers in safe mode with DDU, then rebooted and installed the new ones. Rebooted again. Tried the same OC I had been running on the year old drivers with +20% power limit, and under load the GPU clock speed will not go over 1620 MHz. Attempting to overclock literally results in the driver forcing a 180 MHz underclock instead.

Back to the 19.5.2 drivers now and running 1950 MHz no problem with identical settings.

Are you guys on water? My Radeon VII was doing the 1650 mhz thing after updating to 20.5.1 and was able to fix it by enabling fan tuning and enabling advanced control.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Are you guys on water? My Radeon VII was doing the 1650 mhz thing after updating to 20.5.1 and was able to fix it by enabling fan tuning and enabling advanced control.

Yeah. The fan control trick has never consistently worked for me. Adding fuel to the fire, I tried disabling Radeon Overlay and that caused the bug to hit hard, even when using OverdriveNTool (I need to experiment with it more).

I can retry the fan trick when I get the urge to fool with it again. AMD seems to have put fixing this issue far on the back burner.

Reactions: Rigg

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
So I have 20.5.1 installed on my 5700 XT system, and Windows Update is giving me this message along the lines of "The Windows 2020.04 update has been released, but your PC is not ready for it to be installed. There's nothing you need to do right now, we'll let you know when the update is ready." Anyone else getting this?
From what I have heard, it is still a buggy mess and is not ready for release for most people. It says that on my 1080Ti/3700X system.

Reactions: Red Hawk

Feld

Aug 6, 2015
Yep, we both have our cards water cooled. On previous drivers that trick didn't work for me, so I didn't think to try it again on these latest drivers. I may give it a try again later, thanks for reminding me.

Reactions: Rigg

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I tried setting fans to 100% at all temp points but it still doesn't help. It'll either downclock straight out of the gate, or in the case of Firestrike, it'll downclock from graphics test 2 onward. Depending on how I tweak things. That second problem (Firestrike) can't be fixed by the use of third-party software either.

Rigg

May 6, 2020
I tried setting fans to 100% at all temp points but it still doesn't help. It'll either downclock straight out of the gate, or in the case of Firestrike, it'll downclock from graphics test 2 onward. Depending on how I tweak things. That second problem (Firestrike) can't be fixed by the use of third-party software either.
Weird. It works fine for me. I didn't touch the curves. Literally all I did was enable fan tuning and advanced control.

Rigg

May 6, 2020
Just tested Firestrike and.........put up the #1 score with a 3600/Radeon VII combo. LOL.....It's the second time I've even run that benchmark.

Top Score.PNG

Reactions: FaaR

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Weird. It works fine for me. I didn't touch the curves. Literally all I did was enable fan tuning and advanced control.

Hmm. Okay now it's working? Apparently I tried using OverdriveNTool this time around to set fans to 100% but that didn't take. You have to do it through Radeon Software. I have more applications to try out to see if I can get it to induce undesirable underclocking - notably GPGPU stuff.

Gotta tinker with it more. Got a graphics score of 32158 in FireStrike which is actually pretty good. Not sure why your combined score is so high. Mine is 9363.

edit: GPGPU is still broken. Initiating a GPGPU workload like Blender immediately downclocks the GPU (in Blender's case, to 1725 MHz or so). If I tweak one minor setting in Radeon Software and Apply settings, the settings take for the entire benchmark run.

AIDA64 GPGPU is less overclock-friendly in this situation. I can apply settings all I want - it's going to downclock whenever it begins a new step of the benchmark.

Other benchmarks and games seem to be behaving - for now.

Last edited:

Rigg

May 6, 2020
Hmm. Okay now it's working? Apparently I tried using OverdriveNTool this time around to set fans to 100% but that didn't take. You have to do it through Radeon Software. I have more applications to try out to see if I can get it to induce undesirable underclocking - notably GPGPU stuff.

Gotta tinker with it more. Got a graphics score of 32158 in FireStrike which is actually pretty good. Not sure why your combined score is so high. Mine is 9363.
Just did a 32565.