Racist Disney fans mocked for claiming 'science proves mermaids can't be black'

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 11, 2004
No. But when oil and water are mixed, it creates a immiscible mixture. They are together but each retain their own identity.
When sugar and water are mixed, you no longer have sugar or water.

The former is multiculturalism done right.
The second is the equivalency of the Borg Collective of Human culture as envisioned by the left. I have no desire to be a drone to the global agenda of 1 world race, 1 world culture, 1 world government.
Globalism is fundamentally evil.

This might be the most ignorant post I've ever read on this forum.

FYI, I hope you realize conservatives are the ones that pushed globalism (especially the globalism leading to the issues that you're raging about, like refugees fleeing war torn homelands). They're the ones always trying to start wars, making their imperial chickens come home to roost. Granted I'm sure you have more of a "kill 'em all" mentality when it comes to things like that, but you need to take ownership for your role in the things you hate so much.

I'm not even going to bother pointing out the basic flawed logic elsewhere, you're simply too stupid to understand and it would thus be a lost cause.

Reactions: Meghan54

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Well, in a monarchy, when royalty takes a bride from another kingdom they probably get to skip all the immigration stuff.

Dammit, commoners are under-represented in fairy tales! Real royalty is quite annoying enough, we don't need more fictional ones!

The turning of Robin Hood into a disinherited aristocrat (when he started off as a peasant in the earlier version of the myth) was an early example of the rewriting of stories to fit political fashion. That's one that needs to be reversed!

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Your first goal in life should be to stop believing the lies of those who claim to want multiculturalism (which should be that cultures are allowed to co-exist, but maintain their own distinct identity) when their real agenda is a new uni-race, uni-culture population, Beginning with the policies they are trying to enact to bring about the extinction of white CIS Christian culture they view as evil and a roadblock to their utopia.

I feel slackerinabox has the right idea when someone is so 'out there', but I still can't help but ask - where does this conspiracy-theory paranoia come from?

What do you think 'they' (whoever they are, I presume it's the usual suspects, those guys who are so keen on their protocols) are trying to achieve with this mermaid-based conspiracy?

What do you think "white CIS Christian culture" is, and where do you think that 'culture' came from in the first place and what role 'globalisation' played in creating it.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
It wasn’t a book. It was a short fairy tale included in a collection of fairy tales. Like virtually any old fairy tale it has been reinterpreted and illustrated differently again and again. You’re latching on to one old interpretation in an attempt to justify your opposition to a new one, but that’s not how things work.

How did you feel about Disney’s Princess and the Frog reinterpreting that one as a New Orleans tale with a black lead character? Personally, I loved it... despite having an intense dislike for Randy Newman. He actually fit this pretty well since it was New Orleans.
By setting the story in New Orleans, the racial and narrative aspects of the reinterpretation worked very well, as did the music. Ariel is an iconic character, independent and distinct from mermaid mythos.

What do you think the reaction would have been if Disney decided to recast Lando Calrissian with a charismatic Asian actor?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Man you are extremely obsessed with this. Wake up in the morning to google and see if you can find racist stuff each day. Whatever, we all have our hobbies and interests. But you’re finding this weird crap and ascribing it to the entirety of the evil that you think is "The Right". Maybe relax and actually go talk to people that have differing opinions than yourself. And don’t go into it try to battle them and thinking yourself as superior, just simply talk. I think you’ll find they don’t all care about black mermaids or whatever else you can find. The both sides mess doesn’t really work because when you talk to a lot of them you realize there’s way more sides than two.

I believe OP is a black man, so "Obsessed" is much less appropriate than "Responding to the things that I face every day." These are things that you don't understand and really have no hope to understand so long as you focus all of your bizarre obsessions on what some transgender person on the other side of the world and that you have never met has done to you. Oh, and your apparent obsessive jealousy regarding all of those teachers raping kids.

In other words: fuck the fuck off, dickhole.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
By setting the story in New Orleans, the racial and narrative aspects of the reinterpretation worked very well, as did the music. Ariel is an iconic character, independent and distinct from mermaid mythos.

What do you think the reaction would have been if Disney decided to recast Lando Calrissian with a charismatic Asian actor?

Myths and Fairy tales have been translocated across land and cultures for generation after generation. This "issue" is just preposterous nonsense.

Can we not simply agree to dismiss the lunatic ravings of a proud group of anti-science racist ultra right assholes rather than fall into the same tribal need to defend even a fraction of what we may see as "our own?" Can you do that at least once?

Nov 8, 2012
Let's be honest..... No one could have replaced the genie Robin Williams in Aladdin....

I guess Will Smith was the closest you could get, but god did that movie suck still..

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Myths and Fairy tales have been translocated across land and cultures for generation after generation. This "issue" is just preposterous nonsense.

Can we not simply agree to dismiss the lunatic ravings of a proud group of anti-science racist ultra right assholes rather than fall into the same tribal need to defend even a fraction of what we may see as "our own?" Can you do that at least once?
I already dismissed the lunatic ravings in my first post of the thread. Can we simply agree that threads like this have a singular focus and that there is no interest to entertain a different perspective? Can we do that for once?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
"I dismissed their lunacy...and then of course I went to defend their honor to the very bone."

Yeah, OK man.

:D

Mar 15, 2003
It wasn’t a book. It was a short fairy tale included in a collection of fairy tales. Like virtually any old fairy tale it has been reinterpreted and illustrated differently again and again. You’re latching on to one old interpretation in an attempt to justify your opposition to a new one, but that’s not how things work.

How did you feel about Disney’s Princess and the Frog reinterpreting that one as a New Orleans tale with a black lead character? Personally, I loved it... despite having an intense dislike for Randy Newman. He actually fit this pretty well since it was New Orleans.
Let's be honest..... No one could have replaced the genie Robin Williams in Aladdin....

I guess Will Smith was the closest you could get, but god did that movie suck still..

Will Smith shouldn't have taken the gig - he's a talented guy but not a comedian and a weird fit for the role. I miss him as a dramatic actor, six degrees of separation was his best performance and that was decades ago.

Eddie Murphy could have done it. In his sleep. Jim Carey?

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Eh, they were never gonna find another Robin Williams so they might as well go with someone quite a bit different. Which, I probably wouldn't have gone with Will Smith either (it struck me as a bit of an odd choice as well; I kinda feel like he hasn't done a good comedic role in some time is the main reason I'd be a little trepidatious, now if it was young brash Fresh Prince, that might be able to work; plus at least it wasn't Shaq haha - I actually watched Kazaam recently and, I'm not saying its good, but I didn't hate it).

LOL, Kazaam. I always forget that movie was a thing.

I'm more upset that they're hashing out their cartoons for this awful "CGI everything!" period of film. Oh and by "upset" I mean, "don't care" since they're free to do what they want, people seem to be into these I guess so whatever. I grew up on Disney cartoons. They're fun and enjoyable even though they have a lot of issues (I will say, they do seem to represent society of the time they were made).

I don't see the point other than $$$. Saw the trailer for the Lion King last night and was just WTF about the whole thing.

That's the thing, they aren't taking away her character. The Ariel she grew up with is still there. She can still watch that movie. Disney will probably still put that version of Ariel on merchandise (which they've been doing it the entire time, even though that movie came out nearly 30 years ago, they're still pushing that stuff out to this day). Hopefully she can understand the value in a little black girl being able to have the experience she did, of growing up and seeing someone like her represented in the same way. I'd say positively but I'm not entirely sure that's the case (especially when the character literally wishes she had legs just so she could marry some dude). Probably not bring up that part with the wife. :p

That was my point, they are not deleting the old Ariel. But I can understand how someone creating a new version of a childhood favorite can make you feel pretty angry when they do it wrong in your opinion. We all have things we have built up in our minds from an earlier time that we cherish to some extent and for the most part people don't like to have their cheese moved. Movies are especially bad at this, they remake something that was great and usually just end up shitting all over it.

Also, she is a red head, I don't think they care at all about other people beyond how quickly they can steal their souls.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
So let me see if I get this:

A bunch of white people are mad because a fictional character isn't being portrayed by the "original" ethnicity any more? And this is cultural appropriation or some other travesty?

But these same folks are ok with "White Jesus?"

Riiiiiight.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
So let me see if I get this:

A bunch of white people are mad because a fictional character isn't being portrayed by the "original" ethnicity any more? And this is cultural appropriation or some other travesty?

But these same folks are ok with "White Jesus?"

Riiiiiight.

Nailed it.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
"I dismissed their lunacy...and then of course I went to defend their honor to the very bone."

Yeah, OK man.

:D
Dismissed their lunacy while acknowledging there is still a legitimate discussion on the topic, and a fair amount of hypocrisy, because our society is incapable of having an intelligent conversation involving race.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Dismissed their lunacy while acknowledging there is still a legitimate discussion on the topic, and a fair amount of hypocrisy, because our society is incapable of having an intelligent conversation involving race.
You want a legitimate conversation and denounce the perceived hypocrisy of people who are ok recasting a white character as someone else? You point to characters traditionally portrayed as persons of color and how abhorrent it would be viewed by some for them to be "whitewashed?" Yet when it's mentioned that one of the most famous persons of color in human history is consistently whitewashed by the very same people complaining about a mermaid that's not hypocrisy worth discussing? Methinks your complaints are contrived and illegitimate.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
You want a legitimate conversation and denounce the perceived hypocrisy of people who are ok recasting a white character as someone else? You point to characters traditionally portrayed as persons of color and how abhorrent it would be viewed by some for them to be "whitewashed?" Yet when it's mentioned that one of the most famous persons of color in human history is consistently whitewashed by the very same people complaining about a mermaid that's not hypocrisy worth discussing? Methinks your complaints are contrived and illegitimate.
Except that’s not what I said. Methinks you are easily triggered.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I'm looking forward to the live action remake of Pixar's "Cars" with casting choices done with the same principles as this movie. Maybe it will star a Pontiac Aztek.

Lightning_McQueen_Volvo_Rally_Art_Car_Central2.jpg

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Will Smith shouldn't have taken the gig - he's a talented guy but not a comedian and a weird fit for the role. I miss him as a dramatic actor, six degrees of separation was his best performance and that was decades ago.

Eddie Murphy could have done it. In his sleep. Jim Carey?

Wait, are we trying to say that the Fresh Prince is not a comedian? That MIB was a drama?
Will Smith has done well in a few dramatic rolls, but they are the exception not the rule.

Just for the record I have not seen the 'live action' just about anything because I think the entire concept of making live action versions of cartoons is stupid. Hollywood, and the entire world, should have learned that lesson with with Popeye in 1980. It had Robin Williams and Shelley Duvall and was still terrible.

Nov 8, 2012

Ding ding.

Reverse the roles and replace a black with an asian/white and there would be a complete 180 on the public reaction.

Mar 15, 2003
Wait, are we trying to say that the Fresh Prince is not a comedian? That MIB was a drama?
Will Smith has done well in a few dramatic rolls, but they are the exception not the rule.

Just for the record I have not seen the 'live action' just about anything because I think the entire concept of making live action versions of cartoons is stupid. Hollywood, and the entire world, should have learned that lesson with with Popeye in 1980. It had Robin Williams and Shelley Duvall and was still terrible.

He's a comedic actor, not a comedian. Watch him and Kevin Hart on the graham norton show (a british chat show) - Kevin Hart, who I don't particularly like, was ribbing/improving and cracking up the place because he has the improv and stage training while smith tried very hard but it was obvious he needs a script. He's a funny comedic actor, but the genie role (at least as created by Williams) needed that go with the flow energy of someone with more comedic skills